Trek Bikes not honoring their warranty... ONE MORE TIME.

Dennyvazquez

Nov 9, 2010
I was afraid of what it is being every day more popular over the web... "Trek not honoring their warranty on OCLV frames".

I read this in dozens of websites, and now I'm one of those who are living the experience by myself. I have to say that since I started riding mountainbikes I have never used another brands than TREK and GARY FISHER, we started with couple of trek's 4500 and then moved to GF tassajara, and GF Sugar 3 everything was perfect, even this days my son is riding his old trek 4500 not that he loves to do so, because that bike is a 18", but rather because TREK has not warranted the 21" OCLV carbon frame on the bike he was using.

This are the facts:

When riding in a night race my son who appears on this picture with his bike was riding his ELITE 9.9 OCLV trek bike.

When passing a dip, he heard a crack, he thought it was the saddle so he stoped for few seconds to check, when he noticed the other racers were approaching so he continued the race.

Next day he was cleaning his bike and the cloth got trapped in the paint he called me and unfortunately it was more than a pain chip he got a crack on the seatstay.

Here is a picture of the damage... it does not go all the way around, but 50% of the tube, it does not make any noise when riding it and even hitting the frame does not sound like a broken, but I thought it was unsafe to continue using the frame, so we tooked to the local dealer, they took some pictures and sent those to the factory, they asked to get the frame, so we removed all the components and sent it, after couple of weeks TREK guys decided it is a NO WARRANTY ISSUE...

This is the message we received.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= blue]Trek has inspected the frame and does not think it is a warranty. They would like to cut open the frame for further inspection, but that would completely destroy it. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience and I'll explain some options.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

So we called and we were explained that they want our authorization to cut the frame for further inspection but that will leave the frame unrepairable, we ask them what we are going to get back and they said... NOTHING.

I asked for their "Customer Loyalty Program" and they throw me this on the face.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= blue]Trek does have replacement frames available. They only stock Elite 9.9 framesets though. No aluminum. Retail on the 9.9 frame is $2730. $2184 with the discount. They can also discount an entire bike if you would rather go that route. Let me know which option you prefer, and I'll get the order process started.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

So I decided to get back the frame and write a couple of companies that fix broken frames and all of them say it is a very repairable frame, they offer me a 5 years warranty on the repair and all 3 they think I should have to take an attorney and take TREK to the court because the type of the damage which as you can see in the picture it is clearly not an abuse, but mora a failure..

I have to think about that, cause I do not want to spend a lot of money on attorney, waste time on court, but I will get an approach with 1 or 2 lawyers before I decide what to do.

One thing is for sure... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BIKE FROM TREK.

I thought I will write on a website called TREKSUCKS.COM I have heard of it long time ago and I found that it does not longer exist... the domain was purchased... by TREK Bicycle Corporation... I whonder why.... but I start having an idea.

www.treksucks.com
Domain Administrator
Trek Bicycle Corporation
801 West Madison Street
Waterloo WI 53594
US
[email protected] +1.9204782191

BEWARE OF OCLV TREK BIKES.

Daniel.

Did they tell you why it's not a warranty issue? Do they think the crack is the result of a crash? Maybe you ran over it with your car?

You can tell the damage wasn't from being ran over or a crash. Other OCLV frames coming out of China have been suffering similar fates, either at the stay or the seat tube. BUT, I've heard Trek WAS taking care of those problems through the warranty on other forums. So I'm not sure what your complaint is all about, unless your not telling us everything about the nature of the damage.

I just bought my 4 series Trek MTB, I asked them about the warranty and what it does cover.
they told they it only covers the crank and brake system. not the frame.