Trek vs. Giant

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Weezerbot, Aug 19, 2003.

?

Trek vs. Giant Roadbike

1. Trek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Giant

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Weezerbot

Weezerbot New Member

Help! Trek 1500 or Giant OCR? Or another bike all together??Must stay under $1000!!

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

Unless something has changed in Trek's lineup recently, the 1500 is going to be superior to any Giant OCR (and the pricing is going to look quite different for each..)

Trek 1500 = low-end Al frame, Ultegra

Giant OCR = low-end Al frame, Sora (OCR3)/Tiagra (OCR2)/105 (OCR1)

3. micman75

micman75 New Member

I have an OCR 3 and love it!, got it for 900 bucks. I don't think you can get a trek for that price, they are usually 1300 up... So if you wanna stay under a gran, go for Giant.

4. massagetodd

massagetodd New Member

I think your right, Giant for price and quality is the way to go!
    I just bought an OCR 2 as well for $800, find a Trek for that. Doubt it!

5. janice

janice New Member

Cannondale baby. I have the R600 and love it.

6. micman75

micman75 New Member

OCR 2 for 800bucks? surely it must be second hand...

7. Cycling expert

Cycling expert New Member

i'v got a colnago specially brought in from belgium, $2200, but totally worth it

8. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

Prices vary all over the price. I got my NEW, but leftover Giant OCR2 $660 US and configured as shown on the Giant web site (not the spring collection) In Sacramento California the Trek with equivalent components was $200 more expensive. I shopped around at almost every bike shop within 20 miles radius of me.

I did get a proffessional fitting at a different bike shop than the one I bought the bike at. There I got a shorter stem. Still, cheaper than an equivalent Trek. My opinion is go with the cheaper bike, all other things equal. Properly fit, the Giant works fine for me.

9. sathomasga

sathomasga New Member

Giant manufactures aluminum frames for Trek, so the frame will be a Giant in either case. If I were choosing between the two, I'd focus on components. Should be an easy choice if, for example, one has Sora and the other has 105s.

10. Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker New Member

What does Lance ride? Which race does Lance occasionally win on that bike? O.K. so Giant make the low-end TREK alu frames, they also make pretty much everybody elses low-end alu frames, but they don't design them, the geometry is TREK, a low-end TREK frame is not just a Giant frame with different decals, I have to say that is a really dumb attitude to take. Also consider how much more money goes to the oppressive Communist Chinese regime when you buy a Giant. Remember Tibet! TREK bikes are assembled in the U.S.A. by people who can speak freely and vote for who they want, that has to be worth a few extra bucks even if nothing else is.

11. Weezerbot

Weezerbot New Member

Good answer!! By the way, I bought the Trek and I am in love!!:D

Weez

12. psycho-

psycho- New Member

Last time I checked, Giant was started in Taiwan :p

THey didn't enter the market until like 1991 and operate until the mid 90s.

Just to clear things up, as Taiwanese people are very sensitive about being called "part of china" :D

CIA world factbook:

BTW, I ride a cannondale :p

13. Paul J

Paul J New Member

Is this poll for real. It seems pretty onesided to me. How could 100% of the votes go to Trek?

If so, then I wonder if it has something to do with the compact design frame. Seems to me that alot of manufacturers are turning to the compact design because it minimises their inventory therefore reduce production costs. That in itself would be the only reason needed for any large company these days to change a design. And any advantage to the end consumer would only be a marketing tool and offer no real advantage at all.

It just seems to me that the philosophy of "one size fits all" has always been a cheap cop out. Now I own a Giant compact frame and it has taken almost two years to finally get comfortable on it through ongoing changes and miles and miles of riding. The persistance has paid off and I enjoy many long rides on this bike. I also have a locally built custom made job which required absolutely no stuffing around. I ride this one regularly too. Thats just my experience.

With all that however I still can't believe that this poll result is for real as I have heard many good things about Giant also and surely some people must have voted for them.

14. bikecopjoe

bikecopjoe New Member

Comparing price and quality of componentry. Giant has the advantage. Trek has you paying for their name. I have priced both here where I live. The Giant is consistently 15% - 20% lower.
    For price alone; Giant. For name recognition; Trek. With a $1,000.00 limit in spending; Giant.

15. vadimivich

vadimivich New Member

Holy Christ - buying Giant made frames does more to fight Communist China than buying "Made in the USA" stuff does - hell, we keep them in Most Favored Nation Status. Are people truly this ignorant about world affairs and make buying decisions off of them?

(p.s - plenty of bike races are won by ONCE on Giant frames, I'm sure Lance would win a Tour on one without much trouble)

16. rek

rek New Member

How much is a Giant TCR-framed bike in your neck of the woods? These are Giant's step up from the OCR series..

17. zippy

zippy New Member

Yes you are helping pay USPS salary when buying Trek so you should save a few $$$ on a Giant. I have a Giant TCR carbon frame and love it. My compact frame fits great and rides good.
    And you know everyone has a Trek, may as well go for the GEE-on-ta.

18. kerank

kerank New Member

Personally, I prefer a compact frame. Trek is over-priced where I am also. Between the two, my vote would be for the Giant.

Although, I think the Specialized Allez Elite is much better than both ($1050 where I am). Ok, so it's $50 over your limit, but it is more than worth it!

19. bikecopjoe

bikecopjoe New Member

I own three (3) Treks myself but the bike shop I do business with quit selling Trek and started selling Giant. So I bought a Giant TCR also. Now I look at my Treks and wonder why I spent the money. Besides, the compact frame is much more ridable. I'm here in Houston, Texas and "Lance" lives in Austin. So we have to ride something different just to let him know we're different. (Just think, Lance. You cudda had a Giant!")

20. pcrescenti

pcrescenti New Member

Just saw a 2003 Giant at my local bike shop. Brand new for $680.00. I am new to biking as well....

Sounds like a good deal...any thoughts?