trek MTBs

abby_t

Aug 12, 2003
It seems that most people here recommend other brands (like Giant, Kona, Cannondale, Specialized, etc.) over Trek when it comes to MTBs.

I don't want to open a can of worms here, and I know that much of it comes down to personal preference rather than measurable quality, but I'm curious. What's the skinny on Trek MTBs?

Does anyone here ride one? Are they better in some areas than in others?

My boyfriend is into road cycling and he's had treks for years, now we're talking about getting into mountain biking (and I'm ready to trade in my seven-year-old bottom-of-the-line schwinn mtb). He's leaning toward treks, but I'm wondering what real mtb people think.

I think they're good bikes for the money. You can get anything from a cheapo $200 bike all the way to a couple thousand dollar bike. Everyone I know that has one likes it alot.

The only thing I don't like about them(and this may be dumb) is that everybody and brother has one around here. I guess I like to have something a little diferent.-----------Dave

I agree with Dave. They are good bikes. Just go out and ride as many as you can from different shops and find one that fits you well and that you are confortable on. You will know the one when you get on it. Happy Hunting, Cotty

Nothing wrong with Trek quality. They seem to pitch their cheaper MTBs more at the novice market though, whereas their Gary Fisher brand features more race-ready geometry.

TREK rules, I'm on my fourth one now, I had one of the early bonded alu frames, then an 8000 carbon composite (kind of flexy but still a great ride), after that one of the new Alpha Alu framed bikes with discs et al (stolen, a cause of much heartbreak) and now a six year old 930 which despite it's relatively low price is one of the best chromoly frames I've ridden, it's got that whippiness to it that makes sprinting a total blast. Don't listen to bike nazis that say that TREK is too mainstream and that their geometry is too relaxed, the 930 loves weaving through trees/traffic and goes exactly where I point it.
My girlfriend has a 4900 Womens Specific Design Alpha Alu which she bought completely independently of my influence and she totally loves it too (this may be because the WSD geometry prevents me from riding it)

Hope this helps your decision.

Ride on.

Originally posted by Charlie Parker
My girlfriend has a 4900 Womens Specific Design Alpha Alu which she bought completely independently of my influence and she totally loves it too (this may be because the WSD geometry prevents me from riding it)

Hope this helps your decision.

Ride on.

I was thinking about a 4900, and possibly the WSD (I'm 5'2'' so I need a small bike and I'll go with a WSD if it fits better). How are the components on that bike (specifically the fork)? Has your girfriend made an upgrades or had any problems with anything on it?

Hi.
my name is mike, iand i am 17....my cycling experence is about 14 years...and im a sponcered racer, so i guesss i do what i am talking about when it comes down to this kind of stuff. i have had AOLT of mt.bikes, cuz thats what i do. i have had a trek since 98..after that i got a GT and then i got a K2..i recently broke my k2 and got back on my trek..and i have been told buy randome people and my best riding buddys that i have deffinatly gottin alot faster. so if that tells you sumthing then yea i like treks and any one that has a bad word about them probibally doesn't have a clue...after all Lance Armstrong rides a trek and so does the whole USPS team. and he is the best rider in the whole world..he has provin that with his TREK 5 times.

I have a new Trek... oopppsss I guess not... I ride a 1995 Trek Y-33... ful XTR... I love the bike... It is full suspension/OCLV with Aluminum rear triangle... quite a few people don't like that model because it is too active... whatever, I like it and that is what matters... My wife has a 95 6500... The quality is there, the company is there... just make sure you have a dealership there...

hey Abby_t,
I have a Trek 4900 Alpha Alu and i love it.I did have a Norco and a Rocky Mountain before but this Trek is the champ.I have to be honest and tell you that i have tried lower priced Treks but this 4900 does it all and still have enough $$$ in your pocket to accesorize it.I have full light (dynamo type),carbon fiber (look alike) fenders,Echo F7 computer,Kryptonite New York lock,Axiom rear rack (a solid one made to accept "saddle bags" and can hold 25 lbs !,Lambert kick stand, all bike is lubricated with Finish Line synthetic oil and grease,and let's not forget the fishing rod attachment (bought a wally mart...cheap ($9.99 cnd).In all i haven't really spend too much and really i have a Trek 4900 that performs.
Your choice....

Originally posted by abby_t
I was thinking about a 4900, and possibly the WSD (I'm 5'2'' so I need a small bike and I'll go with a WSD if it fits better). How are the components on that bike (specifically the fork)? Has your girfriend made an upgrades or had any problems with anything on it?

My girlfriend is 5'3" and around 95 lbs, she has the 15" frame I think. Overall componentry is of a good standard, Bontrager (or so labelled) bar, stem and seatpost, also excellent Bontrager wheelset with offset spokes at rear (for reduced dishing). The drivetrain is all SHIMANO, a combination of Acera and Deore which all performs as well as XTR did five or six years ago. The fork is a ROCK SHOX Judy TT, although this fork is not generally highly thought of this one seems plush as can be and the springing is pitched perfectly for the lighter rider. Frame wise the main difference in the WSD is the super short top-tube, I am 6'1" and the bike feels like a BMX if I try to ride it, the front end is very light, good for wheelies but you would have to watch your weight distribution on steep ascents. As I said before, my girlfriend loves this bike and still rides the factory set-up, she has yet to discover a reason to change anything.