Trek's Ride-with-Lance giveaway anti-Canadian?

Erik Freitag

Guest
I was browsing the rules for the contest, because I have no chance of
winning and would complete embarass myself if I did win, when I came
across this remarkable text:

"A potential recipient of the Grand Prize who is Canadian must
satisfactorily complete a suitable skills test before the prize is
awarded, or alternate winner [sic] will be selected".

My question: what have Canadians done (or what can't they do) to
have Trek single them out this way?

And if you are Québécois, you can't even play.

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:05:11 -0700, Erik Freitag
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was browsing the rules for the contest, because I have no chance of
>winning and would complete embarass myself if I did win, when I came
>across this remarkable text:
>
>"A potential recipient of the Grand Prize who is Canadian must
>satisfactorily complete a suitable skills test before the prize is
>awarded, or alternate winner [sic] will be selected".

That satisfies the provision in the law against unlawful games of
chance or draws. A raffle is a game of chance--but if you subject the
winner to a trivial test, or question -and-answer, then it's a test of
skill, and therefore legal.

I believe similar provisions are on the books in other jurisdictions.

=-Luigi

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:15:07 -0400, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:05:11 -0700, Erik Freitag <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> That satisfies the provision in the law against unlawful games of chance
> or draws. A raffle is a game of chance--but if you subject the winner to
> a trivial test, or question -and-answer, then it's a test of skill, and
> therefore legal.
>
> I believe similar provisions are on the books in other jurisdictions.

Aha. Thanks, I thought maybe Canadians were known wrong-way riders or
wouldn't be fast enough because of the metric system or something.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:05:11 -0700, Erik Freitag
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I was browsing the rules for the contest, because I have no chance of
>> winning and would complete embarass myself if I did win, when I came
>> across this remarkable text:
>>
>> "A potential recipient of the Grand Prize who is Canadian must
>> satisfactorily complete a suitable skills test before the prize is
>> awarded, or alternate winner [sic] will be selected".

> That satisfies the provision in the law against unlawful games of
> chance or draws. A raffle is a game of chance--but if you subject the
> winner to a trivial test, or question -and-answer, then it's a test of
> skill, and therefore legal.
>
> I believe similar provisions are on the books in other jurisdictions.

Quite right. And the "test" will be along the lines of:

"OK, to win the *Trek* Ride With Lance give-away, just answer this simple
question: what brand of bike does Lance ride?"

and, as you say, it's all perfectly legal.

--

A: Top-posters.

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:15:07 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>That satisfies the provision in the law against unlawful games of
>chance or draws.

Damn. I was sitting here trying to make up some stupid explanation,
and here you come up with this perfectly governmental one, saving me
the trouble.