Trek Verve 3, Shift 3 vs Giant Escape 1 or around $600

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by ogutan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ogutan

ogutan New Member

Hello, I'm new here and currently own no bikes. I am a mid-forty Asian guy living in the US and want to start cycling mainly for health and maybe commuting purposes (like 10 miles a day). The bikes I'm considering are "Trek Verve 3" "Shift 3" and "Giant Escape 1." What are the major differences, pros and cons among them? Any other bike recommended around $600-700, familiars, experts and actual owners? Thank you.

Tags:

2. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Trek's Verve and Shift are comfort-oriented hybrids. The Shift has 26" x 2" wheels and a slightly "back seat" riding position which makes it very stable and comfort-oriented. The Verve has 700c x 38mm wheels that are larger in diameter and narrower, and a more upright riding position. This reduces rolling resistance and makes the bike a bit zippier. I'm sure you'd find both bikes quite comfortable but rather sluggish for fitness riding and a 10-mile commute.

The Giant Escape is a fitness- or performance-oriented hybrid. If you're looking at these, you should also be looking at Trek's FX series. These bikes have a firmer ride, sporty handling, and a take a more athletic riding position. Unless you're really unsteady on two wheels, this is the kind of bike I'd recommend to someone who has a 10-mile commute. This is the kind of bike I anticipate riding when I turn 90 and my bones are too creaky to handle a racing bike.

All of these bikes come in different levels of equipage. Choose the level that suits your budget.