Trek Madone and Domane

hyperliterate

Apr 21, 2013
Among the bikes I road tested before I bought my Supersix were the Trek Madone and Domane. Did anyone notice that those names are anagrams?

"no, we are not hyperliterates
smile.gif
"

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Originally Posted by vspa .

hehe, i think its a coincidence anyway,
I doubt they are coincidences. Neither are words,strictly speaking. Domani is Italian for tomorrow, but Trek spells it Domane and Madone could be the Sicilian or Neopolitan dialectal variant of the Italian expression Madonna (meaning the Virgin Mary) and, usually expressed by Italian-Americans from Southern Italian families with a shaking of one's hand and saying Madonn' to express surprise or wonder.

Forgive me, I'm such a pedant.

hyperliterate said:
I doubt they are coincidences.  Neither are words,strictly speaking.  Domani is Italian for tomorrow, but Trek spells it Domane and Madone could be the Sicilian or Neopolitan dialectal variant of the Italian expression Madonna (meaning the Virgin Mary) and, usually expressed by Italian-Americans from Southern Italian families with a shaking of one's hand and saying Madonn' to express surprise or wonder. Forgive me, I'm such a pedant. 
Actually, Madone comes from the name of a climb, the Col de la Madone, that is and has been used as training ground for some pro's.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate .

Forgive me, I'm such a pedant.
This is right about the time the ex-GF would ask "did somebody swallow a dictionary?".

Domane is Latin for "king's crown".

I'm shocked sloveniandude did not point this out.

Trek's website says it's Latin for "full gas".

Meh...as long as folks don't corrupt Campy...

alienator said:
Actually, Madone comes from the name of a climb, the Col de la Madone, that is and has been used as training ground for some pro's.
yes, it was one of armstrong's training ground among other pro's i guess, who was sponsored by trek of course, that's the origin of the name on their frame, 100% certainty

Originally Posted by alienator .

This sounds authoritative and it has the added advantage of being cycling related. So much for my speculations. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Domane is Latin for "king's crown".

I'm shocked sloveniandude did not point this out.

Trek's website says it's Latin for "full gas".

Meh...as long as folks don't corrupt Campy...
Google Translate says Domane is Latin for overcoming. However, if you try to translate overcoming to Latin, it comes up with a totally different word, expurnaturum.

hyperliterate said:
Among the bikes I road tested before I bought my Supersix  were the Trek Madone and Domane.  Did anyone notice that those names are anagrams?  
the guys at trek surely noticed