trek y26 VS. IBEX ignition-1

AreSTG

Jul 2, 2006
hi,
first let me introduce myself. I come from the world of BMX and have barely mountain biked ever.

I am looking for a FS mountain bike that will not malfunction and break from normal use. By normal use i mean, im looking at bikes in the $400 range, and can't expect it to hold up under extrem conditions, however i dont want to deal with stupid things like rediculously poor quality parts that break under minor stress like climbing a really steep hill.

I'm in northern california and we have plenty of rocky foothills and pretty close by mountains as well. My friends go very regularly and i hope to get into the sport more and more and upgrade bikes later.

I am searching for my wife and I at the same time, assuming i can just buy the smallest frame for her and a medium for myself. I have narrowed my search down to these two bikes and am looking for any input anyone might have on either of them about personal experience either with the bike individually or the brand in general.

I have kind of a big concern with the bike being light(im used to a little bmx bike), but not if it sacrifices strength and im gunna crack the frame on a weak suspension that maxes out.

It looks to me that the IBEX comes with higher quality parts(i see it has disc brakes, and they advertise quick release wheels.. i have a small car). Also, the ibex has a tubular frame which, at this price range at least, apears to be the stronger choice. At the same time the Trek looks like it may be Very light, and if it is strong, i would really like that.

Thanks in advance for a newbie mountain biker and his wife, I hope i didnt go on too long, but i can only assume if you have the full scope of things, you can take into consideration my needs and preferances when u recomend one of these bikes for my wife and I.

Thanks, Tim