Trek 8000 frame out of alignment

Frank

Guest
I recently bought a TREK 8000 (2003 year model). All components are stock. Ever since I got it I
have had problems with the drive chain. I'm constantly experiencing a thrown chain and chain suck.
It even happens on smooth hard pack trails. The LSB have adjusted the drive chain twice but it has
not solved the problem.

Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where the
rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a difference of
3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference – less than 1mm. That
tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?

To support why I believe it is a misaligned frame I mounted the wheel opposite and measured the same
distances again. All measurements were as before within 0.3mm. That proves the wheel is correct and
the frame is out of alignment. Besides that this is unacceptable I'm wondering if this could explain
why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

I unmounted and remounted the wheel several times to be sure it was properly seated. I was able to
repeat all measurements within 0.2mm.

What's an acceptable tolerance for a frame?

Any suggestions and help are highly appreciated.

Frank

On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email protected] (Frank) blathered:

>Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where the
>rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a difference
>of 3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference – less than 1mm.
>That tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?

Could be, but not necessarily; just because the seatstays aren't exactly symmetrical it doesn't mean
the rear wheel dropouts are misaligned relative to the rest of the frame. How does it ride
'no-hands'? Search the web - you can check frame alignment by running a bit of string from your
dropouts, forward round your headtube and back:

Two thirds of the way down this page - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html Also -
http://yarchive.net/bike/frame_bending.html

>if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.

Bontrager components....?

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email protected] (Frank) blathered:
>
> >Today I noticed another problem. The rear wheel is not properly aligned between the tubes where
> >the rear brake is mounted. When measuring from the tube to the rim from both sides I see a
> >difference of 3.2mm. If I instead measure at the chainstay I see a much smaller difference ? less
> >than 1mm. That tells me that the frame is out of alignment, not the wheel. Correct?
>
> Could be, but not necessarily; just because the seatstays aren't exactly symmetrical it doesn't
> mean the rear wheel dropouts are misaligned relative to the rest of the frame. How does it ride
> 'no-hands'?

It probably rides like most trek frames with no hands, veering to one side or the other due to
warpage in the heat treating process. They can be quite ridiculous in that respect.

> >if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.
>
> Bontrager components....?

After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such shitty
components? I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

JD

On 26 Apr 2003 07:02:31 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

>> >if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.
>>
>> Bontrager components....?
>
>After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such shitty
>components? I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

I'd never experienced chainsuck until I bought the 8000 with its crappy Bontrager chainset.

Chainsuck FAQ - http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email protected] (Frank) blathered:
> > >if this could explain why I'm having so much trouble with the drive chain.
> >
> > Bontrager components....?
>
> After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such shitty
> components?

Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower price
points. He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru. He probably gets a pretty sweet
salary and royalties from the deal (I don't know the specifics.) AFAIK: Bontrager components is
owned by Trek.

> I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.

Bontrager cranks are re-branded Truvativ. Isn't that right?

-Barry

I woudnt sweat the frame alignment thing until you take it to an LBS and had it checked with an
alignment tool. My 8000's rear triangle is not close to looking straight, but when looked at on a
jig, its fine.

In regards to Bonti stuff, yes they are owned by Trek, but some of their stuff...a lot if it
actually is quite good. I just picked up a set of Bonti Maverick hoops and glad I did. Ill take
American made Bonti/Trek over that frog **** from Paris any day.

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:GjIqa.659939$S_4.708423@rwcrnsc53...

> > Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email protected] (Frank) blathered:
> > >
> > > Bontrager components....?
> >
> > After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such
> > shitty components?
>
> Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower price
> points. He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru. He probably gets a pretty sweet
> salary and royalties from the deal (I don't know the specifics.) AFAIK: Bontrager components is
> owned by Trek.
>
> > I wouldn't wish a Bontranger drivetrain component on anyone but the worst of barneys.
>
> Bontrager cranks are re-branded Truvativ. Isn't that right?
>
> -Barry

My Trek 6500 (2002) had a similar problem re the Bontrager components. I quickly replaced the rear
derailler with a shimano LX and it has made a world of difference.

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<GjIqa.659939$S_4.708423@rwcrnsc53>...
> > Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > On 26 Apr 2003 00:40:28 -0700, [email protected] (Frank) blathered:
> > >
> > > Bontrager components....?
> >
> > After his cool Privateer frames of days gone by, wh the hell would he put his name on such
> > shitty components?
>
> Trek bought the Bontrager name. I doubt if Keith has much say in it, especially at the lower
> price points.

He sold his name, so it's ultimately his fault.

> He's being retained as a consultant and figurehead/guru.

Either they're not listening, or he's not consulting.

> He probably gets a pretty sweet salary and royalties from the deal.

Sweet salary? What's that, sugar-coated cash? (pun intended) If selling my name to The Machine means
losing personal integrity by having it plastered all over **** components, the salary could only be
BITTER. Money doesn't mean **** if you sell your Soul.

JD

> Sweet salary? What's that, sugar-coated cash? (pun intended) If selling my name to The Machine
> means losing personal integrity by having it plastered all over **** components, the salary could
> only be BITTER. Money doesn't mean **** if you sell your Soul.
>
> JD

"What profit a man that gains the world and loses his own soul."

I used to think that was a badass quote when Dracula said it to me in Castlevania, then I found out
it was from the Bible. It's still appropriate for Ken's situation, though.

For what it's worth, the Bontrager seatpost on my beater works like a champ
:)

Chris (is just breaking KB's balls...I really like Bontrager wheels, and I don't care what anyone
has to say about it)