Trek's Navigator 300 vs 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

I went to a few dealers and tried many styles of bikes, and I have narrowed my choice down to
two bikes,

the Trek Navigator 300 or Navigator 500 (I passed on the 400 due to not wanting the 7 speed internal
hub setup)

Basically the price difference is about $200, and is not an issue, I realize more $$ means better
quality parts (in most cases) yet I wanted some opinions based mainly on the durability of the
following differences between these models due to the fact that I don't really know alot about the
different options in terms of on hand use and experience and am a heavy rider just looking for the
strongest components within these 2 choices...

The 300 has a RST CT COM TL Fork & The 500 has a RockShox GPS SERRA Fork

Cost wise the 500 is more with RockShox but are they more durable?

The 300 has a Matrix 750 Rim & The 500 has a Bontrager Corvair Rim

Again looking for input on these two rims, which (if either) is the most durable?

The 300 has a Shimano C203 48/38/28 Crankset & The 500 has a SRAM Dual Drive 33T Crankset

Yes again is either of these actually made stronger (more durable)...

I don't plan to off-road with it, yet I am a heavy rider so am looking for the choice of the bike
with the parts that would handle a heavier guy with less potential of breaking parts often.

Thanks for any input,

Bill

If you're a heavy rider, get the one with the strongest-built wheels. In fact, go for 36 spokes (if
possible).

Bill wrote:

> I went to a few dealers and tried many styles of bikes, and I have narrowed my choice down to
> two bikes,
>
> the Trek Navigator 300 or Navigator 500 (I passed on the 400 due to not wanting the 7 speed
> internal hub setup)
>
> Basically the price difference is about $200, and is not an issue, I realize more $$ means better
> quality parts (in most cases) yet I wanted some opinions based mainly on the durability of the
> following differences between these models due to the fact that I don't really know alot about the
> different options in terms of on hand use and experience and am a heavy rider just looking for the
> strongest components within these 2 choices...
>
> The 300 has a RST CT COM TL Fork & The 500 has a RockShox GPS SERRA Fork
>
> Cost wise the 500 is more with RockShox but are they more durable?
>
> The 300 has a Matrix 750 Rim & The 500 has a Bontrager Corvair Rim
>
> Again looking for input on these two rims, which (if either) is the most durable?
>
> The 300 has a Shimano C203 48/38/28 Crankset & The 500 has a SRAM Dual Drive 33T Crankset
>
> Yes again is either of these actually made stronger (more durable)...
>
> I don't plan to off-road with it, yet I am a heavy rider so am looking for the choice of the bike
> with the parts that would handle a heavier guy with less potential of breaking parts often.
>
> Thanks for any input,
>
> Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.