Trek520 Seatpost length

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have a friend who is looking at a Trek 520 17". The bike fits her as far as reach, but when she
    has her leg in the right extension, the seat post is too far out of the frame, about 1/2" past the
    minimum insertion line. We're worried that if she fits the 19" as far as seat post extension, the
    reach to the handlebars will be too far.

    Is it possible to get a longer seat post for this bike, so the seat can be raised higher than with
    the standard post? Is this safe, or not a good fix for the problem. Thanks.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Gary Muntz

    Gary Muntz Guest

    Hi, Mike --

    > Is it possible to get a longer seat post for this bike, so the seat can be raised higher than with
    > the standard post? Is this safe, or not a good fix for the problem. Thanks.

    That's just the right plan. I did it with my 520 a couple years ago, and have not had any problems.
    I used a mid-priced "Icon" post from Nashbar, but I don't think it's still carried there. Standard
    post size, standard solution to common problem. Good luck. -- Gary.

  3. If you check out the geometry for the 17 & 19 inch sizes, you'll find just about the only difference
    is in standover (and presumably handlebar) height. Both have the same seat tube angle, same headtube
    angle, but the 19 inch size is .2 inches (.5cm) longer across the top tube than the 17 inch. Not
    much different at all.

    I'm not at the shop so I don't have one to look at right now, but I'd say that handlebar height
    might be the main thing to consider if, in fact, the 19 inch allows a higher bar. Sometimes the
    only difference is in a sloping top tube, with the front end being the same height for two
    different sizes.

    But yes, you can get a longer seatpost for the smaller bike, and it's perfectly safe to do so.

    news:[email protected]...