Trek fx 3

Toadmanor

Aug 20, 2017
Yesterday I bought a Trek FX 3. Seems like a nice bike. I should get it in two more days.'

Yipeee!

Congrats on your new bike, it looks like a nice ride. Now don't get trapped spending useless time on forums like this and instead GO RIDE!

Word of caution, I don't know if your a fairly new rider or not but anyways read this site, it's even good for people to read who are not new riders: http://bicyclesafe.com/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8zkpZVmyww

The section on the Right Hook is extremely important, stay behind the car not beside it, in other words take the lane like you would if you are driving your car. Also be careful on streets where there may be two lanes that can turn right, usually those the left lane can go either straight or right, you need to be in that left most lane taking the lane. Also if on a one way street you need to watch for those turning left just as you would for those turning right.

Sometimes taking the lane is the only thing to do even on a street where no intersections are coming due to the width of the street being too narrow for both a car and bike, you don't want to be squeezed between a car and a curb because one or the other will win and you'll lose, don't worry about the moron behind you honking their horn you have the same rights and rules that cars do.

Also when approaching any kind of intersection or driveway into a home or shopping area listen for the car coming up behind you, if you hear them gunning their engine there is a very high chance they won't to pass you and then turn right in front of you which will cause you to collide into the side of the car if you don't slow down and prepare for emergency braking action, and once that happens and the car driver knows it they will leave the scene of the accident. That sort of thing is a good reason to NEVER wear earbuds etc while riding, you need your sense of hearing to be completely unhindered
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glgNPKFg47s

The section entitled The Door Prize, when riding along a group of parked cars, there will be spaces where there are no parked cars, DO NOT weave into those spaces, instead keep a straight path, this is so you don't confuse the driver behind you, they will know where you're at all times and the path you're taking.

Don't ride on sidewalks unless it's a designated bike path,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mFhO4scPQ
, sidewalk riding is more dangerous then remaining on the street. NEVER ride against traffic unless you're sucidal.

If you have to pull along side a car, look at the driver and signal with hand motion like a wave to get their attention so that they know you are there.

Always try to use hand signals to indicate you're turning, in the old days it was the left hand extended outward indicated left turn, that meaning is unchanged; and turning right was the left hand extend and the elbow bent so the arm is doing a 90 degree upward angle for the forearm...most drivers don't understand that one anymore, so instead use the right arm extended. The slowing down signal is no longer necessary since people don't understand it at all.

And bike lanes are really just lanes that are on traffic streets, and people use those lanes for turning, parking etc, sometimes it's safer to avoid the bike lane!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjWGLzatv0

When riding (or driving) you need to make sure you don't ride looking at the ground 2 to 6 feet in front of your front wheel, a lot of people do this thinking they're going to prevent flats...not true! You need to be looking at least a block ahead in the city and a quarter of mile ahead out on rural areas. You need to keep your eyes scanning looking at approaching intersections for traffic and pedestrians; be looking for red light and stop sign runners, if you're approaching an intersection with yield signs for opposing traffic always slow down and treat that like you have the yield sign because a lot of people just run those yields. I disagree with the behavior of a lot of cyclists, the law states that a bicycle is to follow the same rules as a car unless otherwise stated, the only time you should ever run (actually it's a stop and go behavior) a red light is if the law in your state permits bikes to do so, otherwise stop and wait, if there is no traffic coming sometimes I will go if I've stopped first because the traffic light device may not have picked up the presence of my bike and I could be setting there into a car comes and activates it which could be a long time, other wise I stop and wait for the light to change...taking the lane. I always stop at stop signs unless I can see far down on either side of the road then I slow down and go, if there is a car waiting at the stop when I get there I stop and let them go just like I would in a car. Out on country roads I will run stops if I can see far down the road on either side. When doing these running stops make sure you look 3 times both ways before doing something, that may sound crazy but people have actually missed seeing cars the first or even the second time looking, the mind can do weird stuff sometimes, so take the extra precautions. Remember, you're on a bike, if a car collides with you you have no sheet metal around you, no seat belt, no air bags, you will lose every single time.

And since the creation of cell phones distracted driving is at an all time high. You need to buy at least a rear tail light to be used during the day to attract the attention of a dulled senses driver, and this light needs to be very bright and flashing. The best tail light for the money is the See Sense ICON, this thing puts out an amazing 190 lumens of power and it's relatively cheap for that kind of power at just $85, or for about $15 more you can get the + model with 250 lumens, not sure if that much power is needed. If you have the money See Sense makes a package deal which includes a dazzling bright front flasher (it's not a headlight) and a rear light; see: https://seesense.cc/collections/shop

Anyway, you probably know this stuff so sorry if I bored you, but a good review can make you a safer rider and keep you alive.

Oh, obviously wear a helmet!!