Trek 8500 frame

bendt-b

Aug 16, 2009
I have a 19.5 inches Trek 8500 frame. Is it possible to buy e.g. GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc Hardtail Bike 2010 and take the parts from the GT and put them on my Trek 8500 frame? Tools are not a problem, I just need to know if it is possible? (Maybe with another bike brand, cube? Or can it only be done with Trek 19.5 inches bikes?

Yes, it is possible. Though some of the parts may fit properly without knowing more detailed information about each bike e.g. bottom bracket, front derailleur, headset, seat post and clamp.

As I see it, I just have to make sure that the following things are equal in size:

Bottom bracket, headset, saddle pole(?), height and wheel size. I do not know about the length of the bike, that should not matter, should it? The only problem with length would be a longer chain, right?

Yours sincerely,
Bendt-B

(Sowy for bad engrish)

bendt-b said:
I have a 19.5 inches Trek 8500 frame. Is it possible to buy e.g. GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc Hardtail Bike 2010 and take the parts from the GT and put them on my Trek 8500 frame? Tools are not a problem, I just need to know if it is possible? (Maybe with another bike brand, cube? Or can it only be done with Trek 19.5 inches bikes?
Why do you want to change the parts from your Trek 8500 to the GT frame?

Did something happen to your Trek?

Moving parts from a hardtail which is the same size as another (or, to a smaller frame) probably won't be a problem -- you can use the cable housing and/or cables from the GT with your Trek's shifters/brakes/derailleurs.

If you were to move parts to a larger frame, then you would probably need new cable housings and/or cables.

The headsets may not be interchangeable between frames, but otherwise you should probably be good-to-go for most of the other components...

AFAIK, both frames use a 31.6 seatpost.

The chain on your Trek is probably long enough for use on the GT-or-any-hardtail frame.

The wheels on your Trek can be used on the GT.

Hi, it is the other way around. I want to take the parts from the GT, and put them on my Trek 8500, because that frame is much better :)

I am glad you have confirmed my thoughts, although I have a last question, what about the bottom bracket, is that the same size on all MTB's?

bendt-b said:
Hi, it is the other way around. I want to take the parts from the GT, and put them on my Trek 8500, because that frame is much better :)

I am glad you have confirmed my thoughts, although I have a last question, what about the bottom bracket, is that the same size on all MTB's?
Most MTB Bottom Brackets seem to be configured for 73mm BB shells & come with shims for use on frame whose BB shell width is only 68mm.

I'm not sure if a shim is used for the external BBs (e.g., Hollowtech II & MegaExo) which are intended to be used with XT/etc. Hollowtech II cranksets when installed in a MTB frame which has a 68mm shell.

You shouldn't have a problem moving the one crank & BB over to the other frame; but, who knows until you actually have the second frame & measure the width of the BB shell?

If you do encounter a mis-match, the solution that you may need will be easily implemented.

Super, I guess I have to take my frame to my local bike shop and let them have a look at it. I think they are better suited to this kind of assignment than me. ;)