Trek folding bikes: Experiences?

Anyone out there own a Trek folder - the F-100, F-400 or F-600? How do
you like it?

My test rides tell me it's reasonably well done, although I'd prefer
more cockpit room. I've found only one review online, and it sounds
good. I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

I'm a little concerned about the gear range on the F-100, for longer
rides. OTOH, the wider range gears on the F-400 & F-600 use SRAM
hardware, and I wonder about long term availability.

But overall, my first impression is good. I'd like to know what others
have found.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon:

http://www.dahon.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t1166.html

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:07:35 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.

>All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon:

And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested as well.
The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been low-end ones.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
- Earl Blumenauer

Guy wrote:

>> All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon

> And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested
> as well. The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been
> low-end ones.

And there's the problem.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:40:32 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> All the Trek folders are designed and built by Dahon

>> And? I probably prefer the Trek to the Dahon's I've tested
>> as well. The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been
>> low-end ones.

>And there's the problem.

Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton :-D

Guy
--

[email protected] wrote:
> Anyone out there own a Trek folder - the F-100, F-400 or F-600? How do
> you like it?
>
> My test rides tell me it's reasonably well done, although I'd prefer
> more cockpit room. I've found only one review online, and it sounds
> good. I prefer the Trek to the Dahons I've tested.
>
> I'm a little concerned about the gear range on the F-100, for longer
> rides. OTOH, the wider range gears on the F-400 & F-600 use SRAM
> hardware, and I wonder about long term availability.
>
> But overall, my first impression is good. I'd like to know what others
> have found.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Lots of fun. We test rode a light blue one with eight speeds, and for
short distances it's great. I'd change to my favorite saddle (as I
would with any bike purchase) and enjoy.

Like you, I found the reach seemed a little shorter than my road
position. So I wouldn't consider it for longer road rides, but I think
it's aimed more at runabout uses anyway. Down to the sandwich shop for
lunch? No problem!

I think it's made by DaHon, but the Trek design may be different.

Guy wrote:

>>> The only Dahon brand bikes I've ridden have been low-end ones.

>> And there's the problem.

> Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 02:07:49 -0700, LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0
m <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> And there's the problem.

>> Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

>So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

I wasn't aware I needed a special reason to be interested in folding
bikes or any particular discussion of them on Usenet.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton :-D

I have some Bromptons, but I find myself riding the Dahon Speed TR more
and more, as it has a much wider gearing range, and is a more
comfortable ride. I used to Bromp around San Francisco, but on a 3
speed Brompton this meant that the steepest hills were not rideable, so
I had to plan the route to go around them, or walk. And while the newer
Bromptons are fine in terms of braking, the older ones were notoriously
bad, and it was terrifying to go down steep, bumpy roads on them.

The Brompton is unbeatable for taking on the bus or train, but the
high-end Dahon's are much better for long rides, or rides with hills.
To equip a Brompton with a very wide gear range would cost a lot, as
you need to install the Florian Schlumpf Mountain Drive
("http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm").

For a disassembleable bicycle, rather than a folder, the Gaerlan gt20
beats anything from Dahon, or Bike Friday,
("http://gaerlan.com/bikes/gotravel/gotravel.htm").

For a bus/train bike that is less expensive than the Brompton, but
still has a "Bromptonesque" ride, the KHS cappuccino is a good choice,
but it lacks the elegance of the Brompton in terms of folding and
accessories, and is much larger when folded (30" x 23" x 15"; versus
22x21x10 for the Brompton).

LioNiNoiL wrote:

> And there's the problem.

This is true, there is a world of difference between the low-end and
high-end Dahon's. I expect that the Trek/Dahon's are strictly high end.

I've ridden older, lower-end Dahon's, and they are indeed not great.

I submit that on or about 16 Jul 2005 08:07:31 -0700, the person known
to the court as [email protected] made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>I have some Bromptons, but I find myself riding the Dahon Speed TR more
>and more, as it has a much wider gearing range, and is a more
>comfortable ride. I used to Bromp around San Francisco, but on a 3
>speed Brompton this meant that the steepest hills were not rideable, so
>I had to plan the route to go around them, or walk. And while the newer
>Bromptons are fine in terms of braking, the older ones were notoriously
>bad, and it was terrifying to go down steep, bumpy roads on them.

I have the L6, have not yet found a hill I can't climb on it, and
since compactness of fold is an important criterion (I take it on the
train every day) the Brompton is the perfect bike for me. Other
people will have other criteria. The brakes, incidentally, are as
good as any rim brakes I've used, dual-pivot calipers. The right
compound of brake blocks helps, of course.

>The Brompton is unbeatable for taking on the bus or train, but the
>high-end Dahon's are much better for long rides, or rides with hills.

As is the Giant Halfway, by all accounts. Or the Airnimal or a Bike
Friday or... well, we can all write shopping lists :)

"Best" is not transitive in context. It will always depend on the
individual, the ride, the frequency of and reason for folding and so
on.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

>For a disassembleable bicycle, rather than a folder, the Gaerlan gt20
>beats anything from Dahon, or Bike Friday,
>("http://gaerlan.com/bikes/gotravel/gotravel.htm").

Really? Better than Bike Friday??

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Brompton is unbeatable for taking on the bus or train, but the
> high-end Dahon's are much better for long rides, or rides with hills.

I wish there were a Brommy dealer locally (I'm in Canada's Capital).

I did ride the Halfway, a rebranded Dahon (similar to a Helios P8) and a
number of others.
People swear by their Bromptons - it would have been nice to try one.

> To equip a Brompton with a very wide gear range would cost a lot, as
> you need to install the Florian Schlumpf Mountain Drive
> ("http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm").

I think it's used here as a proper name but did you know "Schlumpf" is
German for "Smurf?" :D

> For a bus/train bike that is less expensive than the Brompton, but
> still has a "Bromptonesque" ride, the KHS cappuccino is a good choice,
> but it lacks the elegance of the Brompton in terms of folding and

Interesting you should mention the KHS. I looked at them but discarded the
idea because they weren't available locally.

Through a happy set of coincidences, I ended up with a 2003 KHS Westwood
with full suspension like the Brompton.
(gratuitous bike p0rn http://www.ncf.ca/~af895/bike/KHS.html sorry, I can't
help show off "baby pictures" :)

http://www.nordicgroup.us/bikerec/ (click "Folding & Travel")
I found that link later and it suggested the KHS ride is "Brompton-esque."

I'm finding geography a big factor with bicycle availability. There were
only about 10 folding bike models I could actually sit on and try. Perhaps
others would but I didn't feel comfortable buying a bike I couldn't first
try.

I don't know where the original-poster for this thread is situated but there
are so many models to choose from, it would be a good idea to start with
what's available in their area. I'm starting to see a lot of Norco "Origami"
models locally (Canadian brand) and I'm told they compare favourably to the
Giant Halfway. "Bazooka" is another Canadian company making folding bikes
(they import I believe)...

Britain will have a bunch of models rare in North America (Airnimal's
gorgeous bikes, Bike Friday, Moulton, Brompton)
I think Dahon rebrands bikes for every country in the world... a fellow
posted a picture of one from Sweden (i think?) labelled "Yosemite" which is
look suspiciously like a Dahon...

I guess my advice would be not to limit the search to one line of folders.
The market is large and getting larger. If you don't like the feel of the
Trek, try something else.

>I guess my advice would be not to limit the search to one line of folders.
>The market is large and getting larger. If you don't like the feel of the
>Trek, try something else.

I used to own a Bike Friday folder but sold it many
years ago.

reason being is it was more of a "transportable" bike
than a folder

By that I mean I wanted something that I could fold in
seconds and take on a bus or put in car....and the
unfold at other end

Bike Friday wasn't as "clean" of folder as that.

Would you agree?

Reason I ask is I'm in market for a folder again. Main
uses would be commuting and some light touring. Not
sure what to get.... or if my assesment of BF is
correct?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bike Friday wasn't as "clean" of folder as that.
>
> Would you agree?

Not really familiar with the Bike Fridays other than people seem to love
them.

> Reason I ask is I'm in market for a folder again. Main
> uses would be commuting and some light touring. Not
> sure what to get.... or if my assesment of BF is
> correct?

Some links:
http://nordicgroup.us/fold/
http://tinyurl.com/7e52x
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221
http://snipurl.com/garz
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/folding_bikes.shtml
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/folding-bikes/

FWIW, based on all the reading I'm doing, the KHS seems to have a comparable
ride to the Brompton at half the price.
They don't fold quite as small or elegantly but they get the job done.

Airnimal and Birdy make gorgeous bikes but you pay for them - think $1500 to
$3500US. I suppose if folded size is a concern, they're good choices but I
see the high end Dahons as better value bikes than these UK built brands.

Although the Giant Halfway is geared too low out of the box, it's priced
reasonably at under $650US and offers a very civil ride.

If I hadn't found the "new-old-stock" 2003 KHS for less, I would've bought
the Giant.

I'm getting in shape so I can tour and I would not hesitate to recommend
something like the KHS or Giant for touring. As Richard Ballantine writes in
the "Ultimate Bicycle Book" - people have toured across continents with
folding bikes.

C.j

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:

> >> And there's the problem.

> > Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

> So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

Guy suffers from Brompton mania :) You did mention your Brompton did
you not?

John Kane
Kingston ON

Guy wrote:

>>> Not for me it's not. I have a Brompton

>> So what's your interest in the Trek-Dahon discussion??

> I wasn't aware I needed a special reason to be interested
> in folding bikes or any particular discussion of them on Usenet.

I didn't ask about "a special reason", I asked about your interest in
the Trek-Dahon discussion. If you want to make irrelevant posts for no
"special reason", that's fine.

Scharf.Steven wrote:

> I've ridden older, lower-end Dahon's, and they are indeed not great.

The first Dahon I rode [over twenty years ago at the Two Wheel Transit
Authority in Huntington Beach] was a clever design with terrible
construction and materials. The intervening years have seen dramatic
improvements in their bikes.

C.J.Patten wrote:

> FWIW, based on all the reading I'm doing, the KHS seems to have a comparable
> ride to the Brompton at half the price.
> They don't fold quite as small or elegantly but they get the job done.

The one other thing about the KHS Cappuccino that bothers me is the 18"
wheels, since 18" tubes and tires are very hard to find. The only place
I've seen them is the exact place that many of us go for esoteric items
"http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/355.html" and I don't know if
these also fit the KHS Cappuccino.