trendy fixies in NYT

Bill Westphal

Guest
Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1>

On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
the game.

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:07:26 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>>
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be sneared
> at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of the game.

The trend has hit here too, especially since the bike co-op got going here
in Blacksburg. Kinda weird because it's so hilly around here. But all of
a sudden there are more bikes downtown than ever. Young people are
excited about bikes again, which is great to see.

I rode a fixed gear a lot when I was in high school. On flat terrain and
in traffic they make a lot of sense (thus their popularity in places like
NYC and London). It's easier to pace traffic by modulating pedaling speed
than by pedaling, coasting, and braking. But riding without a brake is
just stupid.

Matt O.

On Apr 29, 3:07 pm, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> the game.

I ride the only fixed gear around here so I don't know how prevalent
this craze really is, but I've seen pics of bikes with no brakes and
BMX type platform pedals with no clips of any kind. That's crazy. I
ride no brakes, but around here I could get away with having no brakes
on my car! Riding no brakes in any but the most cautiously
conservative way in a place where there are actually things to crash
into is asking for it.

Joseph

On Apr 29, 8:07 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> the game.

Lots here in Nashville as well. The vast majority ride like self
righteous assholes. Saw a whole bunch in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Same
self absorbed punk attitude as skateboarders, but much more of a
public danger. As cyclists here are such a small portion of traffic,
such idiots reflect badly on those of us that try to share the road
politely. It's become so hip that after I helped a young guy down the
street shorten his chain after he'd had the LBS convert his Varsity to
SS--I had to convince him to keep at least one brake--on a bike that
freewheels.

The article says about a fixie, "the chain is shorter
and wider than on traditional bikes". The author's
sense of tradition evidently doesn't go very far back.

It calls a derailleur "the device that made multiple
gears a reality" even though hub gears were in
common use before derailleurs.

And it makes no mention of it being illegal
to ride without a brake in New York state; see
Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1236(c).

Tom Ace

On 29 Apr 2007 08:39:39 -0700, Tom Ace <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>And it makes no mention of it being illegal
>to ride without a brake in New York state; see
>Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1236(c).
>
>Tom Ace

Dear Tom,

Oh, dear, the New York bicycle-brake law has changed!

"The recent proposed ordinance requiring all bicycles in New York to
be equipped with suitable brakes was defeated, and as before, the use
of the brake is optional with the rider. Loudly as the scorcher [fast
rider] may deny its utility, the fact remains that this light
accessory adds greatly to the self-confidence of the average cyclist,
and should always be part of the equipment of a lady’s mount. There
are at the present time a number of good brakes on the market which
can be attached to the front or back wheel, operated by hand or foot
pressure, and which can be depended upon to stop a bicycle quickly
enough to avoid danger without injury to the tire."

"Outing" magazine 1896

http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_28/outXXVIII02/outXXVIII02zd.pdf

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

landotter wrote:
> On Apr 29, 8:07 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

>> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right
>> along with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent
>> smashed into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to
>> be sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all
>> part of the game.

> Lots here in Nashville as well. The vast majority ride like self
> righteous assholes. Saw a whole bunch in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Same
> self absorbed punk attitude as skateboarders, but much more of a
> public danger. As cyclists here are such a small portion of traffic,
> such idiots reflect badly on those of us that try to share the road
> politely. It's become so hip that after I helped a young guy down the
> street shorten his chain after he'd had the LBS convert his Varsity to
> SS--I had to convince him to keep at least one brake--on a bike that
> freewheels.

You did us all a disservice by maintaining the gene pool... :p
--
Phil

> Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> the game.

Yep, way too cool, can't get 'em to spring for a $20 brake:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/FACEPLNT.JPG

Tracks don't have potholes, buses, drunks walking out between cars. . .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Apr 29, 6:05 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> landotter wrote:

> >> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right
> >> along with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent
> >> smashed into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to
> >> be sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all
> >> part of the game.

> > Lots here in Nashville as well. The vast majority ride like self
> > righteous assholes. Saw a whole bunch in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Same
> > self absorbed punk attitude as skateboarders, but much more of a
> > public danger. As cyclists here are such a small portion of traffic,
> > such idiots reflect badly on those of us that try to share the road
> > politely. It's become so hip that after I helped a young guy down the
> > street shorten his chain after he'd had the LBS convert his Varsity to
> > SS--I had to convince him to keep at least one brake--on a bike that
> > freewheels.

> You did us all a disservice by maintaining the gene pool... :p

Maybe not. It's a Varsity caliper with original rock hard pad on a
chrome rim. I've already seen him resort to his shoes a few times
around the neighborhood. Vans sneakers of course.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:07:26 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>>>
>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

>> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
>> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
>> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be sneared
>> at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of the game.

> The trend has hit here too, especially since the bike co-op got going here
> in Blacksburg. Kinda weird because it's so hilly around here. But all of
> a sudden there are more bikes downtown than ever. Young people are
> excited about bikes again, which is great to see.
>
> I rode a fixed gear a lot when I was in high school. On flat terrain and
> in traffic they make a lot of sense (thus their popularity in places like
> NYC and London). It's easier to pace traffic by modulating pedaling speed
> than by pedaling, coasting, and braking. But riding without a brake is
> just stupid.

Yep, I've been digging my fixie around my current flatlands but I'm
leaving both brakes on. I don't care how trendy running track style is.

Greg
--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

In article <[email protected]>,
Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
> >
> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> the game.

As I occasionally shout out during races, "sometimes the Yellow Line
Rule is self-enforcing!"

If I could take this back to a slightly more technical line, what's the
consensus on lockrings for street fixies? The easy way to make a cheapo
fixie is to spin a cog onto an old freewheel hub, thus bringing up the
question.

My first-cut thought is that with a front brake, that's probably enough,
but perhaps I say that as someone who has never experienced total
failure of a brake.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>>>
>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

>> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
>> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
>> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
>> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
>> the game.

> As I occasionally shout out during races, "sometimes the Yellow Line
> Rule is self-enforcing!"
>
> If I could take this back to a slightly more technical line, what's the
> consensus on lockrings for street fixies? The easy way to make a cheapo
> fixie is to spin a cog onto an old freewheel hub, thus bringing up the
> question.

I ride with a guy who rides with no brakes on a hacked together fixed
with the cog glued on with just Locktite Blue. He's very deliberate
when we're in traffic but still.

> My first-cut thought is that with a front brake, that's probably enough,
> but perhaps I say that as someone who has never experienced total
> failure of a brake.

I never use my rear brake but am glad it's there. It's probably overkill.

I am thinking about building a REALLY cheap fixie with a big basket and
very low gear for going to the store slowly so I probably won't put
brakes on that one.

Greg

--

On Apr 29, 8:48 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
> > > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> > Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> > with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> > into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> > sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> > the game.

> As I occasionally shout out during races, "sometimes the Yellow Line
> Rule is self-enforcing!"

Every so often, someone writes an article about how
the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
kids turn that crazy music down!"

I ride a fixed gear with two brakes because I (1) am an
old fart, (2) like the hoods hand position, and (3) am so
outrageously powerful that I regularly accelerate to
massive speeds where stopping with just backpressure
is awkward. That said, I understand from this article
that some twentysomethings are engaging in a pursuit of
looking fashionable at the risk of being imprudent. I'm
shocked, shocked to hear that gambling with their safety
is going on here!

> If I could take this back to a slightly more technical line, what's the
> consensus on lockrings for street fixies? The easy way to make a cheapo
> fixie is to spin a cog onto an old freewheel hub, thus bringing up the
> question.
>
> My first-cut thought is that with a front brake, that's probably enough,
> but perhaps I say that as someone who has never experienced total
> failure of a brake.

In principle, if you spin a cog onto a freewheel hub, which is
what I do, you oughta have two brakes. In practice, if you
put the cog on tight enough, and have a front brake, there have
to be two failures to deprive you of all braking. I think adding
a BB lockring onto the freewheel hub is a good idea but not
really defensible on engineering grounds. The primary safety
measure is having the cog on quite tight; if the cog loosens,
the lockring is unlikely to help very much.

Ben

G.T. wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
>>> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
>>> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
>>> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
>>> the game.

>> As I occasionally shout out during races, "sometimes the Yellow Line
>> Rule is self-enforcing!"
>>
>> If I could take this back to a slightly more technical line, what's
>> the consensus on lockrings for street fixies? The easy way to make a
>> cheapo fixie is to spin a cog onto an old freewheel hub, thus bringing
>> up the question.

> I ride with a guy who rides with no brakes on a hacked together fixed
> with the cog glued on with just Locktite Blue. He's very deliberate
> when we're in traffic but still.

"deliberate"? "deliberately contesting for a darwin award" more like -
what a prime candidate!

>> My first-cut thought is that with a front brake, that's probably
>> enough, but perhaps I say that as someone who has never experienced
>> total failure of a brake.
>>

> I never use my rear brake but am glad it's there. It's probably overkill.
>
> I am thinking about building a REALLY cheap fixie with a big basket and
> very low gear for going to the store slowly so I probably won't put
> brakes on that one.
>
> Greg

> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1>

The operative word here is trendy, and fixies make about as much sense
as most other trends, like fart pipes on ricers, removing the baffles
from new Harleys, and those silly wide tires that stick out from the
fenders of aging Honda Preludes. How many of us here have gone years
without any trouble from our brakes or drivetrain? The comment that
brake pads were a financial hardship was especially priceless.

> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> the game.

Wearing your hoodie and your messinger bag on the way to the corner
Starbucks to drink an overpriced latté.

In Portland I think they are called fakinger Boys.

Chas.

On Apr 30, 12:16 pm, Barnard Frederick <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> The operative word here is trendy, and fixies make about as much sense
> as most other trends, like fart pipes on ricers, removing the baffles
> from new Harleys, and those silly wide tires that stick out from the
> fenders of aging Honda Preludes.

That's really a stretch. If you mean guys that run track style with
negative rise bars and frames four sizes to small--yeah, that's
ridiculous affectation for the most part--then maybe.

But a fixed or single speed gear set up specifically for the road is
no more scorn-worthy than a bike with hub or derailleur gearing. It's
just a bike with a gear. I occasionally get yelled at to "go all the
way" with that bike and make it a fixie. That I don't get. A fixed
gear is a bit of a devolution from a freewheeling bike. Of course it's
fun to devolve at times...

> How many of us here have gone years
> without any trouble from our brakes or drivetrain?

If you've gone years without having to replace cables or do minor
adjustments, then you're not riding enough. :p Modern kit does work
well, and it's pretty durable--but I'd gladly do a half century here
in middle Tennessee on my single speed (freewheeling) road bike. No
clacking or thinking about gearing, just spinning. Mind, it's a one
gear road bike, not a converted track bike. It totally changes the way
you approach a longer ride. You have to plan for long hills coming out
from the river with just the right balance of attack and reserve.

I do have a fixie, but I us it more as an under 7 mile scrappy city
bike. Brakes on both ends.

>The comment that
> brake pads were a financial hardship was especially priceless.

That's certainly ludicrous.

landotter wrote:
> On Apr 30, 12:16 pm, Barnard Frederick <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>
>>> Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

>> The operative word here is trendy, and fixies make about as much sense
>> as most other trends, like fart pipes on ricers, removing the baffles
>> from new Harleys, and those silly wide tires that stick out from the
>> fenders of aging Honda Preludes.

> That's really a stretch. If you mean guys that run track style with
> negative rise bars and frames four sizes to small--yeah, that's
> ridiculous affectation for the most part--then maybe.

There are a LOT of those around here. Bars more than 12" below saddle
height.

Greg