Trek Madone 5.2 versus Fuji Team Pro

Josh

Guest
I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
around $2000.

What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Josh wrote:
> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000.
>
> What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.
>
> Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Ride both and get the one you like more. (They're pretty different bikes,
and component levels will also make a difference. Also wheels.)

Josh wrote:
> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000.
>
> What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.
>
> Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Jax Bicycles in Southern California is advertising the 2007 Trek Madone
5.2 on sale for $1999.99. I bought a 2006 Trek 5200 for that price last
year.

The new 2008 Madones are all sloping top tube, a look I don't like. If
I could justify another new bike, I'd get a 2007.

I can't say whether the Fuji or Trek is more satisfactory for you; only
you can decide that.

Josh Borzick wrote:
> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000....

When you get your new bike, please give the stolen Trek 330 frame back
to its rightful owner.

(I am surprised Sorni missed this one.)

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Josh Borzick wrote:
>> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to
>> upgrade. I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a
>> 2007) Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike
>> for right around $2000....

> When you get your new bike, please give the stolen Trek 330 frame back
> to its rightful owner.
>
> (I am surprised Sorni missed this one.)

Meh.

On Jul 31, 1:10 pm, Josh <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000.
>
> What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.
>
> Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Ride them both and then decide based on which you liked better.
I rode a Fuji and I did not like the ride. I haven't ridden the
Madone,
so I can't comment on it.
--------------------
Alex

On Aug 1, 12:13 pm, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 1:10 pm, Josh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> > I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> > Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> > around $2000.

> > What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> > better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> > but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.

> > Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

> Ride them both and then decide based on which you liked better.
> I rode a Fuji and I did not like the ride. I haven't ridden the
> Madone,
> so I can't comment on it.
> --------------------
> Alex

Curious - what did you not like about the Fuji?

D'ohBoy

> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000.
>
> What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.
>
> Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

If you can find a dealer who still has any of the $1999 2007 5.2SLs left,
it's a pretty killer deal. We bought over 100 of them and have gone through
nearly all. Very nice machine, but then you have to take anything I say with
a grain of salt since we sell them for a living.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

On Aug 1, 4:20 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 12:13 pm, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 31, 1:10 pm, Josh <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> > > I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> > > Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> > > around $2000.

> > > What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> > > better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> > > but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.

> > > Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

> > Ride them both and then decide based on which you liked better.
> > I rode a Fuji and I did not like the ride. I haven't ridden the
> > Madone,
> > so I can't comment on it.
> > --------------------
> > Alex

> Curious - what did you not like about the Fuji?

the bike felt very twitchy. As a reference, I regularly ride a
Litesped Ultimate and a Giant TCR.
The same day I rode the Fuji I also rode a Specialize Tarmac,
Cannondale System Six and
a Look, but I forget the model. All felt better than the Fuji.
----------------------
Alex

On Aug 2, 10:28 am, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 4:20 pm, D'ohBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Ride them both and then decide based on which you liked better.
> > > I rode a Fuji and I did not like the ride. I haven't ridden the
> > > Madone,
> > > so I can't comment on it.
> > > --------------------
> > > Alex

> > Curious - what did you not like about the Fuji?

> the bike felt very twitchy. As a reference, I regularly ride a
> Litesped Ultimate and a Giant TCR.
> The same day I rode the Fuji I also rode a Specialize Tarmac,
> Cannondale System Six and
> a Look, but I forget the model. All felt better than the Fuji.
> ----------------------
> Alex

Huh. Okey.

D'ohBoy

"Josh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been riding an old Trek 330 steal frame bike and want to upgrade.
> I've narrowed it down to a 2006 (I might be able to swing a 2007)
> Madone 5.2 and a 2007 Fuji Team Pro. I can get either bike for right
> around $2000.
>
> What are the pros and cons of both bikes? Is one phenomenally
> better? The Fuji is at my local bike shop that I'd like to support,
> but I've heard that Madones are the bike to get.
>
> Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

The Trek is probably going to hold it's value a little better just because
of the name. Component wise, the biggest different are the Ultegra vs. FSA
cranks and the wheelsets. The Fuji has a little shorter wheelbase and top
tube in comperable sizes with steeper head and seat tube angle, but they are
pretty close in overall geometry. Both framesets are about 3 generations old
for each company. I'm sure either would be a fine bike. I would not have
considered Fuji a few years ago, but I just got an SL-1c over a Scott Addict
after riding both bikes so it is certainly an individual choice.

Mike,
I ran across a 2006 Madone 5.2 in my size new for $2200. Thinking of
getting it as my primary bike to complement/replace my Bianchi Giro.
Age is making me a bit sore on my Al framed Bianchi.

Any issues with the 2006 model that would sway me to look at a newer
one? I'm not into looks but not having 'DiscoveryTeam' all over the
2006 5.2 Madone it is a plus.

TIA
Dave

On Aug 1, 1:27 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> If you can find a dealer who still has any of the $1999 2007 5.2SLs left,
> it's a pretty killer deal. We bought over 100 of them and have gone through
> nearly all. Very nice machine, but then you have to take anything I say with
> a grain of salt since we sell them for a living.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> I ran across a 2006 Madone 5.2 in my size new for $2200. Thinking of
> getting it as my primary bike to complement/replace my Bianchi Giro.
> Age is making me a bit sore on my Al framed Bianchi.
>
> Any issues with the 2006 model that would sway me to look at a newer
> one? I'm not into looks but not having 'DiscoveryTeam' all over the
> 2006 5.2 Madone it is a plus.

No issues whatsoever. In fact, the '06 has the cool "tail fin" that's
lacking on the '07 version. Very nice machine.