General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Trekking Inca Trail in 2005

Started by Col · · Last activity · 5 posts · 329 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 October 2004
Last activity
20 October 2004
Original author
Col
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,
    hope you don't mind me butting in but just wondering if anyone can give me
    any assistance, advice or whatever. I am hoping to trek the Inca Trail next
    September for The National Autistic Society and am looking for any advice,
    hints, tips, etc anyone can give me.

    I, also, need to know the areas that I can go walking in in England which
    have the altitude I need to get used to. Also, if there any any walkers in
    the Yorkshire area that meet up and walk together?

    As you can probably tell, this is a new venture for me and I need all the
    advice I can get. Anything gratefully appreciated.

    ta Colette x

  2. Quoted message said:

    I, also, need to know the areas that I can go walking in in England which
    have the altitude I need to get used to. Also, if there any any walkers in
    the Yorkshire area that meet up and walk together?

    As you can probably tell, this is a new venture for me and I need all the
    advice I can get. Anything gratefully appreciated.

    ta Colette x

    There is nothing in the UK that comes close to the altitude that you get on
    the Inca Trail... Generally, the level that altitude becomes an issue is
    about 10,000ft, or about 3300 metres. The highest in the UK is Ben Nevis
    which comes in at 4418ft, less than half that... Machu Picchu is up there at
    about 2700 metres (8858ft). If you start of in Cusco, you're looking at
    something a little higher (11,000ft, which might be a problem, but you
    should be given time to adjust...!)

    But don't be scared by that... Generally, if you are fit enough and can
    handle the ups and downs of hills, then the thing to think about is not so
    much the altitude, as whether you can keep walking for many hours per day...

    How many days are you looking at? If you're thinking of starting at about
    km.82 (quite popular, starting at Ollantaytambo), it's probably a four or
    five day walk to Machu Picchu? As long as you can keep walking up and down
    with a daysack on your back (between 35 and 40 litres), then you should be
    fine: there are plenty of walks in Wales, the Lakes and Scotland that will
    do that for you.

    The important thing is that you don't want to be doing just a single up and
    down for any training (although that is a good way to start), but some
    longer walks that take in a few tops to get you into the swing of things...

    Basically, if you can walk for up to eight hours up and down per day in the
    hills, you should be fine...

    There are loads of books in most walking type shops with guides to walks in
    the areas above. One really good publisher is Cicerone - great books:
    http://www.cicerone-guides.co.uk/acatalog/index.htm.

    Good luck with the trek - it should be fantastic!

    Gareth.

  3. Gareth Crawshaw typed:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I, also, need to know the areas that I can go walking in in England
    which have the altitude I need to get used to. Also, if there any
    any walkers in the Yorkshire area that meet up and walk together?

    As you can probably tell, this is a new venture for me and I need
    all the advice I can get. Anything gratefully appreciated.

    ta Colette x

    There is nothing in the UK that comes close to the altitude that you
    get on the Inca Trail... Generally, the level that altitude becomes
    an issue is about 10,000ft, or about 3300 metres. The highest in the
    UK is Ben Nevis which comes in at 4418ft, less than half that...
    Machu Picchu is up there at about 2700 metres (8858ft). If you start
    of in Cusco, you're looking at something a little higher (11,000ft,
    which might be a problem, but you should be given time to adjust...!)

    But don't be scared by that... Generally, if you are fit enough and
    can handle the ups and downs of hills, then the thing to think about
    is not so much the altitude, as whether you can keep walking for many
    hours per day...
    How many days are you looking at? If you're thinking of starting at
    about km.82 (quite popular, starting at Ollantaytambo), it's probably
    a four or five day walk to Machu Picchu? As long as you can keep
    walking up and down with a daysack on your back (between 35 and 40
    litres), then you should be fine: there are plenty of walks in Wales,
    the Lakes and Scotland that will do that for you.

    The important thing is that you don't want to be doing just a single
    up and down for any training (although that is a good way to start),
    but some longer walks that take in a few tops to get you into the
    swing of things...
    Basically, if you can walk for up to eight hours up and down per day
    in the hills, you should be fine...

    There are loads of books in most walking type shops with guides to
    walks in the areas above. One really good publisher is Cicerone -
    great books: http://www.cicerone-guides.co.uk/acatalog/index.htm.

    Good luck with the trek - it should be fantastic!

    Gareth.

    I echo Gareth's comments. I completed it three years ago without any
    problems. If you are generally fit and enjoy hill walking go there and make
    the most of a fantastic experience.

    I challenge you not to have a tear in your eye as you get your first view of
    Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate!

    Make sure you have the tissues ready!

    --
    Andy Crawford
    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

    Remove "my boots" to e-mail me

  4. Quoted message said:

    the areas that I can go walking in in England which have the altitude

    As Gareth has said nowhere in Britain comes close, Ben Nevis c1,400m ;
    on the regular route taken to MP, the highest pass is c4,700m

    Quoted message said:

    I need all the advice I can get. Anything gratefully appreciated.

    I did this the year of foot and mouth, when it had been years since I
    had walked and I had sat in front of a computer becoming unfit. When
    they opened Snowdon to the public, I went up it, did the same for four
    sundays on the run, then I went to the Lakes for two weekends.
    In the first few weeks I saw a very noticeable increase in my
    enjoyment, speed and fitness, then it started to trail off.
    My recommendation would be to get out into the Yorkshire hills (I
    assume thats where you are based) and walk them, you have got lots of
    time ahead to get fit (if you are not), I was NOT fit, on my first
    Snowdon walk my legs were shaking on the way down, (so maybe start on
    the lower hills and work up to higher things) next week I shaved an
    hour off the time it took me.

    I was planing to do MP, then onto Bolivia and carry my tent/bag/stove,
    this I did and enjoyed it, so you should be fine for MP, as you will
    have porters to carry the equipment, all you will need is some clothes
    and water (thats the way I assume these charity things go)

    I think charity walks take a diffrent route to the popular route that
    most take,
    but for me (on a popular route) the days were not long; it was 4 days,
    day 1 is a half-day after getting to the trail-head, maybe 3 hours
    walk; the last day is also a short day 2-21/2 beging pre-dawn for most
    people, you are at MP before sunrise. Just the middle two days are
    propper walking days and even then they were nowhere near 8 hour days,
    more like 5-6 hours. The second day is a long climb up to altitude,
    take it slow, and if you have done some UK mountain walks before going
    you should be fine.

    This is about as far from a "wilderness" experience as you will get in
    the mountains; but thats half the point, this is where a civilisation
    and mountains meet and manage to complement each other. enjoy the
    trip.

  5. In fact, there's not much point in getting used to the altitude somewhere
    else if it's not immediately before you go out as you lose altitude
    acclimatisation about as quickly as you gain it. Better to spend a week in
    Cuzco before the trek starts - there's plenty to see and do in the area.
    It's worth working on your aerobic fitness before you go, though.

    Adrian

    "Col" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,
    hope you don't mind me butting in but just wondering if anyone can give me
    any assistance, advice or whatever. I am hoping to trek the Inca Trail


    next

    Quoted message said:

    September for The National Autistic Society and am looking for any advice,
    hints, tips, etc anyone can give me.

    I, also, need to know the areas that I can go walking in in England which
    have the altitude I need to get used to. Also, if there any any walkers in
    the Yorkshire area that meet up and walk together?

    As you can probably tell, this is a new venture for me and I need all the
    advice I can get. Anything gratefully appreciated.

    ta Colette x

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.