trek or specialized

devster

Feb 2, 2004
I'm currently trying to decide on which bike to buy. I'm looking at the Trek 2300, and the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Other than the relaxed geometry frame on the Specialized are there any major differences between the two bikes? Which one would you choose and why?

It all depends what you want the bike for. Is it for racing or for recreational riding. Then the other thing is I like Trek much better than Specialized. Reason number 1 is Trek is American made Specialized is made in Taiwan. 2, Trek has a better life time warrantee, Specialized doesn't. 3, the 2300 is full carbon and Specialized is mixed alum., and carbon. The only thing is that Specialized is cheaper than Trek, but remember Trek, full carbon. Specialized alluminum and carbon. Trek American made or Specialized made in Taiwan.

Originally posted by devster
I'm currently trying to decide on which bike to buy. I'm looking at the Trek 2300, and the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Other than the relaxed geometry frame on the Specialized are there any major differences between the two bikes? Which one would you choose and why?

I've owned three Trek bikes. I've ridden them in Alaska (see image below) and California and found them to be outstanding. My first (1400) is now ridden by my daughter and has about 50,000 problem free miles on the frame. My second (ZX6000) is ridden by my wife when I can get her off-road, and my third (2100) was a write-off after a solo accident.

The only reason I don't ride a Trek now is that I wanted a custom Ti frame which, of course, Trek doesn't offer.

I don't know jack about Specialized, but I they'll have a hard time beating Trek on quality.

Originally posted by firegooroo
It all depends what you want the bike for. Is it for racing or for recreational riding. Then the other thing is I like Trek much better than Specialized. Reason number 1 is Trek is American made Specialized is made in Taiwan. 2, Trek has a better life time warrantee, Specialized doesn't. 3, the 2300 is full carbon and Specialized is mixed alum., and carbon. The only thing is that Specialized is cheaper than Trek, but remember Trek, full carbon. Specialized alluminum and carbon. Trek American made or Specialized made in Taiwan.

The Trek 2300 is made of their ZR 9000 Alloy with carbon seatstays. I'd say just try each out and base it off of that.

I love my Roubaix-- I have the full carbon version, though. Interesting analysis of the warantee--everyone that I know that has had a warantee concern with Specialized has been given a replacement frame-- often a better frame than they originally purchased and as late as 8 years after original purchase. That is one of the main reasons I went with Specialized.