Trek 7700FX

Sstangler

Guest
I bought the Trek 7700FX last year. I only test rode the Trek 7500 and 7700, as I knew I wanted a
high end hybrid and the did not have any of the Cannondales. (The Trek Cyclocross bikes were out of
my price range.) There is quite a bit of difference between the two Treks. The 7500 is built a bit
more like a MTB, the gearing and frame angles seemed to me a lot like my old Trek 7000 MTB. I don't
know a lot about components, but I think the 7700 has a lot better components as well, and the
geometry is a bit more like a touring bike. It only took a short ride on each for me to tell which
one I wanted, so I recommend you do the same. I've been so happy with mine that my husband is
thinking of buying the 2003 7700FX, and it looks pretty slick. The Cane Creek bar ends are awesome,
and this year the 7700 (at least the one we looked at) had Shimano clipless pedals. (That's my next
purchase if anyone has any recommendations.)

Good luck!

Shana Germantown, WI Training for my 1st Century!

The 7700FX looks to be a nice bike for the cross/aggressive hybrid. I'm looking for a similar new
ride - one LBS this weekend pointed out the '03 Raleigh C700 which has a nice component set for
significantly less bucks ($650).

"SStangler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought the Trek 7700FX last year. I only test rode the Trek 7500 and
7700,
> as I knew I wanted a high end hybrid and the did not have any of the Cannondales. (The Trek
> Cyclocross bikes were out of my price range.)
There is
> quite a bit of difference between the two Treks. The 7500 is built a bit
more
> like a MTB, the gearing and frame angles seemed to me a lot like my old
Trek
> 7000 MTB. I don't know a lot about components, but I think the 7700 has a
lot
> better components as well, and the geometry is a bit more like a touring
bike.
> It only took a short ride on each for me to tell which one I wanted, so I recommend you do the
> same. I've been so happy with mine that my husband
is
> thinking of buying the 2003 7700FX, and it looks pretty slick. The Cane
Creek
> bar ends are awesome, and this year the 7700 (at least the one we looked
at)
> had Shimano clipless pedals. (That's my next purchase if anyone has any recommendations.)
>
> Good luck!
>
> Shana Germantown, WI Training for my 1st Century!

The Cane Creek
> bar ends are awesome, and this year the 7700 (at least the one we looked at) had Shimano clipless
> pedals. (That's my next purchase if anyone has any recommendations.)

cheap interim solution:

pair of toeclips and straps. Twelve bucks US, maximum.

Advantages:

-cheap -increased efficiency over no clips at all -no slipping off the pedals in the rain -can ride
in normal shoes.

pity you didn't go for a dropped-bar bike, but oh well. There are other options, besides the Trek
520, after all: the Fuji Touring or Jamis Aurora are great deals.

bon courage!

-Luigi

[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The Cane Creek
> > bar ends are awesome, and this year the 7700 (at least the one we looked at) had Shimano
> > clipless pedals. (That's my next purchase if anyone has any recommendations.)
>
> cheap interim solution:
>
> pair of toeclips and straps. Twelve bucks US, maximum.
>
> Advantages:
>
> -cheap -increased efficiency over no clips at all -no slipping off the pedals in the rain -can
> ride in normal shoes.
>
> pity you didn't go for a dropped-bar bike, but oh well. There are other options, besides the Trek
> 520, after all: the Fuji Touring or Jamis Aurora are great deals.
>
> bon courage!
>
> -Luigi

Oh, I have toe clips, and they are fine, but I'm one of those that needs the equipment to keep me
motivated. I'm sure there were plenty of other options for touring bikes, but I was set on a Trek as
I've had such great experience with them in the past, and also set on a hybrid so I could do around
the town riding with my kids, as well as longer distances.

> Oh, I have toe clips, and they are fine, but I'm one of those that needs the equipment to keep me
> motivated.

Gear guzzling--it can happen to anyone. *grin*

My gear appetite tends to rather small things lately; next thing to get (soon as I get a free minute
to ride down to the cycle shop) will be a nice reflective trouser clip. Not so much because of the
visibility; that's a plus. It just saves my trouser cuffs from getting all nasty from the chain. (so
far haven't needed to ride in anything exceedingly smart, clothingwise, anyway; grad students,
especially on bikes, are never expected to be the greatest exponents of sartorial excess, anyway)

Good weather and a buzz would keep me motivated. And on my longest ride to date, the prospect of
blueberry pancakes motivated me pretty well. Mostly, though, I stay on the bike as a result of
bloody mindedness: this is how I get around, or try to, when it's handiest.

>I'm sure there were plenty of other options for touring bikes, but I was set on a Trek as I've had
>such great experience with them in the past, and also set on a hybrid so I could do around the town
>riding with my kids, as well as longer distances.

Tourer's aren't just for distance! I dig mine for anything from the long day ride (over 50 miles)
or the quick spin to pick up the papers (under 2 miles). straight flat bars are not for
me--uncomfortable. even my POS 3-speed here in London (necessarily a POS, as it has to be parked
outside permanently, and would be stolen otherwise) has quasi-moustache 'bars. (with bar tape!
very comfy!)

This will brand me as hopelessly fredly, but I think that the clipless pedals on a bike that you
intend to use for 'going around town' might asymptotically approach a 'bad idea.' You want to get on
the bike and go, you should be able to just get on the bike and go. Strapping on new shoes (or, for
the mentalist, drilling holes in *all* your existing shoes to take cleats...surely this is
possible/has been done?) just to pick up a paper and a loaf of bread strikes me as really silly. And
bike shoes generally would look out of place at church on sunday...

I'll go clipless, eventually, but for longer distances, on a 'gofastfar' bike. Right now, the Aurora
really needs a pair of MKS platform pedals (conveniently hanging on a peg at the bike shop down the
road, but then, inconveniently, the shop and road and I am in England, and the Aurora's back in
Virginia...)

-Luigi

"We must not become complacent over any success. We should check our complacency and constantly
criticize our shortcomings, just as we should wash our faces or sweep the floor every day to remove
the dirt and keep them clean."