Trek warranty claim and Bontrager wheels

reich17

Aug 4, 2004
Does anyone have experience getting warranty service/parts from Trek? How did it go? Also, part of the groove in the sides of my Bontrager 750 rims is gone. I'm under the impression this is a wear indicator and if it is worn to that point the wheel must be replaced. The bike is 6 months old with less than 1000 miles, I should get a new rim out of this, right?

Thanks

No you should be able to go a lot further than 1000 miles on rims. Some guys will cover this in a month so equipment has got to last longer than that.

Some companies just make that wear thing and it shows up immediately but you'll go through lots of sets of brake pads before you go through the rim. The other thing is could be is that you got a rock stuck in your pads and the rock gouges out a groove in the rim. Get the rock out of your pad but this doesn't make the rim dangerous to use or anything.

reich17 said:
Does anyone have experience getting warranty service/parts from Trek? How did it go? Also, part of the groove in the sides of my Bontrager 750 rims is gone. I'm under the impression this is a wear indicator and if it is worn to that point the wheel must be replaced. The bike is 6 months old with less than 1000 miles, I should get a new rim out of this, right?

Thanks

My Bontrager Race X Lite rear rim developed a crack 6 days before my 1 year warranty was up. Trek replaced the rim at no cost.