Trek's Navigator 300 vs 500

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I went to a few dealers and tried many styles of bikes, and I have narrowed my choice down to
    two bikes,

    the Trek Navigator 300 or Navigator 500 (I passed on the 400 due to not wanting the 7 speed internal
    hub setup)

    Basically the price difference is about $200, and is not an issue, I realize more $$ means better
    quality parts (in most cases) yet I wanted some opinions based mainly on the durability of the
    following differences between these models due to the fact that I don't really know alot about the
    different options in terms of on hand use and experience and am a heavy rider just looking for the
    strongest components within these 2 choices...

    The 300 has a RST CT COM TL Fork & The 500 has a RockShox GPS SERRA Fork

    Cost wise the 500 is more with RockShox but are they more durable?

    The 300 has a Matrix 750 Rim & The 500 has a Bontrager Corvair Rim

    Again looking for input on these two rims, which (if either) is the most durable?

    The 300 has a Shimano C203 48/38/28 Crankset & The 500 has a SRAM Dual Drive 33T Crankset

    Yes again is either of these actually made stronger (more durable)...

    I don't plan to off-road with it, yet I am a heavy rider so am looking for the choice of the bike
    with the parts that would handle a heavier guy with less potential of breaking parts often.

    Thanks for any input,

    Bill

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    If you're a heavy rider, get the one with the strongest-built wheels. In fact, go for 36 spokes (if
    possible).