Trek Madone'

soonercyclist93

Dec 27, 2003
I am inlove with this new Trek! Am I the only one? I think it is one of the nicest frames Ive ever laid my eyes on-bike frames that is. I just cant get enough of it. Anyone ridden one yet? :confused:

Originally posted by soonercyclist93
I am inlove with this new Trek! Am I the only one? I think it is one of the nicest frames Ive ever laid my eyes on-bike frames that is. I just cant get enough of it. Anyone ridden one yet? :confused:

I have ridden that bike once on a group ride. Another rider and me decided to switch bikes for a little while. His Trek was a tad too small, but the ride was awesome. I normally ride steel bikes and like the lively feel. THe carbon Trek felt a little dead, but we were going over some rough chippy roads and the carbon really smoothed out the vibrations rather well. I'd get one, if not for the eye-popping, jaw-dropping pricetag. For now, I'm contempt with my steel bike.

Sooner,

The Madone was one of the "choice" bikes I aimed for, hard to find even in major markets.

That is about as sexy as a bike can get, JMO.

Bacardi, "For now, I'm contempt with my steel bike."... "contempt "?

I haven't ridden one, nor could I afford one (part of the reason I won't ride one:)) but it is one beautiful bike. The shop I worked at for a few weeks had one on their floor for a bit and every time I walked in, I couldn't help but to stop and admire the curves. Even with the Lemond Tete de Course next to it, it stood out as a thing of pure beauty.

Originally posted by DanP
Sooner,

The Madone was one of the "choice" bikes I aimed for, hard to find even in major markets.

That is about as sexy as a bike can get, JMO.

Bacardi, "For now, I'm contempt with my steel bike."... "contempt "?

whoops. I should say satisfied.

Originally posted by soonercyclist93

I'll admit if I were in the market for an all carbon ride, I would certainly take a long hard look. (That and a Calfee). ;)

It does look great although I can't help but think that the rear wheel "cut out" on the seat tube is a lot more for looks than function.
To gain an aerodynamic effect, a seat tube cut out needs to be extremely close to the rear wheel (~5mm) and that is definitely not the case with the Madone. Hence I see that aspect of the frame as being a similar marketing ploy to the HP chain stays on new Colnagos eg C40HP (ie looks sexy & new therefore charge lots of $$$ even though it adds nothing to the function).

Originally posted by patch70
It does look great although I can't help but think that the rear wheel "cut out" on the seat tube is a lot more for looks than function.
To gain an aerodynamic effect, a seat tube cut out needs to be extremely close to the rear wheel (~5mm) and that is definitely not the case with the Madone. Hence I see that aspect of the frame as being a similar marketing ploy to the HP chain stays on new Colnagos eg C40HP (ie looks sexy & new therefore charge lots of $$$ even though it adds nothing to the function).

Youre probably right about the aerodynamics but, it does look sexy! Overall, it is way out of my price league but it sure is a sight to behold.

I'm on a Tete now, and loe the ride, but that Madone just keeps pulling at me. I can't imagine I'll ride any better with it, and the ti/carbon combo of the Tete is an awsome ride! My mind says go, my wallet says NFW!

Originally posted by bigfloppyllama
I haven't ridden one, nor could I afford one (part of the reason I won't ride one:)) but it is one beautiful bike. The shop I worked at for a few weeks had one on their floor for a bit and every time I walked in, I couldn't help but to stop and admire the curves. Even with the Lemond Tete de Course next to it, it stood out as a thing of pure beauty.

It's interesting seeing what people think of the Madone. By looking at it for the first time I thought it would no doubt be "the talk of the town". It sure is gorgeous.

The latest issue of Bicycling Magazine had a review of the Madone. To my surprise, they didn't "gush" about it. Trek knows what they're doing when it comes to pro level carbon frames so clearly, this bike won't suck. However, unlike Trek's 5000 series, it sounds like it may be a fairly harsh ride.

One thing that puzzles me a bit is, when Lance had his crash on the Madone this past July, the chain stay cracked half way through. I know that crash wasn't anything to be taken lightly, however the crash wasn't as extreme as many can get. Trek said it was a triumph to their carbon frames that he still finished the stage, but I'm thinking it shouldn't have cracked in the first place. I can't ride like Lance so I don't get my bikes for free. I'm wondering if Trek is taking a little too much out of the frame to save those few additional grams. :confused:

When lance crashed on Luz Ardiden this year he wasn't on a new madone, he was riding a prototype 5900, that is supposed to be lighter than the madone and looks just like the current 5900. Maybe they made it out of oclv 100 instead of 110, who knows, but he wasn't on the madone for the mountain stages.

Originally posted by Postie

One thing that puzzles me a bit is, when Lance had his crash on the Madone this past July, the chain stay cracked half way through. I know that crash wasn't anything to be taken lightly, however the crash wasn't as extreme as many can get. Trek said it was a triumph to their carbon frames that he still finished the stage, but I'm thinking it shouldn't have cracked in the first place. I can't ride like Lance so I don't get my bikes for free. I'm wondering if Trek is taking a little too much out of the frame to save those few additional grams. :confused:

From what I saw, it looked like Mayo came right across the chainstay, which would probably cause problems on any of the superlight frames out today.

Originally posted by gregkeller
When lance crashed on Luz Ardiden this year he wasn't on a new madone, he was riding a prototype 5900, that is supposed to be lighter than the madone and looks just like the current 5900. Maybe they made it out of oclv 100 instead of 110, who knows, but he wasn't on the madone for the mountain stages.

Thanks gregkeller.

I knew that Lance used a new version of the 5900 for several stages, but I had forgot that it was on Luz Ardiden. I guess I was thinking of that cross-country riding he did when Beloki crashed. Which brings up a true triumph of the Madone. :) That wasn't something you see every day.

However, I realize I'm digressing. ...sorry... Since the 1st step of creating the Madone was "putting the 5900 on a diet" and then using what they learned to create an areo bike that was lighter then the 2003 tour winner, does anyone think that Trek is making the Madone (or the 5900) weaker in the process?