Trek X500: took the plunge

FatherBob

May 12, 2005
I finally ordered a Trek X500 today, and am looking forward to it within the next guesstimated 6-8 weeks or so.

Although I've been riding an "indefinitely loaned" Trek mountain bike for a few years, thanks to a friend of mine, this will be the first exceptionally nice bike I've ever owned personally. It took some digging to research this puppy, because I can't find much posted on the web about it, but I feel certain I've made the right choice for me.

I was looking for a bike that would carry me and a good bit of gear over any distance I care to cover under a wide range of conditions. I kept looking at other bikes, but kept thinking of all the mods I'd have to make in order to wind up with what I really wanted.

It's taken me days to talk myself into paying this much for a bike, but I have a feeling this puppy will earn its keep. :)

Congratulations! This bike was my first choice when I started seriously shopping for a new one earlier this Spring. But unfortunately, it's not sold in Sweden so I'm settling for the 7500 FX (which I will pick up this afternoon!)

Happy trekking!

FatherBob said:
I finally ordered a Trek X500 today, and am looking forward to it within the next guesstimated 6-8 weeks or so.

Although I've been riding an "indefinitely loaned" Trek mountain bike for a few years, thanks to a friend of mine, this will be the first exceptionally nice bike I've ever owned personally. It took some digging to research this puppy, because I can't find much posted on the web about it, but I feel certain I've made the right choice for me.

I was looking for a bike that would carry me and a good bit of gear over any distance I care to cover under a wide range of conditions. I kept looking at other bikes, but kept thinking of all the mods I'd have to make in order to wind up with what I really wanted.

It's taken me days to talk myself into paying this much for a bike, but I have a feeling this puppy will earn its keep. :)

Shazzer said:
Congratulations! This bike was my first choice when I started seriously shopping for a new one earlier this Spring. But unfortunately, it's not sold in Sweden so I'm settling for the 7500 FX (which I will pick up this afternoon!)

Happy trekking!
Also a fine bike. Enjoy!

FatherBob said:

So did you get your X500 yet, I wanted to ask about the rear rack as to whether it's a special fit or if any old rear rack could replace it if per chance one needed a longer rack to stop heel scrape on pannier.

wrench said:
So did you get your X500 yet, I wanted to ask about the rear rack as to whether it's a special fit or if any old rear rack could replace it if per chance one needed a longer rack to stop heel scrape on pannier.
Alas, it hasn't arrived yet. I guess waiting 'til summer to put it on order wasn't my slickest move to date.

Once it does come in, however, I plan on taking up-close high-resolution pictures of it from a variety of angles and posting 'em on the web. Since there seems to be so little info about the bike on the web, I figure it's the least I can do.

FatherBob said:
Alas, it hasn't arrived yet. I guess waiting 'til summer to put it on order wasn't my slickest move to date.

Once it does come in, however, I plan on taking up-close high-resolution pictures of it from a variety of angles and posting 'em on the web. Since there seems to be so little info about the bike on the web, I figure it's the least I can do.
I have owned my Trek X500 since 1/2005 and cannot be happier. It is a sturdy and stable bike, able to carry my 275 lbs plus all the gear I would ever want to carry. The wheels alone are bombproof! The provided racks are great and I purchased a pair of Arkel pannier bags as well as an Arkel rear rack bag that work great on the racks. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your bike.

Unfortunately, I stopped by my LBS 2day to inquire about the bike's ETA and was informed after some investigation that the X500 is not only still on back-order but may not be continued as a product line into 2006. They began the process of trying to track me one down through a network of bike shops, but I went ahead and started looking into other options.

After probably an hour or so of discussion about the options and trying a few bikes on to see how they fit (and a million questions), we landed on a Trek 7500 FX with disc brakes. I feel confident it will make a worthy alternative to the X500 after I add on the pannier racks and other "necessities" (in my book).

FatherBob said:
Unfortunately, I stopped by my LBS 2day to inquire about the bike's ETA and was informed after some investigation that the X500 is not only still on back-order but may not be continued as a product line into 2006. They began the process of trying to track me one down through a network of bike shops, but I went ahead and started looking into other options.

After probably an hour or so of discussion about the options and trying a few bikes on to see how they fit (and a million questions), we landed on a Trek 7500 FX with disc brakes. I feel confident it will make a worthy alternative to the X500 after I add on the pannier racks and other "necessities" (in my book).
I'm curious as to what kind of rack you'll add, are there any regular touring type racks that'll work with your discs, or are you going to have to go with the "Old Man Mountain" style rack?

wrench said:
I'm curious as to what kind of rack you'll add, are there any regular touring type racks that'll work with your discs, or are you going to have to go with the "Old Man Mountain" style rack?
No idea at this point. One of the things I was looking forward to on the X500 was having them take the decision off my hands. heh

I may torment the guys at the LBS until they make a recommendation.

FatherBob said:
No idea at this point. One of the things I was looking forward to on the X500 was having them take the decision off my hands. heh

I may torment the guys at the LBS until they make a recommendation.
Another pssibility to consider is the IBEX Corrida Ultimate 6.6:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/COR-ULT-Details.html

I researched this bicycle and it seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. Having said that and playing devil's advocate, there's no LBS support and you do have to assemble the bike yourself. Trek makes great bicycles, and since I own two myself, it's hard to recommend anything else, but I thought you might want to see another viable option. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about your X500 woes.

Wallguy said:
Another pssibility to consider is the IBEX Corrida Ultimate 6.6:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/COR-ULT-Details.html

I researched this bicycle and it seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. Having said that and playing devil's advocate, there's no LBS support and you do have to assemble the bike yourself. Trek makes great bicycles, and since I own two myself, it's hard to recommend anything else, but I thought you might want to see another viable option. Good luck, and I'm sorry to hear about your X500 woes.
That also looks like a fine bike, similar in some of the most important ways.

I feel good about the 7500 FX disc after spending so much time working with Tom at the LBS. His knowledge of bikes is stunningly impressive, and his patience with my many, many questions equally so.

Looks like Trek has crammed some outstanding components for the money onto the 7500. And we've taken the time to get me matched up with a great fit, both in size and in selecting a bike well-suited to my cycling plans.

I'll have to add on things like fenders & panniers, but the geometry, gearing, and hydraulic braking all please me so far.

During the shopping process, while examining some of the various bike options, I made out lists like this one to help focus the process:

+ primarily for road use
+ no racing
+ some light off-road is an absolute must (if only to ride parallel to traffic on certain commute roads)
+ insanely hilly terrain in my neighborhood
+ need as much speed capacity as reasonably possible for certain road situations
+ some riding in traffic under extremely wet conditions
+ some day touring and light camping/weekend touring at the least
+ gotta be able to carry some "luggage" on it
+ must fit well
+ must be comfortable and durable for long rides exploring Mississippi Delta roads and other interesting places

FatherBob said:
That also looks like a fine bike, similar in some of the most important ways.

I feel good about the 7500 FX disc after spending so much time working with Tom at the LBS. His knowledge of bikes is stunningly impressive, and his patience with my many, many questions equally so.

Looks like Trek has crammed some outstanding components for the money onto the 7500. And we've taken the time to get me matched up with a great fit, both in size and in selecting a bike well-suited to my cycling plans.

I'll have to add on things like fenders & panniers, but the geometry, gearing, and hydraulic braking all please me so far.

During the shopping process, while examining some of the various bike options, I made out lists like this one to help focus the process:

+ primarily for road use
+ no racing
+ some light off-road is an absolute must (if only to ride parallel to traffic on certain commute roads)
+ insanely hilly terrain in my neighborhood
+ need as much speed capacity as reasonably possible for certain road situations
+ some riding in traffic under extremely wet conditions
+ some day touring and light camping/weekend touring at the least
+ gotta be able to carry some "luggage" on it
+ must fit well
+ must be comfortable and durable for long rides exploring Mississippi Delta roads and other interesting places
The 7500 FX Disc is awesome for sure. And there's nothing that can beat the expertise of a fine bicycle shop. I was told from when I went shopping for my first bike that one doesn't shop for a bike, one shops for a bike shop. I didn't really understand just how important that advice was until AFTER the purchase. Sounds like you're well on your way to a most enjoyable bike buying experience - congrats and good luck.