Trek 7700FX: How strong are these wheels?

Lobo Tommy

Guest
It says bonteger select but very few spokes. Would someone
who weighs 300 pounds be too heavy for this bike? If so,
what would you replace the wheels with?

> It says bonteger select but very few spokes. Would someone
> who weighs 300 pounds be too heavy for this bike? If so,
> what would you replace the wheels with?

Bontrager doesn't list a spec for max weight but, at 300lbs,
I'd say that person is a bit too "sturdy" for just about any
stock wheel. It's not so much the number of spokes as it is
the ability to hold a fairly wide tire that's going to make
the difference in durability. The Bontrager Select allows up
to, say, a 37mm tire or so (but it probably happier with
something 35mm or narrower). At 300lbs, I'd like to see
something larger than 40mm.

You could put different wheels on the bike, but you'd also
have to check for tire clearance to make sure a really big
tire would fit.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>You could put different wheels on the bike, but you'd also
>have to check for tire clearance to make sure a really big
>tire would fit.
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Hi Mike

I'm a 'husky' rider, at 245lbs, and muscular, bodybuilder
physique. Will a standard wheel be good for me, say in a
Trek Hybrid, like the 7300?

Is the Trek 7300 comparable to the Giant Cypress DX? The
Trek seems better, but not sure I could tell the difference,
could I? Do you know the weight of the 7300 off-hand? THe
Giant is supposedly 31lbs, but that seems heavy.

Thx.

-Badger

> Hi Mike
>
> I'm a 'husky' rider, at 245lbs, and muscular, bodybuilder
> physique. Will a standard wheel be good for me, say in a
> Trek Hybrid, like the 7300?
>
> Is the Trek 7300 comparable to the Giant Cypress DX? The
> Trek seems
better,
> but not sure I could tell the difference, could I? Do you
> know the weight of the 7300 off-hand? THe Giant is
> supposedly 31lbs, but that seems heavy.

Badger: I'm not at the shop right now so I don't have a
7300FX handy to weigh, but I suspect it's a bit under 30
lbs. As for being 245 lbs, providing you're religious
about tire pressure (full rated pressure at all times,
checked before each & every ride, no matter what!) you'll
probably be OK.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:05:41 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Hi Mike
>>
>> I'm a 'husky' rider, at 245lbs, and muscular, bodybuilder
>> physique. Will a standard wheel be good for me, say in a
>> Trek Hybrid, like the 7300?
>>
>> Is the Trek 7300 comparable to the Giant Cypress DX? The
>> Trek seems
>better,
>> but not sure I could tell the difference, could I? Do you
>> know the weight of the 7300 off-hand? THe Giant is
>> supposedly 31lbs, but that seems heavy.
>
>Badger: I'm not at the shop right now so I don't have a
>7300FX handy to weigh, but I suspect it's a bit under 30
>lbs. As for being 245 lbs, providing you're religious
>about tire pressure (full rated pressure at all times,
>checked before each & every ride, no matter what!) you'll
>probably be OK.
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

OK, well, if I -am- a bit lax on the air, should I get a
different kind of wheel to allow me some lee-way?

How do you compare Giant with Trek in general. Not as good?
Would I notice?

-B

> OK, well, if I -am- a bit lax on the air, should I get a
> different kind of wheel to allow me some lee-way?
>
> How do you compare Giant with Trek in general. Not as
> good? Would I
notice?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. The
wheels are fine, just keep the tires up at full rated
pressure. Can't say how the Trek compares with a Giant, as I
don't sell them and don't see that many coming in the shop.
I can say that Trek has a long history of making very good
bikes and has always been known to stand behind their
product. Most feel they have the best warranty service in
the business.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

snip I can say that Trek has a long history of making very
good
> bikes and has always been known to stand behind their
> product. Most feel they have the best warranty service in
> the business.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

They may make good bikes, but in my recent experience, their
supposed warranty is ****...PERIOD.

I have a Bontrager Race X Lite rear wheel that is
defective in ³materials and workmanship²..Trek won¹t evan
talk about it.

Nice Bikes - Caveat Emptor on the parts warranty...

HAND

> They may make good bikes, but in my recent experience,
> their supposed
warranty
> is ****...PERIOD.
>
> I have a Bontrager Race X Lite rear wheel that is
> defective in ³materials
and
> workmanship²..Trek won¹t evan talk about it.

I looked up an earlier thread of yours regarding bearing
play on some Bontrager Race X-Lites; is that what you're
talking about? The information I didn't see (but would like
to know) is-

#1: How many miles on the wheels, and when did the problem
# first appear?
#2: What did the shop do to try and solve the problem?
#3: Did the shop mention that the wheels could be sent to
# Hugi (in
Colorado) if need be, for rebuilding?

For what it's worth, there's virtually nothing that we can't
do in-house with a Hugi/Trek hub. Once in a while we get
temporarily stumped, but have had no problem resolving
things via phone calls or email with one of the tech guys at
Trek. Of course, we're one of those obstinate type of shops
that can't stand sending things out if there's a way to do
something ourselves (with the recent and notable exception
of suspension forks, which we've given up trying to keep on
top of, with their constantly-changing internals... there's
just no way to have the parts you need for anything that
might come in the door).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <ya%[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > They may make good bikes, but in my recent experience,
> > their supposed
> warranty
> > is ****...PERIOD.
> >
> > I have a Bontrager Race X Lite rear wheel that is
> > defective in ³materials
> and
> > workmanship²..Trek won¹t evan talk about it.
>
> I looked up an earlier thread of yours regarding bearing
> play on some Bontrager Race X-Lites; is that what you're
> talking about? The information I didn't see (but would
> like to know) is-
>
> #1: How many miles on the wheels, and when did the
> # problem first appear?

about 200 miles

> #2: What did the shop do to try and solve the problem?

replaced bearings with Trek supplied bearings - same problem

> #3: Did the shop mention that the wheels could be sent to
> # Hugi (in
> Colorado) if need be, for rebuilding?

getting them to do this is like pulling hens teeth, they
want to fix it in house. The wheel is defective however,
and I doubt tht it can be repaired. Its called ³infant
mortality² in most industries.

> For what it's worth, there's virtually nothing that we
> can't do in-house with a Hugi/Trek hub. Once in a while we
> get temporarily stumped, but have had no problem resolving
> things via phone calls or email with one of the tech guys
> at Trek. Of course, we're one of those obstinate type of
> shops that can't stand sending things out if there's a way
> to do something ourselves (with the recent and notable
> exception of suspension forks, which we've given up trying
> to keep on top of, with their constantly-changing
> internals... there's just no way to have the parts you
> need for anything that might come in the door).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

The shop mechanics have called Hugi several times but have
gotten no response. Their ³suggestion² is to buy new,
handbuilt wheels with serviceable hubs. They are right of
course, but I paid $750US for these pieces of **** and they
should last longer than a few days.

I appreciate your response.

HAND

> The shop mechanics have called Hugi several times but have
> gotten no
response.
> Their ³suggestion² is to buy new, handbuilt wheels with
> serviceable hubs.
They
> are right of course, but I paid $750US for these pieces of
> **** and they
should
> last longer than a few days.
>
> I appreciate your response.
>
> HAND

I've forwarded your info to someone at TREK, but your email
may be bouncing back. If you've got a munged email address,
could you send me an appropriate "real" address privately?

Thanks-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > The shop mechanics have called Hugi several times but
> > have gotten no
> response.
> > Their ³suggestion² is to buy new, handbuilt wheels with
> > serviceable hubs.
> They
> > are right of course, but I paid $750US for these pieces
> > of **** and they
> should
> > last longer than a few days.
> >
> > I appreciate your response.
> >
> > HAND
>
> I've forwarded your info to someone at TREK, but your
> email may be bouncing back. If you've got a munged email
> address, could you send me an appropriate "real" address
> privately?
>
> Thanks-
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Finally got bearings from a swiss company. ³Enduro² I think.
Mechanic at LBS rebuilt the entire hub and everything
appears to be OK. There is no more wobble ( side to side ).

Thanks for forwarding info to Trek. There may be a batch of
faulty bearings out there, but I seem to be the only one
with the problem.

My LBS, as busy as they are, has solved the problem so now I
am a happy camper.

I hope no one else goes through this, or at least they can
benefit from the experience.

HAND.....:)