Trek president talks about 'bicycle friendly world'

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Get a cuppa, kick back and watch this 23 minute presentation by John Burke, President of Trek US at the recent Taipei Cycle trade show. Huzzah, someone in the bicycle industry has developed a broader approach to merely selling bicycles.

John Burke: the Al Gore of the bike trade?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRiFylmiS0

" .. From http://www.quickrelease.tv At the Taipei Cycle trade show, Trek president John Burke gave an inspiring talk about why the bicycle industry should divert cash from marketing and R&D to help advocates and politicians create a 'bicycle friendly world' .."

More tasty podcasts on Carlton Reid's quick release.tv:
http://www.quickrelease.tv/

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Get a cuppa, kick back and watch this 23 minute presentation by John
> Burke, President of Trek US at the recent Taipei Cycle trade show.
> Huzzah, someone in the bicycle industry has developed a broader
> approach to merely selling bicycles.
>
> John Burke: the Al Gore of the bike trade?

Al Gore without the charisma if that's possible.

On May 9, 1:40 pm, [email protected] (Peter) wrote:
> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Get a cuppa, kick back and watch this 23 minute presentation by John
> > Burke, President of Trek US at the recent Taipei Cycle trade show.
> > Huzzah, someone in the bicycle industry has developed a broader
> > approach to merely selling bicycles.

> > John Burke: the Al Gore of the bike trade?

> Al Gore without the charisma if that's possible.

Yes, but let's not doubt that the first world is actively hostile to
bicycles. It's only when you spend time in other worlds that you
realise how deep that hostility is. What are we going to do about it?
He's making a start, more power to him.

On Wed, 9 May 2007 12:44:38 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> " .. From http://www.quickrelease.tv At the Taipei Cycle trade show,
> Trek president John Burke gave an inspiring talk about why the bicycle
> industry should divert cash from marketing and R&D to help advocates
> and politicians create a 'bicycle friendly world' .."

Apparently the market for conventional road bikes has been shrinking lately
(due to the retirement of Armstrong and woes of Landis, I would guess),
so he's decided to concentrate on a different potential market instead.

That business decision happens to coincide with the interests of
environmentalists and cycling advocates, but it's not "inspiring", and
it'll be reversed if the new products flop or more attractive markets
appear.

Michael Warner said:
On Wed, 9 May 2007 12:44:38 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> " .. From http://www.quickrelease.tv At the Taipei Cycle trade show,
> Trek president John Burke gave an inspiring talk about why the bicycle
> industry should divert cash from marketing and R&D to help advocates
> and politicians create a 'bicycle friendly world' .."

Apparently the market for conventional road bikes has been shrinking lately
(due to the retirement of Armstrong and woes of Landis, I would guess),
so he's decided to concentrate on a different potential market instead.

That business decision happens to coincide with the interests of
environmentalists and cycling advocates, but it's not "inspiring", and
it'll be reversed if the new products flop or more attractive markets
appear.

Trek's "Lime" is one of their thougts on getting more out and about, the cushy bike for those who dont want to race or train/commute, just tootle...

http://www2.trekbikes.com/lime/

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 9 May 2007 14:58:05 +0930
Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Apparently the market for conventional road bikes has been shrinking lately
> (due to the retirement of Armstrong and woes of Landis, I would guess),
> so he's decided to concentrate on a different potential market instead.

Hey, maybe they will go into partnership with Bacchetta or Rans or
Tour Easy and build a cheap 'bent...

I know Cannondale built a sortabent, but if Trek talked to people who
are building good bents they might be able to leverage their size and
build good ones themselves.

Zebee