Trek vs LeMond Geometry

djwhyte

Aug 14, 2006
As I mentioned in this old thread, I went to try a Trek 1500 on Saturday but after being measured the LBS told me I had a shorter torso when compared to my legs and I would be better suited to the LeMond geometry. I am 6'3" in height.

After doing some research, it seems the LeMonds have a much longer effective top-tube, which makes me wonder why these bikes are better suited to shorter torsoed people and the only think I can think of is that the handlebars seem a lot higher compared to Trek. The two attached pictures show this.

http://www.cycling.net.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=6532&stc=1

http://www.cycling.net.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=6533&stc=1

I know in the other thread others stated that they also don't understand why the LBS suggested the LeMond, but I started my own thread with a more relevant title.

Is it common for shorter bodied people to ride LeMonds and if so, what is the real rationale for that?

Cheers,
Whytey

Just as important as the torso length is the reach. People with long legs usually also have long arms in proportion to their height. I am 6'0" with 30" inseam and 32" sleeves (both short for my height). I would have thought that with my long torso, I would need a longer effective top tube, but my short arms more than compensated for my long torso. In fact, I required a shorter stem on both the Trek Pilot and Specialized Roubaix. The Trek 5000, Felt f5C, Specialized Allez and Specialized Tarmac were not good options for me at all.

It is logical to assume that your long arms could more than compensate for your short torso.

For those that might be using this thread for future reference or might otherwise be interested, I found some information that is quite releiving about why a LeMond would be good for my body.

Some thoughts on LeMond sizing: LeMond bikes are not sized according to the industry standard. LeMond bikes are measured Center to Center, almost all other brands are sized Center to Top. This means a 53 cm LeMond Chambery is within 2 millimeters (total seat tube length measured from center of bottom bracket to top of seat collar) of a Bianchi Alloro in 55cm. The primary dimensional difference between the bikes is the top tube length. The 53cm (C. to C.) Lemond had a top tube that is 54.5cm. long. The bike measures every bit of 56cm. center to top of seat tube (and LeMond calls it a 53cm!). Top tube length on the 55cm. (C. to T.) Bianchi Alloro is 55cm. This means LeMond top tube lengths are shorter than Bianchi and most other brands, but the same as Cannondale. LeMond bikes tend to fit people with an average relationship of torso length to leg length. If you have long legs and a short torso (most females) the LeMonds are a good choice. If you have a long torso it will be a matter of using a longer stem.

This information taken from http://bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/lemond.shtml

So I guess it is right that the LeMonds suit short bodies.

I might just be able to sleep OK tonight now :)

RickF said:
It is logical to assume that your long arms could more than compensate for your short torso.
That's true, I hadn't taken my arm lenght into consideration.

I guess I am just a bit twitchy about putting my hard earned money down on a bike. It is my first road-bike, which makes me worry about what the LBS salesman is saying to me. It could be just salesman talk and I wouldn't know the difference, though this LBS does seem to have a good reputation and did spend quite some time and effort on me on Saturday.

Thanks for the reply :)

djwhyte said:
That's true, I hadn't taken my arm lenght into consideration.

I guess I am just a bit twitchy about putting my hard earned money down on a bike. It is my first road-bike, which makes me worry about what the LBS salesman is saying to me. It could be just salesman talk and I wouldn't know the difference, though this LBS does seem to have a good reputation and did spend quite some time and effort on me on Saturday.

Thanks for the reply :)
Have you tried other shops and different brands for a comparison?

Some points to consider: Frame geometry is only one aspect. A good LBS will be able to fit you regardless of sloping vs. horizontal top tube. But what quality derailleurs, wheels, shifters, etc. are you getting at the price point at which you are looking? I suggest you test ride the bikes, because it will come down to how you feel on the bike, and how it handles underneath you. Finally, I'd like to point out that LeMond is a subsidiary of Trek.

Mad-One said:
Have you tried other shops and different brands for a comparison?
Only a Giant TCR1, which was OK, but I think that bike store was merely selling me the size he had in stock.

I wanted to give a Scott S10 a go, but there are none in my size and I will have to wait for the 2007 models to come out.