Trek Madone 5.9 or 5.9 SL

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew Martin, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    foremost.

    Thanks,
    -a

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    > strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    > either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    > to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    > the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    > foremost.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -a

    What 178 years old !

    Graham

  3. Its all marketing. All Trek bikes ride the same -- shitty.

    They can't even get compact geometry right.

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    >> strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    >> either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    >> to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    >> the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    >> foremost.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -a

    > What 178 years old !
    >
    > Graham

    ---

  4. Gary

    Gary Guest

    and what does Jay ride?

    JayofMontreal wrote:
    > Its all marketing. All Trek bikes ride the same -- shitty.
    >
    > They can't even get compact geometry right.
    >
    > "Graham" <[email protected]mailDOT.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    >>>strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    >>>either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    >>>to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    >>>the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    >>>foremost.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>-a

    >>What 178 years old !
    >>
    >>Graham
    >>

    > ---

  5. Kurd

    Kurd Guest

    Bigger difference are the wheels.

  6. "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    > > strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    > > either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    > > to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    > > the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    > > foremost.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -a

    > What 178 years old !
    >
    > Graham

    6'3"
    178lbs
    28yo

  7. >> "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Apart from the strangly shaped tubes, are there any structural or
    >> > strength differences between these bikes? I'm 178 and have ridden
    >> > either a 5500 or 5900 for the past couple years. Do I have anything
    >> > to worry about with the 5.9 SL? I know it's trite, but I just prefer
    >> > the cleaner look of the SL, but I want a solid ride first and
    >> > foremost.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > -a

    >> What 178 years old !
    >>
    >> Graham

    > 6'3"
    > 178lbs
    > 28yo

    Ah, good thing you included your age. At 28, there is a definite chance
    that you might outlast the bike if you get a 5.9. Of course, that would be
    the case with any bike you buy, out of any material...

    OK, all kidding aside, there should be no reason an SL would be any less
    durable than the current 5200. Even the SSL, which uses 55gsm carbon, still
    has a lifetime warranty. The only thing you really have to consider is
    whether you want a standard (53/39 DuraAce) or compact (50/36 Bontrager)
    crankset.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  8. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > OK, all kidding aside, there should be no reason an SL would be any less
    > durable than the current 5200. Even the SSL, which uses 55gsm carbon,

    still
    > has a lifetime warranty. The only thing you really have to consider is
    > whether you want a standard (53/39 DuraAce) or compact (50/36 Bontrager)
    > crankset.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike,
    when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?
    I'm interested in purchasing one.
    -tom

  9. "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Its all marketing. All Trek bikes ride the same -- shitty.

    Have you even ridden one, or are you just anti-anything successful?

    > They can't even get compact geometry right.

    Ok, well I agree with you there, the Pilot with it's curved fork is hidious.

  10. >> OK, all kidding aside, there should be no reason an SL would be any less
    >> durable than the current 5200. Even the SSL, which uses 55gsm carbon,

    > still
    >> has a lifetime warranty. The only thing you really have to consider is
    >> whether you want a standard (53/39 DuraAce) or compact (50/36 Bontrager)
    >> crankset.
    >>
    >> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >>

    > Mike,
    > when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?
    > I'm interested in purchasing one.
    > -tom

    Tom: Good question. They're shipping them on new bikes this week, so it
    shouldn't be too much longer. (2-hours later... just got word from our rep
    that they won't be available for aftermarket until December).

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> OK, all kidding aside, there should be no reason an SL would be any less
    >> durable than the current 5200. Even the SSL, which uses 55gsm carbon,

    > still
    >> has a lifetime warranty. The only thing you really have to consider is
    >> whether you want a standard (53/39 DuraAce) or compact (50/36 Bontrager)
    >> crankset.
    >>
    >> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >>

    > Mike,
    > when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?
    > I'm interested in purchasing one.
    > -tom

  11. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote:

    > > when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?

    > Tom: Good question. They're shipping them on new bikes this week, so it
    > shouldn't be too much longer. (2-hours later... just got word from our rep
    > that they won't be available for aftermarket until December).

    Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    seeing more and more of those.

    BTW, Mike, you would have enjoyed the Everest Challenge last weekend.

  12. >> > when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?

    >> Tom: Good question. They're shipping them on new bikes this week, so it
    >> shouldn't be too much longer. (2-hours later... just got word from our
    >> rep
    >> that they won't be available for aftermarket until December).

    > Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    > seeing more and more of those.

    Nah, piece of junk. Oh, wait, that's what's on my own bike! It's been a
    very nice change for my bike, one of the best I've made over the years. It
    took me about two weeks to get used to where the gears were, but I wouldn't
    change back for the world. Not so sure that the ISIS system is perfect
    though; seems like it's a lot noisier (more creaking). Could be that the
    FSA isn't the greatest BB in the world, but haven't had a chance to
    experiment with others yet.

    > BTW, Mike, you would have enjoyed the Everest Challenge last weekend.

    Probably, but as I'd just spent 8 days in Hawaii with my wife (25th
    anniversary thing), I kinda had to see what my kids looked like again.

    Have you written up your ride anywhere? I'd love to hear all about it!

    Just between you & I, I'm dying for a good climbing challenge. Even started
    looking at how much it would cost to do a last-minute run to Italy to climb
    the Stelvio. A totally-stupid thing to do, but that hasn't stopped me much
    lately. Fortunately, it doesn't look so easy to get from an airport to the
    Stelvio, unless... darn. Guess one could always rent a car. On the other
    hand, there's a certain thrill in thinking about doing a really-late-season
    ride over Sonora Pass again. The fall colors up there are really nice, and
    the weather's actually much more predictable at this time of year (no sudden
    afternoon thunderstorms).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote:
    >
    >> > when is the compact Bontrager 50/36 going to be available?

    >> Tom: Good question. They're shipping them on new bikes this week, so it
    >> shouldn't be too much longer. (2-hours later... just got word from our
    >> rep
    >> that they won't be available for aftermarket until December).

    > Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    > seeing more and more of those.
    >
    > BTW, Mike, you would have enjoyed the Everest Challenge last weekend.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  13. Terry-<< Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    seeing more and more of those. >><BR><BR>

    Nothing at all except a visit to a standard TREK dealer and I doubt they will
    sell ya a 2005 anything w/o a crank and swap to a FSA...

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  14. Mike J-<< Not so sure that the ISIS system is perfect
    though; seems like it's a lot noisier (more creaking). Could be that the
    FSA isn't the greatest BB in the world, but haven't had a chance to >><BR><BR>

    Guess it's the day to talk to you Mike. We install many ISIS FSA cranks and
    none 'creak'. Doubt it is the ISIS design but perhaps installation???

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  15. Merckx MXM carbon... sweet ride!

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > and what does Jay ride?
    >
    > JayofMontreal wrote:
    >> Its all marketing. All Trek bikes ride the same -- shitty.
    >>
    >> They can't even get compact geometry right.
    >>
    >> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>What 178 years old !
    >>>
    >>>Graham
    >>>

    >> ---

    ---

  16. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > We install many ISIS FSA cranks and none 'creak'. Doubt it is
    > the ISIS design but perhaps installation???

    I installed FSA ISIS bottom bracket and FSA triple a few months ago.
    No creaking so far. I installed them gutentight, with lots of
    grease. Frame is a Klein.

  17. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >
    > > We install many ISIS FSA cranks and none 'creak'. Doubt it is
    > > the ISIS design but perhaps installation???

    > I installed FSA ISIS bottom bracket and FSA triple a few months

    ago.
    > No creaking so far. I installed them gutentight, with lots of
    > grease. Frame is a Klein.

    It is an odd design BB, though, with the cups compressing the
    bearings into the shell rather than the bearings being pressed
    into the shell a la Phil, Shimano, etc. Mine creaks somewhat,
    but it is installed in a Cannondale, so every bottom bracket
    creaks after a long enough time. I slather more Ti antiseize on
    the cups if the creaking gets to be too much, and that seems to
    do the trick. Good value for my token high end piece of
    equipment. -- Jay Beattie.

  18. > Mike J-<< Not so sure that the ISIS system is perfect
    > though; seems like it's a lot noisier (more creaking). Could be that the
    > FSA isn't the greatest BB in the world, but haven't had a chance to
    > >><BR><BR>

    > Guess it's the day to talk to you Mike. We install many ISIS FSA cranks
    > and
    > none 'creak'. Doubt it is the ISIS design but perhaps installation???

    I shouldn't have come down on ISIS as much as the FSA bottom bracket. The
    creaking is most likely coming from where the two sections of the BB meet,
    since re-greasing and re-tightening it makes it go away. I've never had to
    resort to anything like teflon tape before, but may have to. I should also
    add that this happens after riding in the rain; until then, no problem. I
    know, that's what my rain bike's for...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mike J-<< Not so sure that the ISIS system is perfect
    > though; seems like it's a lot noisier (more creaking). Could be that the
    > FSA isn't the greatest BB in the world, but haven't had a chance to
    > >><BR><BR>

    > Guess it's the day to talk to you Mike. We install many ISIS FSA cranks
    > and
    > none 'creak'. Doubt it is the ISIS design but perhaps installation???
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  19. > Terry-<< Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    > seeing more and more of those. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Nothing at all except a visit to a standard TREK dealer and I doubt they
    > will
    > sell ya a 2005 anything w/o a crank and swap to a FSA...

    Peter: The compact crank is an option on all high-end TREK bikes this year.
    No swapping involved. However, it will be 50/36, not 50/34, since Shimano
    rates the front derailleur as having a 14t capacity, and most manufacturers
    won't spec beyond rated capacity anymore.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  20. Ronsonic

    Ronsonic Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:21:44 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> Terry-<< Is there anything wrong with using the FSA compact (50/34)? I'm
    >> seeing more and more of those. >><BR><BR>
    >>
    >> Nothing at all except a visit to a standard TREK dealer and I doubt they
    >> will
    >> sell ya a 2005 anything w/o a crank and swap to a FSA...

    >Peter: The compact crank is an option on all high-end TREK bikes this year.
    >No swapping involved. However, it will be 50/36, not 50/34, since Shimano
    >rates the front derailleur as having a 14t capacity, and most manufacturers
    >won't spec beyond rated capacity anymore.

    Hey, could you enlighten the ignorant, why the compact? Because us ordinary
    people don't have a real use for a 53x12 anyway so might as well scale down the
    whole set? Simpler and lighter than using larger cogs across the board, just use
    two smaller chainwheels?

    Ron