trek bikes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dailuggs, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Value for money? hopefully ill be importing mine from the states to save a lot of money going for trek 1500 i think, save about £600 by buying from america, so at the american prices do you reckon there good value for money, i reckon they look top notch, even at uk prices let alone us, but maybe not?!?

    ill be bringning it in myself by plane and ill be able to get the bike fitted properly etc, also any ideas if ill have to pay import duty and VAT when bringing the bike in? ill also be bringing an ipod but i can get that through without paying

    cheers all!

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dailuggs wrote:
    > Value for money? hopefully ill be importing mine from the states to save a lot of money going for
    > trek 1500 i think, save about £600 by buying from america, so at the american prices do you reckon
    > there good value for money, i reckon they look top notch, even at uk prices let alone us, but
    > maybe not?!?
    >
    > ill be bringning it in myself by plane and ill be able to get the bike fitted properly etc, also
    > any ideas if ill have to pay import duty and VAT when bringing the bike in? ill also be bringing
    > an ipod but i can get that through without paying

    Good luck. I would check the specifications. Looking at the UK sites they seem to be all Ultegra
    whereas the US sites have them as a mix of Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra. It wouldn't be the first time
    I've seen bikes with the same name but different finishing kits on each side of the Atlantic.

    It could also be rather expensive if they stop you and a bike is hardly the smallest thing to sneak
    through with. About 35% duty and VAT otherwise and that's before they start applying the penal
    increases assuming they let you off rather than confiscating it. Don't forget also you will need to
    add local sales tax - about 6-10% typically - to the US ticket price in most States

    Tony

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Good luck. I would check the specifications. Looking at the UK sites they seem to be all Ultegra
    > whereas the US sites have them as a mix of Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra. It wouldn't be the first time
    > I've seen bikes with the same name but different finishing kits on each side of the Atlantic.

    Just confirmed: If you compare http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/1500.jsp with
    http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004/road/performance/1500.php

    you will find they are different bikes with the same name, The clue is one has a semi-integrated
    headset. Overall the US model is a cheaper bike:

    US Model:

    FRAMESET: FRAME: Alpha SL aluminum FORK: Bontrager Race Carbon

    WHEELS: WHEELS: Bontrager Select TIRES: Bontrager Select, 700x25c

    DRIVETRAIN: SHIFTERS: Shimano 105 FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Tiagra REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano Ultegra
    CRANKSET: Bontrager Race 52/42/30 w/ISIS CASSETTE: Shimano HG-50 12-25, 9 speed PEDALS: Alloy road,
    sealed, w/clips and straps

    COMPONENTS: SADDLE: Bontrager CRZ road SEATPOST: Bontrager Sport HANDLEBARS: Bontrager Ergo STEM:
    Road ahead, flip/flop, 17 degree HEADSET: Aheadset, semi-cartridge, sealed BRAKESET: Alloy dual
    pivot w/Shimano 105 STI levers

    UK Model

    FULL SPECIFICATIONS

    FRAMESET: FRAME: Alpha SL aluminum FORK: Carbon with alloy steerer

    WHEELS: WHEELS: Bontrager Select TIRES: Bontrager Select, 700x23c

    DRIVETRAIN: SHIFTERS: Shimano Ultegra FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Ultegra REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano
    Ultegra CRANKSET: Shimano Ultegra 53/39 or 52/42/30 CASSETTE: Shimano HG-50 12-25, 9 speed
    PEDALS: N/A

    COMPONENTS: SADDLE: Bontrager Road SEATPOST: Bontrager Select HANDLEBARS: Alloy Ergo STEM: Road
    ahead, flip/flop, 10 degree HEADSET: Aheadset, semi-integrated, sealed BRAKESET: Shimano Ultegra

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:44:47 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Just confirmed: If you compare http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/1500.jsp with
    >http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004/road/performance/1500.php you will find they are different
    >bikes with the same name,

    Lance, if you're lurking, make sure you get your bikes from the UK catalogue for next
    year's Tour, OK?

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    dailuggs <[email protected]> wrote:

    : ill be bringning it in myself by plane and ill be able to get the bike fitted properly etc, also
    : any ideas if ill have to pay import duty and VAT when bringing the bike in?

    This has been covered many times. Baically, you're unlikely to save much money. You have to pay
    import duty @ some % (15? I can't remember) and then VAT at 17.5% on the new total.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:51:25 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lance, if you're lurking, make sure you get your bikes from the UK catalogue for next year's
    >Tour, OK?

    Dont worry. He probably won't be riding the budget model.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  7. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003

    thanx for the help guys, though ive found a sort of loop hole, if its been owned for 6 months or more it isnt susseptable to import duty and vat, so hopefully ill get my relatives in the states to bring it back when they come over, no import duty and no vat :)

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dailuggs wrote:

    > thanx for the help guys, though ive found a sort of loop hole, if its been owned for 6 months or
    > more it isnt susseptable to import duty and vat, so hopefully ill get my relatives in the states
    > to bring it back when they come over, no import duty and no vat :)

    Erm no. You have to live outside the EU for those 6 months for that to apply. Of course it has been
    known for relatives to bring their bike over for their vacation and forget to take it back with them
    ;-) But as I said its not the same bike so you might compare like for like in quality and you'll
    probably find something in the sales in the UK competitive in price with the US Trek 1500 with the
    benefits of it being here and the back up of a valid warranty

    Tony

  9. Buggs Bunny

    Buggs Bunny Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:24:36 +0000, dailuggs wrote:

    > Value for money? hopefully ill be importing mine from the states to save a lot of money going for
    > trek 1500 i think, save about £600 by buying from america, so at the american prices do you reckon
    > there good value for money, i reckon they look top notch, even at uk prices let alone us, but
    > maybe not?!?
    >
    > ill be bringning it in myself by plane and ill be able to get the bike fitted properly etc, also
    > any ideas if ill have to pay import duty and VAT when bringing the bike in? ill also be bringing
    > an ipod but i can get that through without paying
    >
    > cheers all!

    I dont know the truth in this bit I remember reading it in an MTB mag years ago. Take a bike with
    you (an old crap one) but give it a quick clean to make it look like its used. Pay the extra to take
    your bike with you. When you get to the states and out of sight of airport;) throw the bike away.
    Buy your new bike but GET IT DIRTY. I'm pretty certain a few rogue bike shops used this method a few
    years ago. But I'm not recommending it