Trek Vs. Orbea

razor_USMC

Mar 30, 2004
Greetings all,

I have been researching road bikes for a while and am finally narrowing my search. I am basically looking at the Orbea Mitis 3 vs. The Trek 2300. Both are aluminum with carbon fiber fork and seatstays and seatposts. The Wheelsets and components are pretty equal in quality in my opinion. The Trek is full Ultegra, and the Orbea is Campy. Both Mfg. warranties are about equal.

(I know components are a matter of taste so please do not give your opinion based on Shimano vs. Campy) I am currently using Shimano Sora so ANYTHING is a huge step-up.

Here is the predicament I'm in. The Trek 2300 is about $2000 and the Orbea is about $2500-2600. I have heard horror stories about Trek paintjobs, and there are a plethora of stickers everywhere on the Trek that make it look tacky in my opinion. I do know that there are different "grades" of aluminum and carbon fiber. So, in a nutshell, here's the question.

Even though aesthetically the Orbea blows the Trek out of the water IMO, is the Orbea built significantly better, or made with significantly better materials to warrant the extra $500-600 dollars, and wait to save up more money?

Thanks in advance for your well-thought out responses.

razor_USMC said:
Greetings all,

I have been researching road bikes for a while and am finally narrowing my search. I am basically looking at the Orbea Mitis 3 vs. The Trek 2300. Both are aluminum with carbon fiber fork and seatstays and seatposts. The Wheelsets and components are pretty equal in quality in my opinion. The Trek is full Ultegra, and the Orbea is Campy. Both Mfg. warranties are about equal.

(I know components are a matter of taste so please do not give your opinion based on Shimano vs. Campy) I am currently using Shimano Sora so ANYTHING is a huge step-up.

Here is the predicament I'm in. The Trek 2300 is about $2000 and the Orbea is about $2500-2600. I have heard horror stories about Trek paintjobs, and there are a plethora of stickers everywhere on the Trek that make it look tacky in my opinion. I do know that there are different "grades" of aluminum and carbon fiber. So, in a nutshell, here's the question.

Even though aesthetically the Orbea blows the Trek out of the water IMO, is the Orbea built significantly better, or made with significantly better materials to warrant the extra $500-600 dollars, and wait to save up more money?

Dear Razor

I have never rode the Trek 2300, but I have a Orbea Lobular with DA Compo and love it. I think both bike are great, but everyone has a Trek because it USA made. But the Basque bike have a life time warrenty on the frame. The ride is out of the world with the combination aluminum and carbon. The weight is a hill climbers dream

razor_USMC said:
Greetings all,

I would go with the Orbea. Their build quality is second to none, and the ride quality is buttery shmooth

razor_USMC said:
No!...............

I'd say the Trek 2300 is a better buy, just looking at value for $$$. And, you might be able to find it for less than $2K if you shop dealers late in the season.

I test rode the 2300 last fall, and thought it was a very smooth ride. But, also don't care for the graphics and "Trek" decals all over the bike.

A couple I ride with have Orbea's, and are very happy with them. They ordered them as frames, and had the local dealer build. If you want to select your build kit, that could be another advantage for Orbea

razor_USMC said:
Quite simply, no. If a strict dollar-to-quality value ratio was all you were trying to maximize, there'd be little or no reason to select the Orbea over the Trek. There might be a craftsmanship element to Orbea's frames which earns fan loyalty, but if so, it's probably not quantifiable in terms of durability or performance. Ride quality may differ between the two, but that's a subjective element you'll have to discover yourself through test rides -- one man's stretch limo is another's Suzuki Samurai.

That said, there's a really important lesson for anyone in search of a new bike to consider: never buy a model that doesn't excite you. There's a whole world of different rides out there, with all sorts of different character between them -- there's the European classic, the Japanese steel, the boutique American titanium, the handmade French, the modern aluminum race rocket, the custom molded carbon wonder, the multi-material exotica, the pro replica, the unassuming tried-and-true, and the one-of-a-kind gem. Buy the one you're not jazzed over, all you just might regret it more than you think. A loved bike is a frequently used bike.

Then again, $600 is a lot of money.

lokstah said:
Quite simply, no. If a strict dollar-to-quality value ratio was all you were trying to maximize, there'd be little or no reason to select the Orbea over the Trek. There might be a craftsmanship element to Orbea's frames which earns fan loyalty, but if so, it's probably not quantifiable in terms of durability or performance. Ride quality may differ between the two, but that's a subjective element you'll have to discover yourself through test rides -- one man's stretch limo is another's Suzuki Samurai.

That said, there's a really important lesson for anyone in search of a new bike to consider: never buy a model that doesn't excite you. There's a whole world of different rides out there, with all sorts of different character between them -- there's the European classic, the Japanese steel, the boutique American titanium, the handmade French, the modern aluminum race rocket, the custom molded carbon wonder, the multi-material exotica, the pro replica, the unassuming tried-and-true, and the one-of-a-kind gem. Buy the one you're not jazzed over, all you just might regret it more than you think. A loved bike is a frequently used bike.

Then again, $600 is a lot of money.
Agree with Lokstah....you should get the bike that excites you. Don't just buy one that some magazine, LBS or someone online said was the best deal.

But, if cost matters, $600 can buy good shoes plus keep you in tires, Power Bars and entry fees for a couple of seasons.

For what it is worth, I just bought a 2004 model Trek 2100 for $950 new at my local dealer. They were selling off the 2004's to make room for the new 2005's. I don't recall the price of the 2300's but I think that they were around $1500.

Look around right now. You may be able to find a good deal on a 2300.

you can ask your bike shop to switch the component group to shimano and drop the price down. I was looking the madone vs orca, and i was going to have them put shimano groupo on there and drop the price quite a bit. I ended up on the madone.

Good point, but, if I am going to get a European bike, I thought the European gruppo would be kinda nice and sexier looking too. Just started looking at the Giant TCR Composite 1 and it is now in the running.

This is my first message on this forum

T bought the 2004 Trek 2300 in red a couple of weeks ago and i love it I have to admit ive never tried the orbea but this thing is so fast
Id think about what you want from the bike before you decide and not what other people might think

Andre Barnes

Guernsey CI UK

such a tough call. i like full carbon bike over aluminum/carbon mix. carbon offers a much nicer ride. I have road the giant during my tests ride in my search for a full carbon bike, and it was a very sweet ride. Now i would ride each of those bikes if u have the option to do so all in one day. narrow it down to two and reride them on another day but for longer times on different types of roads and hills. personally trek and orbea are almost identical as far as quality, with giant u get more bang for your dollar but it is a compact frame. I personally dont like to ride compact frames, but i was surprized at the giants quality of ride. remember mate when test riding dont just go on the routes they tell u to go and make sure that u ride both bikes on similiar types of road, making sure to include hills,smooth roads, adn rough roads. good hunting.

oh yeah the other reason i went with trek, was in my area you cant find a giant dealer that is a quality bike shop and mechanics that i can rely on.

quick discloser: " I am a novice "

oh and one more thing. "semper FI, f@#k the other guy"

OOOH RAH! C1/3 spearpoint of the pacific, from land sea and air, we do more with less!

Ooh rah back at you. Primary Marksmanship Instructor and Matches shooter. Miss the guys, not the B.S. Take care.

Check out the Trek 5000 & 5200. Full carbon frame. Price wise they should be right in between the two bikes your contemplating.

I set out to buy a 2200 but none in my frame size. I test rode a 2300 & 5000, the smoothness of the 5000 won out. I have no regrets.:)

Good Luck