Treking around Europe...Travel Buddy Wanted!

Peter Kelly

Nov 24, 2006
Hello,
I am from Meath, Ireland, and have been planning a cycling trip for the last few months travelling arounnd europe. I was originally planning to go for one month with my brother and another friend but they pulled out becauce my brother is going to africa for a year and my friend is in college and wants to work for the summer instead! I was the main person who wanted to go so i proceeded to buy a bike, tent and panniers so am ready to go as soon as i have a travel partner. If anybody is interested in filling either of there places feel free to send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Peter

If anybody has any travel experience in west europe please share some places not too miss! I intend to travel through France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Luxembourg, Holland and the UK...Thanks

Hi Peter, sounds like you have a great trip ahead:) Unfortunately, I'm tied down this summer, otherwise I'd have loved to join you! A friend and I did a bike tour of Europe in 2005, and I'd kill to be able to do it again... One day.

As for tips, here are a few, from my experience:
France - the Loire valley was very nice, pretty much along its entire length. What you dream about when you think about wine country. Small vinyards, small towns, a good number of old castles to explore if you're into that. Free degustations (wine tasting) were the cherry on the cake:) We bought local wines to support the local economy. That of course led to us drinking at least a bottle of wine, each, every night!
The Normandie region alog the D-day beaches has its own flavour, especially suited for bike touring. Very flat, and you can bike forever along flat roads by the shores. Famous for their horses, and their "calvados" liquor. Very rich in war history and a strong culture of remembrance. If you're into war history etc, make a point to visit the War Museum in Caen - by far superior to anything I've ever seen, possibly the best, most comprehensive war museum in the world (and I'm neither a history nor a war buff).

Italy - mmmm, Italy. One day soon I want to go back and bike through Italy and Switzerland again, as we had to rush it when we went. If you see no other place in Italy, make sure you at least see Cinque Terra. It's a national cultural and marine conservation area, and UNESCO site. Well worth it, you won't find any McDonalds in these unbelievable, ancient seaside villages. Park your bike for a couple of days, and walk between all five villages along the cliffside trail - totally worth it. Take your time, eat the local food. If you're into snorkelling, do this too - they don't call this a marine sanctuary for nothing! Pompeii, despite being a major tourist attraction, was really neat to see. If you get the chance, give yourself a day to explore it. Venice, of course, was something vastly different from any other place in Europe. Best time to see it is on a rainy day, when the masses of tourists are hiding in their hotel rooms. Keep in mind, you're not allowed to ride your bike in Venice - dismount and walk if you don't want to get a warning from the Venetian boat police:p

Switzerland - I left my heart in Gimmelwald. Yes, sounds mushy, but it's the bald truth. Find out where it is, and get there. I'll leave the researching work up to you, because only those who put the effort in deserve to discover Gimmelwald:)

Holland - as a bike tourist, you'll really enjoy the Texel Islands off the northern coast of the Netherlands. Some are devoted to sheep, others to grass and wild bulls. Cars are not allowed, and the islands are basically spits of sand. Island-hopping was an interesting experience, given the doubtful size of the tugboats they use to ferry people from Texel to Vlieland Island. Between Texel and Vlieland, Vlieland was my favourite.

I've got some photos from the trip on my site - take a look if you like. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Enjoy your planning, and know that I'm incredibly jealous of your coming adventure!
Cheers,
Petra