Trek Incite 9i, but with cadence....?

Hell And High Water

Guest
I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

Love the clean look of the wireless.

What are my options?

THANKS!

-Bob

>I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
>
> Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
>
> Love the clean look of the wireless.
>

> What are my options?
>

> THANKS!
>
> -Bob

Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.

A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.

But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
multiply by 4.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

>I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
>Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
>Love the clean look of the wireless.
>What are my options?

Learn to live without love?

--
mac the naïf

> >I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
> >Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
> >Love the clean look of the wireless.
> >What are my options?

> Learn to live without love?

so now you're narrating my life...

;-)

-Bob

Hell And High Water wrote:
> I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
>
> Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
>
> Love the clean look of the wireless.
>

> What are my options?
>

> THANKS!
>
> -Bob

Sigma BC1606 is your option. $72 from Nashbar. $80 at REI.

It's really nice to have cadence on the computer, but wireless cadence
is pretty rare.

On May 29, 4:26 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> >I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.

> > Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.

> > Love the clean look of the wireless.

> > What are my options?

> > THANKS!

> > -Bob

> Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
> nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
> as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
> the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
> nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
> get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
> which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.
>
> A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
> wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
> really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
> sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
> It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
> will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.
>
> But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
> one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
> multiply by 4.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Some swear by a cadence option, others swear at it. Personally, I like
knowing my cadence but the counting and multiplying thing never really
worked for me. I found myself mixing up the revolution count with the
time count and always seemed to be spinning at 60 rpm. ;-)
Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration but if my options are to: A- Look
at a watch to keep track of the time elapsed, then count revolutions,
and then multiply or B- use a cyclocomputer with cadence, I'll pick
B.
I agree with you on the wireless aspect though. To me, the expense and
hassle isn't worth it just to eliminate a couple barely noticeable
wires especially when I can remember brake cables that seemed to soar
in large (but graceful) arcs from the levers. It all depends on one's
frame of reference I guess.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

In article <ObF%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> >I have the 9i wireless, which I love, but would like to add cadence.
> >
> > Love the quality and simplicity of the Trek.
> >
> > Love the clean look of the wireless.
> >

> > What are my options?
> >

> > THANKS!
> >
> > -Bob

> Bob: Wireless cadence is a tough act. Some of the units out there are
> nightmarish... for example, I will never, ever sell another Polar CS200 for
> as long as I live. And the units that use bluetooth-style technology, like
> the Trek digital incite, have problems staying "paired" at times, and
> nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has a one-button pairing function to
> get things working again. The most-reliable I've seen have been the Garmins,
> which, of course, include a GPS unit so they're rather expensive.
>
> A less-expensive option is the Trek Incite model that has wired cadence,
> wireless speed, as well as heart monitor and altimeter (an altimeter that
> really works). Trek had a promotion on those a while ago where a shop could
> sell them for as low as $80; regular price runs $119.99. Very reliable unit.
> It's called the ACH Wireless (*not* the Digital ACH). Only issue is that you
> will have a wire running from the computer to the crank.
>
> But... do you really need cadence? I find myself interested in cadence maybe
> one week out of the year, so I just count the revolutions in 15 seconds and
> multiply by 4.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the thoughts!

-Bob