Trek ends relationship with Lemond

thoughtforfood said:
OK, I was with you right up until you dissed mountain biking....there is no better aggression release than bombing through the woods in excess of 20 mph, NONE. Actually, I have hated Trek since they bought Bontrager. He used to make sweet hard tails, then the mass market slimebags got a hold of the company and turned it into just another cookie cutter bike.

Give me a bunch of potheads with some Reynolds 953 and a jig, and I will buy your bike....ok, Vanilla and Seven probably don't have a bunch of potheads hanging around, and Ibis now makes carbon (Still have my Alibi, and am looking for a Mojo purchased by a little old lady who only rode it to church.) I might be in for a Pegoretti in the next few years in terms of road. The rest of the Specialgianttreck'ojunks can all be thrown off a large cliff...so long as someone hikes down and cleans up the mess..as far as I am concerned.
Maybe I overstate things on occasion.... I was a roadie long before the MTB scene exploded then died. I enjoy MTB'ing but am a roadie at heart. Not a fan of the MTB crossover racers, if you haven't noticed. Their technique is abysmal, they have a habit of sucking wheels, staring at their front wheel when they climb, and of course the incessant whining.

I strongly considered a Pegoretti for my last frame as he makes some sweet steel bikes, but I never liked his paint schemes. There are some good framebuilders in the US and I've always liked Waterfords, especially when they were making Paramounts back in the day. I'm a little partial to Italian frames, though, as you need some style in addition to performance.

fscyclist said:
Maybe I overstate things on occasion.... I was a roadie long before the MTB scene exploded then died. I enjoy MTB'ing but am a roadie at heart. Not a fan of the MTB crossover racers, if you haven't noticed. Their technique is abysmal, they have a habit of sucking wheels, staring at their front wheel when they climb, and of course the incessant whining.

I strongly considered a Pegoretti for my last frame as he makes some sweet steel bikes, but I never liked his paint schemes. There are some good framebuilders in the US and I've always liked Waterfords, especially when they were making Paramounts back in the day. I'm a little partial to Italian frames, though, as you need some style in addition to performance.
I agree about the crossovers, they suck...wheels especially. Actually, I am glad MTB craze died down too. The trails are in better condition.

Despite a decent product during the past year, Lemonds lanquished unsold at a variety of dealers (Trek and otherwise). I spoke to a few shop owners, and they said that they were excited by the product but shocked that it just wouldn't sell AT ALL.

Whatever you think of his comments re: LA, Lemond was an idiot commercially.

kennf said:
Yeah, that slide show ****** me off. Nice use of "anonymous" e-mails in a published presentation.
We should all email Trek and tell them we won't buy Trek because they've dropped Lemond. That way Lemond can get them in discovery and shove them back in their face at trial.

thoughtforfood said:
Agree completely.

There are some amazing companies building bikes in the US and Canada, spend the same money and buy one if you are in the market.

I got my Alibi in the late '90's when I called Ibis one day to see if they had an employee purchase program for bike shop employees who worked for a shop that didn't carry their line in-house.(we had ordered) I talked to one of the guys, and he told me about this one-off Alibi they had that was painted "young asparagus" and that they would sell it to me for the employee discount. Well, it took me about 1 second to decide. He had me at "young asparagus." That bike looks better with dirt on it than any bike I have ever ridden.

I also have a Brew hardtail that rides amazingly well after all these years.

Give me custom or give me Lazyboy!
I love my Cannondales. Just a little concerned about the new owner.

**** Trek. They are just lieing ******** PR spin. Don't believe a word Trek says. When Connie Ryland, their spokesperson lies through her teeth, you can't believe anything the company says. Zero.

Connie, you know you are full of ******** over Rebelin's "prototype" Klien. You admitted to me that you were lieing. Come on Connie. Admit it.

huboon said:
The last frame is priceless. All the Trek employees are so happy that Evil Greg is gone. It truly is a great day!
Finally looked at the slide show. My favorite are all the quotes. I'm sure that is a representative sample and they never received any comments in favor of LeMond or negative comments about LA.:rolleyes: My favorite is "Why would you ride a LeMond bike?" Lemond Customer email. That's a bright fellow. You think he would've remembered himself.

I think I will email their customer service and cc: Lemond.

Serafino said:
Despite a decent product during the past year, Lemonds lanquished unsold at a variety of dealers (Trek and otherwise). I spoke to a few shop owners, and they said that they were excited by the product but shocked that it just wouldn't sell AT ALL.

Whatever you think of his comments re: LA, Lemond was an idiot commercially.

Really? All the shops I've spoken to weren't stocking the Lemonds. Not because of lack of interest, they just had to keep space for the 2,000 Treks lining the floor. That can happen when you forbid the company rep (Lemond) from showing up at the trade shows. Interesting way to promote a brand.

thoughtforfood said:
Agree completely.

There are some amazing companies building bikes in the US and Canada, spend the same money and buy one if you are in the market.
Like good beer, the quality stuff often comes from the Northwest. Hampsten has a nice line up, as does Vanilla. They're out of Seattle and Portland, respectively.

helmutRoole2 said:
Like good beer, the quality stuff often comes from the Northwest. Hampsten has a nice line up, as does Vanilla. They're out of Seattle and Portland, respectively.
Hampsten uses other top builders for its bikes. The carbon ones are made by Parlee. The titanium ones are made by Moots. Steel is made by Indy Fab. I heard that some of the new Hampsten ti models are built by Kent Ericksen, founder and former owner of Moots. That would be sweet if it's true.

Fark you Americans are funny. You do realize that this is just a small drop in the world of cycling ? In Europe LeMond and more so Trek have little to no standing.You yanks do love drama.

whiteboytrash said:
Fark you Americans are funny. You do realize that this is just a small drop in the world of cycling ? In Europe LeMond and more so Trek have little to no standing.You yanks do love drama.
Fark you Brits are funny, we don't buy any of the **** you make.

thoughtforfood said:
Fark you Brits are funny, we don't buy any of the **** you make.
They don't make anything anyway. Except for chip butties.

classic1 said:
They don't make anything anyway. Except for chip butties.
I thought they were famous for cars with a build quality that made american cars' build quality look good by comparison. Lucas, Prince of Darkness. The electrical switches have three settings: Dim, flicker, and off. Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Edison invented the light bulb. Lucas invented the short circuit.

Bad memories kept me from buying a Lotus Elise.

helmutRoole2 said:
Absolutly. I would just about shoot someone for a DeKerf hardtail.