Trek FX 7.9 or Madone 5.2 ??

Kg4fxg

Sep 20, 2010
I have a new Trek FX 7.9 and I was thinking of selling it and getting a Madone 5.2

Why?

I love to workout and the Trek has been off the trainer only once. I mostly ride on my Kurt Kinetic trainer with Spinervals DVD's.

But most on these DVD's are working out with Road Bikes.

I am 148 pounds and I have never wore any bike clothes but really would love to try them, start group rides, and have a real Road Bike. I do use clipless pedals.

Has anyone made the transition from FX (Hybrid) to Road Bike?

I am also 50 years old. Any reason I would not like the Madone 5.2? What is the feel of a Road Bike like? Any more difficult to ride? My weight is dropping about 3 pounds per week. I should be in the low 140's soon. 5'11" tall.

My passion or dream is to suit up and ride a Road Bike. OK, it would mean getting off the trainer.

I should also mention I have hit the training real hard.

April 2012 my weight was 230 pounds.
January 2013 my weight is 148 pounds and dropping.

I am certainly open to other brands it is just I have a couple of Trek Bike Shops nearby. I just want to get into Road Bikes and was embarrassed to even look at one at 230 pounds. What did I know?

I don't see a road bike as a problem anymore. Flat stomach and all. My goal was first to get the body, then go for it.

Please don't be offend. I am fine with any price point say 5K or less. I would rather buy quality and ride.

You have dropped 80 pounds riding a whole season on the trainer? Thats great but also a bit sad - you are really missing out by not riding outside. The real payoff for having a bike and training are the rides.

I for one do not care how big a fellow rider is.

If you are only going to do indoor work, there is not real reason to switch bike. For the outdoors, I suspect that you would enjoy a road bike more. At this point you deserve a nice ride.

If it were me - I would keep the FX and pick up another bike if I have the funds and space. There are many times you may want to ride but not take your best bike out.

you will face a learning curve but after you get used to a road bike you won't be looking back, on the road you can do 3+ hours rides for example, get involved in club rides, do some climbing, do some sprinting, etc the Madone 5.2 is a full carbon road bike with many modern improvements by TREK, i bet it is a beast on the road ! i wouldn't give up the indoor trainer option as a complement, you have sure done a great work dropping all that weight,

Thanks all,

I just assumed that those that road on Road Bikes were fairly light weight. While I have never had any bike specific clothes I work out in just my Adidas clothes. I do have gloves. Biggest disadvantage of the FX is hand positions and numb fingers. Hence my desire for drop bars.

I was in my local bike shop the other day and the owner mentioned the group rides they have there. Maybe I will give that a try? Cold here in Georgia as the past few mornings were 28 degrees. But unusual and the normal is more like 40 degrees.

Oh yeah, the owner is older than me and loves his Road Bike. I think if I get more involved in this I will learn as I am sure other will share after the rides or answer questions. At 50 and 148 pounds I am no speed demon. Just enjoy being in the saddle.

I was just thinking how stupid it really is that most of my riding is indoors using a Garmin 705 and turning off the GPS each ride. But it does provide good post workout analysis. And yes I do read and re-read Carmichael and Friel and understand some about training. Because I want to improve. I live the Paleo diet.

I work as a CPA and often put in 11 hour days. That does not leave much time but I am up daily at 5AM for the bike. There is just something magical about the bike. Oh, I do have a receiver hitch on the car and a Thule rack for two bike as it holds the wheels and locks. Well, I guess I need to take it out of the box. Just been to afraid of getting rear ended.

I have rode the bike trails (paved) with my seven year old daughter on my other bike. It is a Brompton but it is not really the same. Cute but does not come close to a Road Bike or the FX I own.

My heart and goal is to train enough so I won't be embarrassed if I get dropped and train like hell. I have something like 59 Spinervals DVD's I use on the trainer. Using Apple TV I can watch them now on the flatscreen via Wifi that links to my iMac.

I like your thoughts about keeping the FX. That way I could keep a clean bike on the trainer and if weather is bad not take the best bike outside.

Besides bike training I skip rope. Speed rope and use resistance bands. Trying to get upper body strength as well with adjustable dumbbells.

Thanks all for the kind words and reply.

I think you should drop the FX and get the road bike and enjoy what there is outside,join a club and just start to build up your strength and loose some more weight !! Good job