Trek Elance 330

TroyP5

Dec 11, 2015
Hi, I'm looking to get into cycling and I've been on a search for my first bike. I'm a college student in San Diego, and found a bike on craigslist. It looks to be in good shape and refurbished. I'm going tomorrow to buy it from the owner for 100$. Can anyone look at the listing and tell me if they see anything that may be a problem or if this is a good price. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/5337277370.html

If your height is between about 5'4" and 5'7" and this bike were in good operating condition, I'd say yes. I don't know your height.

The bike looks rideable but not pleasant or safe. First, it's almost 40 years old. The brake cables and housings are visibly shot (maybe $25 plus labor). The owner couldn't be bothered to straighten out the brake lever after crashing and before putting the bike up for sale. And then I'd ask when the chain, freewheel, shift cables, brake pads, and tires were last replaced. If it was more than three years ago, these will most likely need to be replaced.

To bring this to a level of safety and reliability will take a trip to the bike shop and spending $40-200. In good rider condition (cosmetic wear but operating like new) it might be worth $150. Proceed accordingly.

Reactions: steve