Trek Y Foil 66

Odgaard

Nov 15, 2010
I am selling my pristine condition 1999 54cm Trek Y Foil 66, a true collectors item! It sat in the first owners garage unused until i bought it last year. He told me he put about 500 miles on it and i have ridden it a hand full of time around campus. I recently put new Shimano R500 wheels on them ($200 value). All original components which are Shimano Ultregra. The bike had just recently had a $100 tune up on it so it is ready to ride. After doing some Google searches on this bike, you will see how rare it is. Here is a quoted excerpt from a website: "Because this great machine has been discontinued! Briefly, the Y-Foil road bike was doomed to extinction when the UCI ruled that all bikes must have seat tubes, period. Didn't matter if it was for time trial or massed-start use...no longer allowed. Still legal for Tri use, and still a great bike for general road use (sport bike for centuries etc)...but a difficult bike to market, since one of its main intended usages was killed off. From the beginning, it was meant to be a conventional, but very aerodynamic, road bike...not a Tri-specific machine. It's appeal was to be as broad-based as possible and, as a relatively high-end bike, much of its acceptance was to come from the racing crowd, which has great influence on what the rest of us buy. Once it became useless to a good chunk of the racing crowd (due to the UCI ruling), it became something of an albatross from a marketing standpoint. Had it been done as a tri-specific bike with steep seat angle etc., I have a feeling it would have been hugely popular with that crowd. Tooling costs, however, are so high for a bike made like that (OCLV) that it wasn't something they could just snap their fingers and do, and the decision was made to pursuit a much-less-expensive aluminum tri bike (the Hilo series). Bye-bye Y-Foil...we'll certainly miss you. Clearly, this has been one of the great "crossover" bikes (dual-purpose standard road bike/Tri-bike) ever. If you're interested in one, you probably have very little time, as final production from TREK was in 1999." Asking price is $900 but willing to listen to offers. Prefer a local pick up so you can check out the bike before purchasing, shipping is at buyers expense as well as Paypal fee. Get your hands on a truly rare and beautiful bike. I will hate to see it go but I don't need 3 bikes. If you know someone who is intested please pass this on to them, I am trying to sell it quickly. Please email for better pictures or questions.
fb81e0b1.png
3bf3389b.png
ab16bbd5.png