Trek vs Schwinn

Dish

Guest
Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Dishant

On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
> $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...
>
> being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
> as an entry level bike....
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Dishant

Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
company

On Mar 13, 9:52 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
> > $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

> > being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
> > as an entry level bike....

> > Any suggestions??

> > Dishant

> Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
> less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
> company

yes they both are from bike shops..

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
>> $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...
>>
>> being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
>> as an entry level bike....
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> Dishant

> Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
> less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
> company

I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
service etc, etc, etc.

Ken

On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
> I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
> service etc, etc, etc.

While not a Trek fan, I have to back this up. They're still putting
out better than Schwinn, unless you can come across NOS from many
years ago, before schwinn went "downhill" shall we say.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
>> service etc, etc, etc.

> While not a Trek fan, I have to back this up. They're still putting
> out better than Schwinn, unless you can come across NOS from many
> years ago, before schwinn went "downhill" shall we say.

Well you have to go to the WAY back machine to find something good by
Schwinn. I don't own a Trek, but have ridden a few and find them to be
good rides for the price. That being said I LOVE my Fuji. And would buy
another one when the time arises.

Ken

"Dish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
> $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...
>
> being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
> as an entry level bike....
>
> Any suggestions??

Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name to a
Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality bikes.
I'd go with Trek.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Mar 14, 10:23 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi,

> > After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
> > $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

> > being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
> > as an entry level bike....

> > Any suggestions??

> Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name to a
> Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality bikes.
> I'd go with Trek.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Thanks everyone... That was really helpful...

Cheers..

> Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
> less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
> company

Gee, taking advantage of me being away (at the DC Bike Summit) so you can
say things about Trek???!!! :>)

Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick Andrade
(Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
congressional offices tomorrow.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
>> $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...
>>
>> being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
>> as an entry level bike....
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> Dishant

> Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
> less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
> company

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
>> service etc, etc, etc.

> While not a Trek fan, I have to back this up. They're still putting
> out better than Schwinn, unless you can come across NOS from many
> years ago, before schwinn went "downhill" shall we say.

Yep. Same here. Schwinn got bought out by Pacific Cycles a while back and
can be had in Wal-Marts. I do have a late 80s Schwinn Paramount (Waterford)
I love dearly and a Schwinn Mesa II Reynolds 520 MTB I beat around on, but
these were pre-Pacific Schwinns.

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:43:55 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
> Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
> number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick Andrade
> (Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
> presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
> congressional offices tomorrow.

Don't companies and people who profit from the manufacture and sale of
bikes get accused of lobbying for better cycling facilities for personal
gain?

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:23:10 +1030, Michael Warner <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:43:55 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
>> Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
>> Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
>> number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick Andrade
>> (Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
>> presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
>> congressional offices tomorrow.

>Don't companies and people who profit from the manufacture and sale of
>bikes get accused of lobbying for better cycling facilities for personal
>gain?

Well yes, and your point is?

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:40:18 GMT, John Everett wrote:

>>Don't companies and people who profit from the manufacture and sale of
>>bikes get accused of lobbying for better cycling facilities for personal
>>gain?

> Well yes, and your point is?

That generally people without a profit motive are taken more seriously.

>> Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
>> Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
>> number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick
>> Andrade
>> (Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
>> presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
>> congressional offices tomorrow.

> Don't companies and people who profit from the manufacture and sale of
> bikes get accused of lobbying for better cycling facilities for personal
> gain?

Absolutely! But I'd make a case that selfish motivation is the best, because
you can rely on it over time. Still, you have to consider that some of us
actually chose to work in the cycling industry because we love bikes, and
wouldn't be happy doing anything else. Either that or we tried everything
else and bicycles were the only thing we could fool people into thinking we
were competent with.

In all seriousness, there are worse ways to make a living than doing
something you really believe in and enjoy.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

>>> Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
>>> Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
>>> number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick
>>> Andrade
>>> (Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
>>> presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
>>> congressional offices tomorrow.

>> Don't companies and people who profit from the manufacture and sale of
>> bikes get accused of lobbying for better cycling facilities for personal
>> gain?

> Absolutely! But I'd make a case that selfish motivation is the best,
> because you can rely on it over time. Still, you have to consider that
> some of us actually chose to work in the cycling industry because we love
> bikes, and wouldn't be happy doing anything else. Either that or we tried
> everything else and bicycles were the only thing we could fool people into
> thinking we were competent with.
>
> In all seriousness, there are worse ways to make a living than doing
> something you really believe in and enjoy.

Well said. I do the Low Speed Electric Bicycles. Am I ever going to get
rich doing it? Probably not. A profit to buy a pizza once inawhile would
be nice but not expected. Obviously, I do do something else to make a
living and do the LSEB for hobby. Although I wouldn't complain if it became
a large part of my income but it's not necessary.

I still believe that people with knew and foot injuries shouldn't give up
biking. There is a way but it appears the bicycle "Purists" don't wish to
share. The next time I am involved in a high speed chase and evasion with a
cop that wants to ticket me for my tail light being out (O.J. was a maniac
at 40 mph) I will just remember this.

It has removed 5163 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

> On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
>> $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...
>>
>> being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
>> as an entry level bike....
>>
>> Any suggestions??
>>
>> Dishant

> Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
> less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
> company

I looked a Trek and was impresses. I also looked at the price and wasn't so
favorably impressed. I also looked at Giants and the price still did not
impress me. I bought a Schwinn because the bike wasn't that impressive (it
just works) but the price was.

On Mar 14, 10:01 am, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 10:23 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Hi,

> > > After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
> > > $309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

> > > being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
> > > as an entry level bike....

> > > Any suggestions??

> > Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name to a
> > Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality bikes.
> > I'd go with Trek.

> > --
> > Warm Regards,

> > Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> > See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

> Thanks everyone... That was really helpful...
>
> Cheers..

Schwinn sold to the chinese? Try again.
Bought by Scott, then Pacific, then Pacific was bought by a CANADIAN
company, Dorel.

Schwinns made is China VS Treks made in China.
Tough call. Not.
The real decider is where to buy. A decent shop will properly
assemble & set the bike up and adjust it to fit you. A decent shop
will service it and cover warrenty issues. This is really helpful for
the newbies and worth the extra over an ebay or boxmart buy.

Schwinn does sell different quality levels of bikes. from $49 at a
boxmart to $4000 for a high end racing bike. Like any other bikes,
you get what you pay for.
Next time you are in a Trek dealer, take a closer look at the "made in
china" sticker on the head tube of nearly every bike under $1000.

If you want a 'real' Schwinn, check out Waterford, owned by Richard
Schwinn, the desendent of the Schwinn founder. Waterford is the
former Schwinn Paramount production facility in Wisconsin.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mar 14, 10:01 am, "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 10:23 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > "Dish" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> >news:[email protected]...

>> > Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name
>> > to a
>> > Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality
>> > bikes.
>> > I'd go with Trek.

>> > --
>> > Warm Regards,

>> > Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
>> > See the books I've set free
>> > at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

>> Thanks everyone... That was really helpful...
>>
>> Cheers..

> Schwinn sold to the chinese? Try again.
> Bought by Scott, then Pacific, then Pacific was bought by a CANADIAN
> company, Dorel.
>
> Schwinns made is China VS Treks made in China.
> Tough call. Not.
> The real decider is where to buy. A decent shop will properly
> assemble & set the bike up and adjust it to fit you. A decent shop
> will service it and cover warrenty issues. This is really helpful for
> the newbies and worth the extra over an ebay or boxmart buy.
>
> Schwinn does sell different quality levels of bikes. from $49 at a
> boxmart to $4000 for a high end racing bike. Like any other bikes,
> you get what you pay for.
> Next time you are in a Trek dealer, take a closer look at the "made in
> china" sticker on the head tube of nearly every bike under $1000.
>
> If you want a 'real' Schwinn, check out Waterford, owned by Richard
> Schwinn, the desendent of the Schwinn founder. Waterford is the
> former Schwinn Paramount production facility in Wisconsin.

My Schwinn was made in China. Prior to purchase, listed the features I
required since it was being made into a Low Speed Electric Bicycle.

1. Shamano Hardware both brakes and derailers or the equivalent.

Trek: From 600 down had the same equipment
Schwinn: Starting at 139.95 to 600 down had the same
equipment
Giant From 600 down had the same equipment
All could be upgraded easily to the more expensive hardware
easily and cheaply

2. Alloy Frame (not Aluminum)

Trek, Giant and Schwinn all had this including a steel alloy
frame that I was looking for. Schwinn was normally 50 to 100 bucks cheaper
with the same basic frame.

3. Steel Forks

All three had that available. The higher end of all three had
carbon fiber which the front electric hub would eat alive quickly

4 Hardtail.

All 3 had that in the same basic price range. Schwinn was
normall 50 to 100 bucks cheaper. A Softail or Suspension rear suspension
gets eaten alive with the extra 20 lbs or so that has to be added over the
rear wheel on a carrier.

5 Prestige

Trek has the prestige as can be seen by the majority of the
postings. Giant is priced somewhere between a Trek and a Schwinn but seems
to have less of a prestige than Trek but Giant is still a danged good bike.
Schwinn seems to lack the prestige but buck for buck you still get a good
bike.

6. Made in China

Trek: Made in China
Giant: Made in China
Schwinn: Made in China

A friend of mine rides a Trek. We parked my FS 2.6 next to his and did a
comparison. His 600 buck bike had the same exact hardware on it with the
exception of his front forks that were made from carbon fiber. In my
application, the extra 400 bucks for carbon fiber would have meant that at
some time the front drive hub would either weaken the front forks from their
mounts (best case) or rip them out while operation (worst case).

The question remains, do you want functionality with a decent price or do
you want Prestige and functionality at a higher price.

It has removed 5171 spam emails to date.

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:27:05 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Absolutely! But I'd make a case that selfish motivation is the best, because
> you can rely on it over time. Still, you have to consider that some of us
> actually chose to work in the cycling industry because we love bikes, and
> wouldn't be happy doing anything else.

Of course. I apologize for the suggestion that it could be profitable for
anyone concerned :)

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:43:30 -0600, Daryl Hunt wrote:

> I still believe that people with knew and foot injuries shouldn't give up
> biking. There is a way but it appears the bicycle "Purists" don't wish to
> share.

Could you tell us more about this conspiracy?