Trek OCLV frames on Ebay

midnightmoses

May 11, 2004
Hi,
Lately, I've seen three, 2003, Trek 5900 frames for sale on Ebay that do not look like a typical Trek OCLV frame. That is, the paint is not standard and there are fewer decals. All three were painted a burgandy, dark cherry color.

One seller said that his came from Trek's warranty department and that these frames are only offered to Trek's best dealers.

Does anyone know the story on these frames? Are these frames that have been returned to Trek under warranty that are then repaired and resold? Are they really 5900s? Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks any information,

moses

Originally posted by midnightmoses
Hi,
Lately, I've seen three, 2003, Trek 5900 frames for sale on Ebay that do not look like a typical Trek OCLV frame. That is, the paint is not standard and there are fewer decals. All three were painted a burgandy, dark cherry color.

One seller said that his came from Trek's warranty department and that these frames are only offered to Trek's best dealers.

Does anyone know the story on these frames? Are these frames that have been returned to Trek under warranty that are then repaired and resold? Are they really 5900s? Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks any information,

moses
Ask the question to www.chainreactionbicycles.com They are a big Trek dealer,the owner knows everything going on with Trek and is a straight shooter. You could also post to the the recreation bicycle newsgroup tech forum where he hangs out and answers questions too,but also expect some BS answers.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Ask the question to www.chainreactionbicycles.com They are a big Trek dealer,the owner knows everything going on with Trek and is a straight shooter. You could also post to the the recreation bicycle newsgroup tech forum where he hangs out and answers questions too,but also expect some BS answers.

Thanks for the information. The ChainReaction web site says that they don't want you to call or email with questions about bikes or frames purchased by mail or over the internet.

So, I'll try the newsgroup.

moses

I would give them a call anyway. I am sure they would like to hear about this sort of selling of Trek on e-bay!

Rocket69

Originally posted by Rocket69
I would give them a call anyway. I am sure they would like to hear about this sort of selling of Trek on e-bay!

Rocket69
Yeah,a Trek dealer should not be doing it,but anyone who bought through a Trek dealer can then do whatever with the goods,assuming it's even a real Trek to begin with.