Trek Fuel 100 vs. S-Works Epic

David

Guest
Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and cons of each?

"TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and cons

of
> each?
>
> Epic...hardtail until you need a FS

Trek Fuel: more fluid, as you'd expect FS to be.

For the Epic, does that mean that when you're climbing up something gnarly
the back wheel doesn't stick in?

"Nick Drew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and

cons
> of
> > each?
> >
> > Epic...hardtail until you need a FS
> >

> Trek Fuel: more fluid, as you'd expect FS to be.
>
> For the Epic, does that mean that when you're climbing up something gnarly
> the back wheel doesn't stick in?

Maybe you should have had the answer to that before you posted!

David wrote:
> Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and
> cons of each?

Neither would be good for riding around because someone will want to borrow
it without asking (or returning).

I'd go for the S-Works Epic, oh wait - I did! I like it. I've just ridden
the Fuel around the LBS block and it seemed OK, but the Epic would probably
make a better XC race bike because of the brain.

Matt

On 2004-07-13, MattB penned:
> David wrote:
>> Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and
>> cons of each?

> Neither would be good for riding around because someone will want to
> borrow it without asking (or returning).

Troof. Don't leave any bike you care about unwatched.

Also don't leave them on the ground at the trailhead if there's another
car anywhere within a one mile radius, no matter how close they might be
to your car. DAMHIK.

> I'd go for the S-Works Epic, oh wait - I did! I like it. I've just
> ridden the Fuel around the LBS block and it seemed OK, but the Epic
> would probably make a better XC race bike because of the brain.

Am I the only one who gets a mental image of zombies chanting "brains
.... brains ..." whenever someone mentions the Specialized "brain"?

--
monique

"Monique sez:

>Am I the only one who gets a mental image of zombies chanting "brains
>... brains ..." whenever someone mentions the Specialized "brain"?

Not any more... Where's my medication?

T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Z to S to email

MattB wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and
>> cons of each?

> Neither would be good for riding around because someone will want to
> borrow it without asking (or returning).
>
> I'd go for the S-Works Epic, oh wait - I did! I like it. I've just
> ridden the Fuel around the LBS block and it seemed OK, but the Epic
> would probably make a better XC race bike because of the brain.
>
> Matt

I didn't like that brain, because it always took one hard hit before it
unlocked the suspension and you never really knew when it was going to lock
it again. Like you're going down this steep hill at a fast pace and see a
rock down below. You never really know if the suspension is going to take
care of it or if you have to get out of the saddle. I much prefer a manual
lockout that is connected to my own brain.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter <[email protected]> wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> Which is the better bike for XC racing and riding around? Pros and
>>> cons of each?

>> Neither would be good for riding around because someone will want to
>> borrow it without asking (or returning).
>>
>> I'd go for the S-Works Epic, oh wait - I did! I like it. I've just
>> ridden the Fuel around the LBS block and it seemed OK, but the Epic
>> would probably make a better XC race bike because of the brain.
>>
>> Matt

> I didn't like that brain, because it always took one hard hit before
> it unlocked the suspension and you never really knew when it was
> going to lock it again. Like you're going down this steep hill at a
> fast pace and see a rock down below. You never really know if the
> suspension is going to take care of it or if you have to get out of
> the saddle. I much prefer a manual lockout that is connected to my
> own brain.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

The newer Epics will have an adjustment.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Zilla wrote:
> Per Elmsäter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> MattB wrote:
>>>
>>> Neither would be good for riding around because someone will want to
>>> borrow it without asking (or returning).
>>>
>>> I'd go for the S-Works Epic, oh wait - I did! I like it. I've just
>>> ridden the Fuel around the LBS block and it seemed OK, but the Epic
>>> would probably make a better XC race bike because of the brain.
>>>
>>> Matt

>> I didn't like that brain, because it always took one hard hit before
>> it unlocked the suspension and you never really knew when it was
>> going to lock it again. Like you're going down this steep hill at a
>> fast pace and see a rock down below. You never really know if the
>> suspension is going to take care of it or if you have to get out of
>> the saddle. I much prefer a manual lockout that is connected to my
>> own brain.
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

> The newer Epics will have an adjustment.

Good news, because I really liked the rest of the bike.
--
Perre

Is this an effort to "de-brain"?

Hey, boss, de brain, de brain ....! Sorry. Slow day...

news:[email protected]...