Trek 7700FX

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by M Powell, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. M Powell

    M Powell Guest

    New bike, with about 300 miles on it. It's a 9-speed, and I'm surprised that
    the gears seem spaced more widely than I'm expecting. Seems like I get a
    cadence choice of either 95 or 85 to maintain a speed. On my old bike there
    was more like a 6-rpm difference. Is this a Trek/Shimano "feature"that I
    need to get used to, or is this a personal preference item where you change
    out the cassette?

    --M. Powell
    remove first p to reply

    Tags:

  2. > New bike, with about 300 miles on it. It's a 9-speed, and I'm surprised
    > that
    > the gears seem spaced more widely than I'm expecting. Seems like I get a
    > cadence choice of either 95 or 85 to maintain a speed. On my old bike
    > there
    > was more like a 6-rpm difference. Is this a Trek/Shimano "feature"that I
    > need to get used to, or is this a personal preference item where you
    > change
    > out the cassette?

    That's pretty much a "feature" of a wide-range cassette. Since it's a
    9-speed, you have many options available, if you don't mind slicing off a
    bit of the low-end.

    Where is the jump that you're noticing?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "M Powell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > New bike, with about 300 miles on it. It's a 9-speed, and I'm surprised
    > that
    > the gears seem spaced more widely than I'm expecting. Seems like I get a
    > cadence choice of either 95 or 85 to maintain a speed. On my old bike
    > there
    > was more like a 6-rpm difference. Is this a Trek/Shimano "feature"that I
    > need to get used to, or is this a personal preference item where you
    > change
    > out the cassette?
    >
    > --M. Powell
    > remove first p to reply

  3. Paul Bauer

    Paul Bauer Guest

    Its a wider gear ratio used on that model.(ala touring bikes and mountain
    bikes)
    If it is not to your liking, by all means change out the cassette.

    Paul

    "M Powell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > New bike, with about 300 miles on it. It's a 9-speed, and I'm surprised
    > that
    > the gears seem spaced more widely than I'm expecting. Seems like I get a
    > cadence choice of either 95 or 85 to maintain a speed. On my old bike
    > there
    > was more like a 6-rpm difference. Is this a Trek/Shimano "feature"that I
    > need to get used to, or is this a personal preference item where you
    > change
    > out the cassette?
    >
    > --M. Powell
    > remove first p to reply

  4. Fx199

    Fx199 Guest

    >New bike, with about 300 miles on it. It's a 9-speed, and I'm surprised that
    >the gears seem spaced more widely than I'm expecting. Seems like I get a
    >cadence choice of either 95 or 85 to maintain a speed. On my old bike there
    >was more like a 6-rpm difference. Is this a Trek/Shimano "feature"that I
    >need to get used to, or is this a personal preference item where you change
    >out the cassette?
    >
    >--M. Powell
    >remove first p to reply

    I have the same bike. It seems like the big front cog is way too big, I
    generally use the middle ring. I like the bike quite a bit though, how about
    you? If you change the cassette out, please post your results.