Trek's Navigator 300 vs 500

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Guest

I went to a few dealers and tried many styles of bikes, and I have narrowed my choice down to
    two bikes,

the Trek Navigator 300 or Navigator 500 (I passed on the 400 due to not wanting the 7 speed internal
    hub setup)

Basically the price difference is about $200, and is not an issue, I realize more $$ means better
    quality parts (in most cases) yet I wanted some opinions based mainly on the durability of the
    following differences between these models due to the fact that I don't really know alot about the
    different options in terms of on hand use and experience and am a heavy rider just looking for the
    strongest components within these 2 choices...

The 300 has a RST CT COM TL Fork & The 500 has a RockShox GPS SERRA Fork

Cost wise the 500 is more with RockShox but are they more durable?

The 300 has a Matrix 750 Rim & The 500 has a Bontrager Corvair Rim

Again looking for input on these two rims, which (if either) is the most durable?

The 300 has a Shimano C203 48/38/28 Crankset & The 500 has a SRAM Dual Drive 33T Crankset

Yes again is either of these actually made stronger (more durable)...

I don't plan to off-road with it, yet I am a heavy rider so am looking for the choice of the bike
    with the parts that would handle a heavier guy with less potential of breaking parts often.

Thanks for any input,

Bill

Tags:

2. Gary Smiley

Gary Smiley Guest

If you're a heavy rider, get the one with the strongest-built wheels. In fact, go for 36 spokes (if
    possible).

Bill wrote:

> I went to a few dealers and tried many styles of bikes, and I have narrowed my choice down to
    > two bikes,
    >
    > the Trek Navigator 300 or Navigator 500 (I passed on the 400 due to not wanting the 7 speed
    > internal hub setup)
    >
    > Basically the price difference is about $200, and is not an issue, I realize more $$ means better
    > quality parts (in most cases) yet I wanted some opinions based mainly on the durability of the
    > following differences between these models due to the fact that I don't really know alot about the
    > different options in terms of on hand use and experience and am a heavy rider just looking for the
    > strongest components within these 2 choices...
    >
    > The 300 has a RST CT COM TL Fork & The 500 has a RockShox GPS SERRA Fork
    >
    > Cost wise the 500 is more with RockShox but are they more durable?
    >
    > The 300 has a Matrix 750 Rim & The 500 has a Bontrager Corvair Rim
    >
    > Again looking for input on these two rims, which (if either) is the most durable?
    >
    > The 300 has a Shimano C203 48/38/28 Crankset & The 500 has a SRAM Dual Drive 33T Crankset
    >
    > Yes again is either of these actually made stronger (more durable)...
    >
    > I don't plan to off-road with it, yet I am a heavy rider so am looking for the choice of the bike
    > with the parts that would handle a heavier guy with less potential of breaking parts often.
    >
    > Thanks for any input,
    >
    > Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.