Trek or Giant

O'Hoy

Dec 28, 2004
I am buying my first bike, and I am either thinking of buying a Trek 1000 T or a Giant OCR 3. which would you out there would be a better bike for a beginner.

Well, they are practically the same bike if you ask me. I'd go with the Giant, only because I have an OCR 3 and like it. Plus you can get it in black.

You will probably get arguments about which is better, in addition to many suggestions of what other bikes people think are suitable. I think both bikes are fine, and my advice would be to choose the one that stirs your soul. When you think and look at the bikes, which one makes you want to ride it more? That's the one to pick. Remember, you can like anything you like for any reason you like. Good luck.

O'Hoy said:
I am buying my first bike, and I am either thinking of buying a Trek 1000 T or a Giant OCR 3. which would you out there would be a better bike for a beginner.
Best answer: Buy the one that you feel the most comfortable with. (You have done a test ride right?).

Both bikes are similarly equipted so it depends on feel and comfort really. But I would suggest a slight upgrade, something with a minimum of Shimano Tiagra components (OCR2 or Trek 1500). This will make future upgrades much easier and less costly. Just a thought from someone who started off with Sora and learned the hard way.

I recently bought my first bike: TREK 1000. I was also trying to decide between OCR 3 and TREK 1000 and finally decided to get TREK. I test rode it, and it was really comfortable. The compact frame of the Giant didn't do it for me, but I'm sure it is more comfortable for a lot of people.

So far; I'm pretty happy with my bike. I will have to take it to the local bike store to get the cranks adjusted because the biggest one makes a noise. Let me know if you need more detailed description of my experience so far.

Oytun

I've been a loyal Trek customer for years. I'm on my 4th Trek (upgrades on both mtb & road) and have loved every one of them. Trek also has great customer service that you can contact by email, or phone and they're lifetime frame warranty is excellent.

Newbie here and I recently bought my first road bike. I bought an 04 Trek 1500 for $900 USD. I initially started looking at a Trek 1000 and a Specialized Allez but ended on going with the 1500 because of the upgraded components.

ghostpedal said:
... SNIP ... and my advice would be to choose the one that stirs your soul. When you think and look at the bikes, which one makes you want to ride it more? That's the one to pick ...

I'm a Trek owner (2300) and I love it, but I have to agree with this statement, choose the one that is more appealing to you, the one that calls you go forever on the road, the one that makes you proud to ride it ... and of course, the one that fits you better, they have two different geometry and that can be an important comfort differentiator.

I've ridden both, both carbon. My view on the Trek was, nice frame and finish. Unfortunately, the chain-stays came away and the frame was replaced under warranty (a 1996 model). I now ride a Giant Carbon. This frame I really like. Unfortunately, on this one, the forks came away at the crown, luckily the whole thing was held together by the front-brake bolt and I managed to finish the stage I was riding, and change out the forks for the next stage !!

Don't forget to look at any "Last Year Models" that may still be in the bike shop. You may be able to buy a better bike at the same price. I bought a 2002 Trek 2300 in June of 2003 for $1500. The big difference was Ultegra verus 105's. As far as Trek versus Giant, I have been a Trek fan for a long time. Haven't checked out the Giants, but as already said, pick what feels comfortable and looks good to you.

The most important thing to look for in a first bike is fit. You need to make sure the frame fits you and that you have the correct length stem, handlebar width, and saddle. You could get on a $5000 colnago and hate it because the saddle was uncomfortable or the stem was too long. :mad:

I would recommend basing your purchase on the bike shop, since both bikes are so similar. The shop that is willing to swap out, or give you a substantial discount, on the correct stem and saddle, as well as work with you to find out which stem and saddle are correct, is the winner.

When I first started riding, I used a selle italia trans am saddle that turned out to be waaaaay to wide. When I switched to a san marco era, I felt like I had a new bike. You'll need to find a saddle that only touches your sit bones. Anything wider will limit leg mobility, and anything narrower will damage the soft tissues in your crotch. :eek:

Here are a couple links for bike fit. http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/FitLinks/bike_fit_links.htm
Probably the best... http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I would also second the other suggestions about getting a bike with better components and looking for a used bike.

Good luck!

With limited knowledge about road bikes, I would also recommend the Giant. I too have an OCR3 and like it alot. I also have an older Trek sport/road bike that I'm reconditioning and it rides very well. I chose the Giant for the frame, as I have short legs and felt more comfortable on the compact frame. That being said though, I'm sure that it will always come down to trial and error and someone who knows a bit about fitting a bike correctly. Either way, dont see how you could go wrong with one or the other.

I recently bought The Giant C0, and it's the nicest ride I've had in 10+ years of cycling. I feel like i'm part of the road, the bike becomes part of me. I love it. The only problem with the giant's is the lack of sizing options, but the large frame was exactly my size.

You can check out my specs here: http://www.triweek.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1

Test drive all sorts of bikes before you buy, I would have never thought to buy a giant before i test rode this one.