Trek not making Lemond frames?

Musashi

Guest
According to the "underground" site, Trek as stopped making Lemond
frames.

Is this true? Starting when? Is someone else making them? Links to
stories on the matter?

Thanks,
Musashi

> According to the "underground" site, Trek as stopped making Lemond
> frames.
>
> Is this true? Starting when? Is someone else making them? Links to
> stories on the matter?

News to me! While there's always a chance that the Lance/LeMond thing might
cause some changes sometime down the road, that time doesn't appear to be
now. All of the LeMonds with steel, titanium, ti/carbon and steel/carbon
are still made in Waterloo, WI... I don't think that something that major
could change without me knowing about it.

Of course, the more sure I am about something, the more likely it is that
I'm wrong.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Musashi <> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> According to the "underground" site, Trek as stopped making Lemond
> frames.
>
> Is this true? Starting when? Is someone else making them? Links to
> stories on the matter?
>
> Thanks,
> Musashi

yeah...

Stolen Underground isn't exactly CNN. It's fun but not a reliable
source of news.

The Lemond website still shows a Trek LLC trademark. But it would not
be surprising if they are dropped. Lemond has little say in the
business he is purely a marketing tool. If he is reflecting poorly on
Trek and it impacts Trek sales, Trek will probably be inclined to drop
them. Especially if Lemond sales begin to flounder as well.

Chris

> The Lemond website still shows a Trek LLC trademark. But it would not
> be surprising if they are dropped. Lemond has little say in the
> business he is purely a marketing tool. If he is reflecting poorly on
> Trek and it impacts Trek sales, Trek will probably be inclined to drop
> them. Especially if Lemond sales begin to flounder as well.

Interestingly, LeMond sales seem quite strong at the moment. They've done a
very good job differentiating the product from the TREK line, and the
reintroduction of steel frames will probably provide additional momentum.

For what it's worth, we do get a small number of extremely vocal customers
who say they would NEVER buy a LeMond (due to his remarks). But it doesn't
keep those customers out of the store or stop them from buying one of our
other lines. That could change down the road, but for now, that's what we
see.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"Chris Daggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Musashi <> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> According to the "underground" site, Trek as stopped making Lemond
>> frames.
>>
>> Is this true? Starting when? Is someone else making them? Links to
>> stories on the matter?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Musashi

> yeah...
>
> Stolen Underground isn't exactly CNN. It's fun but not a reliable
> source of news.
>
> The Lemond website still shows a Trek LLC trademark. But it would not
> be surprising if they are dropped. Lemond has little say in the
> business he is purely a marketing tool. If he is reflecting poorly on
> Trek and it impacts Trek sales, Trek will probably be inclined to drop
> them. Especially if Lemond sales begin to flounder as well.
>
> Chris

"Mike Jacoubowsky<[email protected]>
> For what it's worth, we do get a small number of extremely vocal customers
> who say they would NEVER buy a LeMond (due to his remarks). But it
> doesn't keep those customers out of the store or stop them from buying one
> of our other lines. That could change down the road, but for now, that's
> what we see.

mike -
if those vocal customers followed the news re lance's pal,
dr ferrari, do you think they'd change their tune?
e-RICHIE

Richard Sachs wrote:

> "Mike Jacoubowsky<[email protected]>
>
>>For what it's worth, we do get a small number of extremely vocal customers
>>who say they would NEVER buy a LeMond (due to his remarks). But it
>>doesn't keep those customers out of the store or stop them from buying one
>>of our other lines. That could change down the road, but for now, that's
>>what we see.

> mike -
> if those vocal customers followed the news re lance's pal,
> dr ferrari, do you think they'd change their tune?
> e-RICHIE

I swear never to buy a Ferrari!

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Richard Sachs said:
"Mike Jacoubowsky<[email protected]>
> For what it's worth, we do get a small number of extremely vocal customers
> who say they would NEVER buy a LeMond (due to his remarks). But it
> doesn't keep those customers out of the store or stop them from buying one
> of our other lines. That could change down the road, but for now, that's
> what we see.

mike -
if those vocal customers followed the news re lance's pal,
dr ferrari, do you think they'd change their tune?
e-RICHIE

I own a LeMond Tete de Course and initially was ready to sell it after Greg's comments. And get a Trek. or a Sachs.

Actually my feelings tempered over time. even before the Ferrari conviction. I still feel the way and time Greg chose to make his comments were questionable. If he knows something, he should say.

But, as for Ferrari, it does add to the where there's smoke there's fire sense of what is going on with Tyler and Lance. Innocent till proven guilty I say with regards to Tyler and there's Nothing on Lance but innuendo, but questionable judgement on Lance's part to hang with Ferrari.

So my initial reaction was probably too strong, and a bike is a bike is a bike. Lemond needs to get its identity and look more stabilized. They're all over the place.

Diablo Scott wrote:
> I swear never to buy a Ferrari!

No Colnago's for you either:
http://www.colnagonews.com/prova2/storia/ctb/ctb.htm

>From: warren [email protected]
>Date: 10/5/2004 8:50 PM Easte

>From: warren [email protected]

>There's something wrong about seeing one of Richard's frames mentioned
>in the same sentence as Ford...
>
>-WG (I still ride mine occasionally, circa 1978.)

Nope. When Ford wants something right, they do it right. Carroll Shelby, the
original Gt 40, now this one. They have about as much to do with "corporate"
Ford as all those "Huffys" did with their production line.
Bill C

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:50:32 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There's something wrong about seeing one of Richard's frames mentioned
>in the same sentence as Ford...
>
>-WG (I still ride mine occasionally, circa 1978.)

Ford or Sachs? They both have lugs, although you have to give the edge
to the Sachs on style and quality. I had (or maybe its still somewhere
around) a picture of a red Sachs with white lugs that I would have
killed anyone not already a friend for. And former friends for that
matter. My wife said I lacked a sense of perspective, but I said no
matter how nice the bike looked, you shouldn't kill friends.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...