~R said:So far, 400 miles. The 72 was the best hybrid they had available
in the store. I was just getting back into cycling after about 2
yrs off. I had moved to a new city and it was a combination of
getting used to the way idiots drive around here and settiling in
with the new job/house/etc. I didn't want to get too fancy at
first, in case it didn't work out that I was going to get really
into riding again. Like I told the LBS guy, if it works out that
I get really into riding, I'll come back next spring and get the
better bike, either a top of the line hybrid or a road bike. So
far, I'm getting into it, riding to work as often as possible. I
ride about 4 days a week.
thanks for all the replies!
~Rob
Well that's certainly enough to let you know if the bike fits. As Chris
says, though that bike might fit some people, the 'relaxed geometry',
sloped top tube and wide grip straight bars that camber your wrists can be
torture to some riders.
When I got back on my hybrid (I have the 7500fx) when my road bike was in
the shop it still fit pretty well, but holding my arms out a full 43 cm
between them, it really felt unnatural. My wrists are cambered out from 180
degrees (or straight wrists and arms) to about 210 degrees, and the wider
grip pulls me forward putting more pressure on the hands. If it wasn't a
riser bar, I'd shift all the componentry inward to allow something similar
to that nice 33cm distance I have on my roadbike (a 42cm width bar, but
allowing 33cm from inner wrist bone to wrist bone). But I can't since
there's no room, beyond an inch or so total because of the bar camber. ;-(
I also don't like the straight bar because now I find the palms down grip
uncomfortable and I really like the thumbs up palms facing grip I get on
the road bike on the hoods. I'm actually a bit more upright because my arms
are closer together, but when riding I can easily bend the arms and get
more aero. I'm nicely stretched out, unlike the position on the straight
bar hybrid.
I think your plan is a good one. Just remember, when you go back, test ride
some more, get them to put the bike on a trainer in the store to get
everything aligned, make sure you can get in the drops ok. Then when the
seat is at the right height the bars are right, the stem is right, or
swapped for a longer one, (or inverted), go out and ride around the area
near the shop. Try to find a short hill, stand to pedal, yada, yada.
Might be a good time to go clipless too. When you get back have them fit
you for good shoes, and mid-priced clipless pedals and ride them on the
trainer practicing getting clipped in and out. Besides the other obvious
value of clipless pedals you have the added feature that it puts your foot
in the same place every time you ride. You can really groove in your pedal
stroke, etc.
Good luck and thanks for the reply.
jj