Trek Madone 2.1 H2 (Triple) vs Cannondale synapse 5 2013

AustinM64

Feb 18, 2013
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a new bike to complete JoGLE (John O'Groats to Lands End) bike ride. I'm training on a Boardman Team Hybrid at the mo but will look to ride a road bike for the actual trip. I have narrowed it down to the two bikes above but am still a little unsure.

Both bikes are well equipped. The Trek, being a triple, is better geared for any of the hilliest terrain but would appear to be stiffer in the frame. If I were to go for the Cannondale I would have to change the rear cassette to a 12-32 (May need to change the derailleur too).

What are people's thoughts. I'll be covering 90 to 120 miles a day for 9 days! Should I go for the slightly more flexible frame in the Cannondale and change the gearing or should I go for the stiffer Trek Madone?

Ant advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Austin

Test ride both if possible, but remember that 95% of this bike's life will be spent under you after Land's End. Go with the model that fits (or can be made to fit) you best with the ride that will keep you happy after the big tour.

JMO, but I prefer stiff and light to put miles behind me. YMMV, of course.

Good luck with your epic ride!

I'm a BIG FAN of Hybrid frames ... and, your BOARDMAN has a really nice frame & fork ...

So, why not simply replace the handlebars + shifters and/or disc brake calipers (if-or-as necessary) and use your Boardman Team Hybrid for the planned JoGLE ride?

• I haven't paid enough attention to the TYPE of disc brake calipers which are currently being used on CX bikes, but they are presumably mechanical & suitable for Road brake levers ...

FYI. 10-/11-speed Campagnolo shifters are compatible with many Shimano drivetrains ...
LL

BTW. Campagnolo shifters are compatible with almost every cable actuated front derailleur of any vintage.

Fwiw I have the 2012 Trek 2.1 (Apex version) which is the same frame just renamed to Madone 2.1 and I love it. I prefer the stiffer frame and it tackles hiils like a beast. Last year was my rookie season as a road cyclist and once I got comfortable on the bike I was passing people all the time on the hills.

May I ask if you switched out the saddle on yours? I found the saddle was the one thing I absolutely hated (damn that saddle hurt lol) and I switched it out for a Specialized Avatar. I havent seen the 2013 so I do not know what kind of seat they put on it this year. Last year I went old school with the flat pedals, but this Spring I am adding CB Candy 3's.

Cant wait for Spring!!!!!!

The Madone 2 is a very nice frame that by no means rides like a coal cart. It also appears to be better equipped right out of the box for your current needs. And if you decide you need a cushier ride, you can always go for fatter (25mm) tires.

Good luck on your big ride.