TREK decals wanted - any idea ?

old&slow

Jun 23, 2003
I'm doing a repaint on a Trek 5200 and Trek Australia will not sell me any sort of frame sticker. Anybody, anywhere been able to buy them ? (I don't necessarily want the correct sticker) Any leads much appreciated.

A friend of mine had her 2000 trek repainted in the 2003 colors and got the decals from a signmaking company. It will take a few days for the first batch because of the scanning and re-drawing process. But afterwards they can make it while you wait in any size you want. You can even get a Project One bike this way. Give it a go.

When I repainted my Giant, Giant Australia happily sent me a set of stickers. Perhaps you could give them a call - and be riding a brand new model Giant that no-one has ever seen before! :)

Thanks Brendan, I actually like that idea ! I've thought about it a little more, got more angry and have given Trek a polite serve so will see what reply I get. I've got two Treks representing a very considerable investment and just don't think that's good enough. I'm not trying to defraud anybody and have offered to provide the frame number or actually present it to a Trek dealer for verification. I'm thinking I might be lucky that I've never had a warranty issue with them because this doesn't bode well !

:) Just out of interest, is the Trek 5200 aluminimum or carbon fibre? I've been thinking of re-painting my carbon MTB (also a Giant) but I'm not sure a) if it is possible, or b) what kind of paint to use.

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Brendan

The 5200 is carbon. No problem, standard automotive 2-pack paint but, obviously enough, air dryed and not baked. And you've got to prepare the surface by hand sanding only, no chemical stripper, blasting or such.

Great - sounds pretty straight forward.

Now if only I can work out what "2-pack automotive paint" is in Japanese. :cool:

I just spoke to a trek rep and he said trek would sell stickers for something like $10US. Call the factory directly.