Trek Pilot vs Dawes Audax

in message <[email protected]>, Jay
Hendry ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Thanks for those comments - yes it's the 9 speed not the 10 speed that
> the 2006 will apparently have. The weight being quoted at LBS for the
> Trek was 20lbs which is a bit lighter than the Dawes but add a 15 stone
> rider and their kit for the journey then I guess it's not a big
> difference?

In my experience, weight on the bike (whether it's actual structure or
luggage) does count for far more than the equivalent body weight. I
can't explain this, but it nevertheless is my experience. You get far
more benefit from shaving 1Kg off the weight of the bike than any logic
says you should.

;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
;; Then they came for the gypsies,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

> In my experience, weight on the bike (whether it's actual structure or
> luggage) does count for far more than the equivalent body weight. I
> can't explain this, but it nevertheless is my experience. You get far
> more benefit from shaving 1Kg off the weight of the bike than any logic
> says you should.

Psychological factor of it all disappearing at once, lighter bikes
generally having better + more efficient components, being better looked
after.

It's also struck me that the major difference could be weight off the
wheels. This would give better returns than that lost anywhere else 'cos
accelerating X kg of wheel is harder than X kg of bike frame or aero-belly.
And if some of that weight is lost thru having fewer spokes then we've got
better aerodynamics as well.

Jay Hendry wrote:
> Hi
>
> Firstly thanks to all those who responded to my posting a week or so ago on
> the Dawes Audax riding position.
>
> I've visited a couple of bike shops over the last two weekends and all seem
> to be suggesting more an aluminium frame/carbon fibre fork bike as being
> good for what I want to do. Get fit in 2006 and then LEJOG in 2007.

Personally, I'd consider a Klein Reve.

similar geometry to a Trek Pilot, rack and guard mounts. Absolutely
gorgeous finish. Bit left field if you care for rarer brands, but
superb bikes. They also have a small amount of elastomer rear
suspension. Available in your 58cm frame size. Similar price to the
Trek. Also Available with campy veloce as Reve X. The others are all
Shimano. May find last year's at discount. In fact...

<\url:
http://www.awcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s309p5757&PHPSESSID=9f228675d35e755e7ad9950147114f40

Trek own Klein, but didn't always.

BTW, I looked at the Pilots and the Klein, but in the end bought a
titanium Merlin race bike with Campag centaur, a large saddlebag and
SKS raceblade mudguards, so what do I know :)

regards
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply