Trek or Klein?

sephadex

Jul 24, 2006
I hoping I could find some advice here. My bike was recently stolen, so I'm looking for a new one. I had previously been riding a mountain bike, but I'm now looking for either a Hybrid or Road Bike. The catch is I can only spend what the insurance is giving me because I'm saving for for a wedding. So I've been looking at the Trek 7.2 FX and the Kona Dew new, but I've also seen a 5 year old Klein road bike on Craigslist for $350. I am wondering which of these would be the best value and get me the most for the money.

Thanks very much

sephadex said:
I hoping I could find some advice here. My bike was recently stolen, so I'm looking for a new one. I had previously been riding a mountain bike, but I'm now looking for either a Hybrid or Road Bike. The catch is I can only spend what the insurance is giving me because I'm saving for for a wedding. So I've been looking at the Trek 7.2 FX and the Kona Dew new, but I've also seen a 5 year old Klein road bike on Craigslist for $350. I am wondering which of these would be the best value and get me the most for the money.

Thanks very much

The Klein might be a good buy. What components does it have?

Can you please tell us what type of riding you will be doing? I have several friends that have the Trek 7.2 fx and they love them. The bike is pretty light and rides very smooth and quick. Do you have any back or neck problems? if so I would suggest the more upright riding style of the hybrid bike. You can get shorter stems, etc for road bikes to make them more upright but the feel of riding a hybrid is basically that of a mountain bike, nice and upright. It really depends on what type of roads you will be riding on as to which would be the best for you.

ishiwata said:
The Klein might be a good buy. What components does it have?
According to the ad it is: Klein Stage Comp (1999) that comes with Shimano 105 components

He is selling it because the frame is a bit small for him.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Deb76 said:
Can you please tell us what type of riding you will be doing? I have several friends that have the Trek 7.2 fx and they love them. The bike is pretty light and rides very smooth and quick. Do you have any back or neck problems? if so I would suggest the more upright riding style of the hybrid bike. You can get shorter stems, etc for road bikes to make them more upright but the feel of riding a hybrid is basically that of a mountain bike, nice and upright. It really depends on what type of roads you will be riding on as to which would be the best for you.
Well, I'll mostly be doing the 6 mile commute to my office, but i do plan on riding it on paved trails or in the city. I liked the feel of the 7.2, but I also test rode a raod bike for the first time (can't remember what it was, it was way out of my price range) and really liked the feel of it.

sephadex said:
According to the ad it is: Klein Stage Comp (1999) that comes with Shimano 105 components

He is selling it because the frame is a bit small for him.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

$350 sounds like a good deal to me, assuming the condition is good, and that it fits you well. That bike would probably go for close to double that amount where I live.

ishiwata said:
$350 sounds like a good deal to me, assuming the condition is good, and that it fits you well. That bike would probably go for close to double that amount where I live.
Unfortunately I just heard from him, and it was sold.

Right now I'm using CL along with checking out bike stores, it's a catch 22 though because if I buy from a shop I can't afford something I really want, but if I buy from CL there's no guarantees