Trek Mountain bike question for techs

jkdrummer

Guest
I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
- and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

Thanks
JaKe
Seattle

On Sep 3, 3:00 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
> bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
> - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
> disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
> forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
> into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
> further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
> from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
> shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
> able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

Threadless stem and headset adjustment:

http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

On Sep 3, 1:41 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 3:00 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
> > bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
> > - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
> > disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
> > forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
> > into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
> > further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
> > from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
> > shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
> > able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

> Threadless stem and headset adjustment:
>
> http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
>
> You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
> stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
> it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

Wow - this looks like a job for a cycle shop. Any idea what this
might cost?

JaKe

On Sep 3, 5:24 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 1:41 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 3, 3:00 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
> > > bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
> > > - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
> > > disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
> > > forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
> > > into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
> > > further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
> > > from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
> > > shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
> > > able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

> > Threadless stem and headset adjustment:

> >http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

> > You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
> > stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
> > it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

> Wow - this looks like a job for a cycle shop. Any idea what this
> might cost?

I dunno, some shops might charge you a twenty to tighten up a headset,
my LBS would probably replace a stem on the spot and tighten the
headset for free, if you bought the stem there. That's if it wasn't
busy.

It's really easy to tighten up a threadless stem. You just need to set
the bearing preload with the hex bolt on top of the stem with the stem
clamp loose, then, when the slop is taken out, you tighten the clamp.
It's dead simple. You don't need to press in any cups or seat any
crown races (both which are easy as well), just replace stem as needed
to raise or put on a stem raiser. Five minutes--unless you go too far
and need to put in longer cables.

On Sep 3, 3:44 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 5:24 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Threadless stem and headset adjustment:

> > >http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

> > > You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
> > > stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
> > > it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

> > Wow - this looks like a job for a cycle shop. Any idea what this
> > might cost?

> I dunno, some shops might charge you a twenty to tighten up a headset,
> my LBS would probably replace a stem on the spot and tighten the
> headset for free, if you bought the stem there. That's if it wasn't
> busy.
>
> It's really easy to tighten up a threadless stem. You just need to set
> the bearing preload with the hex bolt on top of the stem with the stem
> clamp loose, then, when the slop is taken out, you tighten the clamp.
> It's dead simple. You don't need to press in any cups or seat any
> crown races (both which are easy as well), just replace stem as needed
> to raise or put on a stem raiser. Five minutes--unless you go too far
> and need to put in longer cables.

Thanks for replies! I'll look into it and try myself as well.

JaKe
Seattle

>> > I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
>> > bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
>> > - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
>> > disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
>> > forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
>> > into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
>> > further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
>> > from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
>> > shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
>> > able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

>> Threadless stem and headset adjustment:
>>
>> http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
>>
>> You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
>> stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
>> it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

> Wow - this looks like a job for a cycle shop. Any idea what this
> might cost?

Cost will depend upon what direction you go. If you need a much-higher
position for the handlebars, you'll have to replace brake & gear cables,
because they won't be long enough. That can add up to a fair amount of
expense in itself. But you might be able to get an inch or two of added
height without changing cables. All that would require is a stem with more
"rise" to it (the part going out from the bike would have a steeper angle
than the stock one). A stem itself might cost $25 or so, and if you buy it
from the shop you got the bike, it's quite possible they won't charge for
installation. Otherwise it's a pretty simple job that someone might charge
$5 for.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"jkdrummer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 3, 1:41 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 3:00 pm, jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
>> > bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
>> > - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
>> > disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
>> > forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
>> > into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
>> > further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
>> > from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
>> > shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
>> > able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?

>> Threadless stem and headset adjustment:
>>
>> http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65
>>
>> You can get the bars up by either going to riser bars, getting a new
>> stem, or using a stem raiser such as the Delta. I use the latter, and
>> it's a cheap fast fix, if a little ugly.

> Wow - this looks like a job for a cycle shop. Any idea what this
> might cost?
>
> JaKe

jkdrummer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a 5600(?) mountain bike. My son wanted me raise the handle
> bars and I couldn't. The shaft from the front forks go up only so far
> - and there's two donut spacers that go right on the shaft. While
> disassembling this I also noticed that shaft is loose and moves
> forward and aft like it's loose. There's a split washer that fits
> into the frame tube but that only goes so far - you'd think it'd go in
> further to stop the shaft from wiggling. So how to stop this shaft
> from wiggling? Am I missing something here? Should I take into the
> shop for a taller handle bar shaft? What a stupid design - not being
> able to tighten the stirring shaft to the forks! Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> JaKe
> Seattle

You've already gotten pretty good advice from other posters. If you do
need shop advice, I can recommend a shop if you give me a general
location in Seattle. I'm in the Central District, right near the I-90
tunnel entrance.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"We take your bags and send them in all directions."