Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Trek road geometry to hybrid?

Started by Tripster · · Last activity · 3 posts · 413 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 August 2005
Last activity
17 August 2005
Original author
Tripster
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
413
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I wanted to get my wife a used Trek 1000 and get upright mt bike style
    bars - make it into a hybrid. Easier for her back.

    Now, are there any issues geometry-wise with doing this? Am I gonna
    cause unusual strain because of the combo of road bike/drop bar
    geometry and the upright bar combo?

  2. Tripster said:

    I wanted to get my wife a used Trek 1000 and get upright mt bike style
    bars - make it into a hybrid. Easier for her back.

    Now, are there any issues geometry-wise with doing this? Am I gonna
    cause unusual strain because of the combo of road bike/drop bar
    geometry and the upright bar combo?


    Your bigger problem will be in the brake/shift levers and possible
    compatibility issues with derailleurs and brakes. I converted a 7500
    from hybrid to road/touring/cross bike and am happy with it, but the
    conversion wasn't inexpensive. Consult LBS about compatibility issues.
    Probably cheaper to buy hybrid to begin with.

  3. Tripster said:

    I wanted to get my wife a used Trek 1000 and get upright mt bike style
    bars - make it into a hybrid. Easier for her back.

    Now, are there any issues geometry-wise with doing this? Am I gonna
    cause unusual strain because of the combo of road bike/drop bar
    geometry and the upright bar combo?

    You need to pay attention to the length of the top tube and related,
    to the length of the stem that you use.

    I recently converted an even older Trek road frame to a more upright
    position. Instead of a full straight bar, I went with Nitto Moustache
    bars. I've found that the more upright posture really wants the bars to be
    closer to the saddle than I prefer with dropped bars. Two things to watch
    for in terms of the geometry...

    1) I think the regular Trek 1000 has a fairly normal (read: longer) top
    tube compared to other road bikes that are designed for an upright position
    like the 1000C or a touring design.

    2) You can udjust the reach to the bars somewhat with using a shorter reach
    stem. However, too little reach on the stem can make some bikes feel
    squirely. I tried a very short 65mm stem on mine and it was nutty.

    A few other loose thoughts....
    1) The Nitto Periscopa stem is designed for getting the bars up high and is
    relatively short in its reach at 85mm, iirc. Harris Cyclery has them I
    think.

    2) The 1000 series frames will limit you to 25 c tires. At least that is
    what I've found with my 1220 and my wife's 1100, which share the same basic
    frame.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.