Trek or Cannondale (again)

Paul J

Apr 10, 2003
Should I buy a six year old CAAD3 Cannondale with full durace. Or should I go with a spanking brand new Trek 1200 for an extra few hundred quid.
Some opinions here would be greatly appreciated folks.

Paul J.

Paul

I Have just borrowed a friend's Trek 1200 (no carbon fork) for a couple of weeks and put a few hundred miles on it including some time trialling followed by borrowing a Cannondale R500 (CAAD4) from my local shop for a long weekend. The CAAD4 p...... all over the Trek and weighs in at about 3lbs less if you can live with the slightly harsh ride (Trek softer). Suggest you try both but it may depend on what you are looking for in a bike

Good luck
Sean

Paul

I Have just borrowed a friend's Trek 1200 (no carbon fork) for a couple of weeks and put a few hundred miles on it including some time trialling followed by borrowing a Cannondale R500 (CAAD4) from my local shop for a long weekend. The CAAD4 p...... all over the Trek and weighs in at about 3lbs less if you can live with the slightly harsh ride (Trek softer). Suggest you try both but it may depend on what you are looking for in a bike

Good luck
Sean

A couple of weeks ago I went bike shopping, and rode (amongst others) a Cannondale R800 and a Trek 1500, both exactly the same price. While the Cannondale felt fast, it was also a lot harsher, with very twitchy steering. The Trek was definitely less harsh and felt more comfortable, without giving away anything (noticeable) on speed or acceleration. (I bought the Trek.) The Trek bikes also seem to have better components at similar price points to the Cannondales. The other point is that the Treks and Cannondales have sufficiently different geometries that one should definitely be a better fit than the other.

Cannondale will be more efficient, but also because of the stiffness will have a more harsh ride - So my opinion is Cannondale for speed, the Trek for long comfort

try them both. just because a bike has some years does not make it a bad bike. the silly notion of always needing new is a joke these days.

Originally posted by Paul J
Should I buy a six year old CAAD3 Cannondale with full durace. Or should I go with a spanking brand new Trek 1200 for an extra few hundred quid.
Some opinions here would be greatly appreciated folks.

Paul J.

What the hell is a "quid"

heh, just kidding... Six years is quite a long stretch and if the history of the bike is unknown, that might throw a few question marks into the mix... I have a Trek 5200 so most would think I'd be Trek loyal in any and all cases, but I've ridden a CAAD3 frame and a Trek 1x00 and I just thought the Trek had a more supple ride than the Cannondale. By supple I mean that it felt more planted during rough corners while the C'dale felt like it was "bouncing" sideways... Just that one characteristic steered me away from the C'Dales but then again, my descending sucks! :)

Feanor

Fit is super important, of course. You can be precisely fit to a new bike, whereas the Cannondale is going to be whatever it is. You can play with the seatpost and stem a bit, but unless you're positive it's a good match for your body, I'd shop new.