Trek Warranty Problems

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Strex, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Strex

    Strex Guest

    Has anyone experienced problems with Trek Australia ... and warrantys? I
    just bought a Trek 6500 MTB ..Two weeks ago ... Hooting around the bike
    paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection .. Hit
    the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    underneath me! So much so that I had to ring the wife to come pick me up!

    Gobsmacked I was .. I bought a decent strong MTB so that when I go off road
    I could give it a hard time ... I dont even get off road and the bike shits
    itself!

    So I go back to the shop where I purchased it in the Eastern Suburbs of
    Sydney .. (Great guys!) they tell me it will be covered under warranty. They
    show my wheel to Trek and Trek tell them sorry it is not a warranty issue.
    Now that's just crap ... Thankfully the guys at the shop believe in good
    customer service and they replace the wheel at their cost.

    I spent hours choosing a new MTB and settled with Trek based upon their
    reputation, product and quality ... Had I of known about their warranty and
    customer service .. I probably would have bought something else!!

    Strex

    Tags:

  2. bag_head

    bag_head Guest

    Strex wrote:
    > Has anyone experienced problems with Trek Australia ... and warrantys?
    > I just bought a Trek 6500 MTB ..Two weeks ago ... Hooting around the
    > bike paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection
    > .. Hit the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel
    > buckles underneath me! So much so that I had to ring the wife to come
    > pick me up!
    > Gobsmacked I was .. I bought a decent strong MTB so that when I go off
    > road I could give it a hard time ... I dont even get off road and the
    > bike ****s itself!
    > So I go back to the shop where I purchased it in the Eastern Suburbs of
    > Sydney .. (Great guys!) they tell me it will be covered under warranty.
    > They show my wheel to Trek and Trek tell them sorry it is not a warranty
    > issue. Now that's just crap ... Thankfully the guys at the shop believe
    > in good customer service and they replace the wheel at their cost.
    > I spent hours choosing a new MTB and settled with Trek based upon their
    > reputation, product and quality ... Had I of known about their warranty
    > and customer service .. I probably would have bought something else!!
    > Strex

    I bought a Trek 8500 3 years ago and I had problems with my back ri
    about every 6 months (ripping / cracking & eventually ripping tyres- 2
    Town & Country in 4 weeks). I only ever use the MTB to commute on (
    days / week), but I also heard the excuse If you use your MTB off roa
    the warranty is not valid - WTF

    Eventually, I got 3 new back wheels from Trek (under warranty) bu
    eventually I gave up and had a Velocity Cliffhanger built (from anthe
    LBS) with an XT hub - 12 months later and I've not had any problems
    Maybe my problem was more to do with the people building the bike rathe
    than 'Trek'

    -

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > I come to an intersection .. Hit the skids and next thing you know ..

    My brand
    > new back wheel buckles underneath me! So much so that I had to ring

    the wife
    > to come pick me up!

    I'm a little confused. How did the back wheel buckle
    when you used the brakes, but not while your weight
    was on it just riding along? When you brake, your
    weight moves forward, making the back lighter and
    putting more pressure on the front wheel..?

    confuzzed
    hippy

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    there is a thread about a very similar on scenario on cyclingplus.co.u
    (a week or 2 ago) that happened to a UK trek rider which should help yo

    same thing, but he got onto the international headquarters person wh
    set the local trek people straight and personally followed up to mak
    sure everything was o

    -

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > I'm a little confused. How did the back wheel buckle
    > when you used the brakes,

    Does sound weird. Unless it has disk brakes, in which case
    the torque from braking could break spokes.
    Rim brakes don't put much load on a wheel.
    Maybe wheel or brakes crooked??? sideways force??
    Did trek have some excuse? Bad assembly by shop?

  6. >>>>> "bag head" == bag head <bag_head> writes:

    Strex> I come to an intersection .. Hit the skids and next thing you
    Strex> know .. My brand new back wheel buckles underneath me! So
    Strex> much so that I had to ring the wife to come pick me up!

    bag head> I bought a Trek 8500 3 years ago and I had problems with
    bag head> my back rim about every 6 months (ripping / cracking &
    bag head> eventually ripping tyres- 2 x Town & Country in 4
    bag head> weeks).

    It must be something to do with the way Treks are built in general.
    Trek 1200 (road bike), I broke about 11 spokes on my rear wheel in 2
    months; ended up having the wheel rebuilt and haven't had a problem
    since 4 months down the track. Shame really as that's the only thing
    that's marred the bike in my eyes.

    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  7. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone experienced problems with Trek Australia ... and warrantys? I
    > just bought a Trek 6500 MTB ..Two weeks ago ... Hooting around the bike
    > paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection .. Hit
    > the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    > underneath me! So much so that I had to ring the wife to come pick me up!

    I snapped a trek 7000 frame once, I'd had the bike maybe two years. I just
    took it into Cecil Walkers who remembered selling it to me[1] and within two
    days trek freighted out a trek 8000 frame. I was quite happy.

    Wheels are a bit of a tough one to warranty claim, I reckon if there are no
    dings on it and it's fairly new you should have a legit claim. I've had
    lots of problems with machine built wheels that come on factory bikes.
    Mainly with continual spoke snapping. Sometimes a hand built wheel with
    good spokes is the only way to go.

    [1] When I bought the bike I made sure the warranty covered off road
    riding. They told me if it breaks it gets replaced, they kept their word.

  8. Strex

    Strex Guest

    Here's the scenario ...

    Hooting around the bike
    > paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection .. Hit
    > the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    > underneath me!

    When I hit the skids I turned .. Not with great force either .. I went from
    peddaling to turning left then braking sharpley ... Now if this was a thin
    road wheel I would have expected such .. But a new double walled MTB wheel
    ... What would happen if it was on dirt/ ... Probably snapped! This is BS!

    "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone experienced problems with Trek Australia ... and warrantys? I
    > just bought a Trek 6500 MTB ..Two weeks ago ... Hooting around the bike
    > paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection .. Hit
    > the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    > underneath me! So much so that I had to ring the wife to come pick me up!
    >
    > Gobsmacked I was .. I bought a decent strong MTB so that when I go off

    road
    > I could give it a hard time ... I dont even get off road and the bike

    shits
    > itself!
    >
    > So I go back to the shop where I purchased it in the Eastern Suburbs of
    > Sydney .. (Great guys!) they tell me it will be covered under warranty.

    They
    > show my wheel to Trek and Trek tell them sorry it is not a warranty issue.
    > Now that's just crap ... Thankfully the guys at the shop believe in good
    > customer service and they replace the wheel at their cost.
    >
    > I spent hours choosing a new MTB and settled with Trek based upon their
    > reputation, product and quality ... Had I of known about their warranty

    and
    > customer service .. I probably would have bought something else!!
    >
    > Strex

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection ..

    Hit
    > > the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    > > underneath me!

    > When I hit the skids I turned .. Not with great force either .. I went

    from
    > peddaling to turning left then braking sharpley ... Now if this was a thin
    > road wheel I would have expected such .. But a new double walled MTB wheel
    > .. What would happen if it was on dirt/ ... Probably snapped! This is BS!

    Ahh.. sideways forces... that sounds more like it! :)

    hippy

  10. Strex

    Strex Guest

    Hey Hippy its a [email protected]#$% MTB.. is it not designed to be riden hard!

    > "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > paths near Homebush the other morning .. I come to an intersection ..

    > Hit
    > > > the skids and next thing you know .. My brand new back wheel buckles
    > > > underneath me!

    > > When I hit the skids I turned .. Not with great force either .. I went

    > from
    > > peddaling to turning left then braking sharpley ... Now if this was a

    thin
    > > road wheel I would have expected such .. But a new double walled MTB

    wheel
    > > .. What would happen if it was on dirt/ ... Probably snapped! This is

    BS!

    > Ahh.. sideways forces... that sounds more like it! :)
    >
    > hippy

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Hey Hippy its a [email protected]#$% MTB.. is it not designed to be riden hard!

    Yeah, totally.. .I just didn't understand how the
    back wheel was destroyed just from braking.
    Now I do. Next time I test ride an mtb..
    sideways all the way baby!! :)

    hippy