trendy fixies in NYT

On Apr 30, 12:38 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Bill Westphal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...
> =1&_r=1>
>

> A new source of income for orthopedic surgeons - fixie knees....
>
> Chas.

Yeah, considering that the trend is to taller gears. Maybe the clearly
visible gear ratio is like antlers in the wild or somethin'? Mine's
only 42x15 and if I feel any discomfort, I flop to freewheel for a few
days.

Don't forget the chiropractor bills from running those bars 12" below
the saddle, Guantanamo Bay style!!

On Apr 30, 1:14 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 12:38 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Bill Westphal" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.

> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...
> > =1&_r=1>

> > A new source of income for orthopedic surgeons - fixie knees....

> > Chas.

> Yeah, considering that the trend is to taller gears. Maybe the clearly
> visible gear ratio is like antlers in the wild or somethin'? Mine's
> only 42x15 and if I feel any discomfort, I flop to freewheel for a few
> days.
>
> Don't forget the chiropractor bills from running those bars 12" below
> the saddle, Guantanamo Bay style!!

"Image is Everything"

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Apr 28, 10:10 pm, Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Finally, something trendy not from Cal.
>> >

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>
>>
>> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right along
>> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
>> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
>> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
>> the game.
>>

> Wearing your hoodie and your messinger bag on the way to the corner
> Starbucks to drink an overpriced latté.
>
> In Portland I think they are called fakinger Boys.

I haven't heard that moniker, but it fits. I think fixies have their
place -- they are super easy to maintain, which is good for riding in the
rain here in PDX. For me, it is more important to have fenders, and some
of these fixies are current generation track bikes with barely enough
clearance for 23mm tires let alone fenders. I commuted and trained (because
I rode track) on a fixed gear for many years, but now just do it as a
novelty when the mood hits -- and always with a brake. Too many hills for my
old knees to be commuting regularly on a fixie.

Not having brakes is a whole other issue that has gotten a lot of press here
in town with various traffic judges holding that fixed gear braking (i.e.
back pedalling) is -- or is not -- a "brake" within the meaning of the UVC.
Latest ruling is that it is not. So the rebels without a brake are getting
busted.

The local messengers are the usual herd of disaffected Bohemians kids, but
they generally stay out of my way -- and don't get in to tons of trouble.
If we want to talk about dangerous kids, let's talk about punk
snow-boarders. I'm pack'n heat next season. -- Jay Beattie.

> landotter wrote:
> > On Apr 30, 12:16 pm, Barnard Frederick <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>
> >> The operative word here is trendy, and fixies make about as much

sense
> >> as most other trends, like fart pipes on ricers, removing the baffles
> >> from new Harleys, and those silly wide tires that stick out from the
> >> fenders of aging Honda Preludes.

> > That's really a stretch. If you mean guys that run track style with
> > negative rise bars and frames four sizes to small--yeah, that's
> > ridiculous affectation for the most part--then maybe.
> >

> There are a LOT of those around here. Bars more than 12" below saddle
> height.
>
> Greg

My num-nuts neighbor is fascinated with my bike collection. He hadn't been
on a bike since he was a kid. He just turned 50, has a very bad back,
smokes like a chimney and is a full time stoner. He could have starred in
a Cheech and Chong movie.

Several months ago he showed up on my porch with a 50cm 1990 Miyata
tri-athalon bike in like new condition. He said he just bought it for $25
and asked me to adjust it so that he could ride it. He's about 5' 11" with
a 32" inseam.

Just for yuks I rode it around the block. It handled really squirrelly
with the 4 Lbs. plus Scott aero bars. He said he bought it because he
liked the colors..... DOH!

I talked him into getting rid of it so that I wouldn't end up in a
liability issue with him - he's one of those kind of people. I suggested
that he get a simple inexpensive upright bike to see how riding would
affect his back.

Two weeks ago he shows up on my porch again with his brand new fixie. He
just paid $600 for a bike he said was regularly $1200. A LBS had a
"seminar" on fixies for all of the local doofuses. They were demonstrating
skip stopping, curb jumping and so on - no brakes needed.

The bike was some off brand Asian import I'd never heard of. He said they
measured him for the bike and adjusted everything to fit. It was a 60cm
frame with an 11.5" BB and a 35" standover height. The seat was so high
that he could barely get his feet on the rat trap pedals.

Another neighbor and I talked num-nuts into taking the bike back. Instead
of exchanging the bike for a frame size that fit, the LBS put on a front
brake and a coaster brake and sent him on his way. It was probably more
his fault because "he liked the color". Wonder if they have liability
insurance?

Chas.

On Apr 30, 2:12 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 1:14 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 30, 12:38 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Bill Westphal" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...
> > > =1&_r=1>

> > > A new source of income for orthopedic surgeons - fixie knees....

> > > Chas.

> > Yeah, considering that the trend is to taller gears. Maybe the clearly
> > visible gear ratio is like antlers in the wild or somethin'? Mine's
> > only 42x15 and if I feel any discomfort, I flop to freewheel for a few
> > days.

> > Don't forget the chiropractor bills from running those bars 12" below
> > the saddle, Guantanamo Bay style!!

> "Image is Everything"

"Burlap is the new Coolmaxx!"

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> >> Yep, this craziness is in Full swing here in the republic..right

along
> >> with the Bianchi with the crushed downtube as the young gent smashed
> >> into a car..having a front brake is considered poor form, to be
> >> sneared at. Vans type shoes, wrong way, thru stoplights...all part of
> >> the game.
> >>

> > Wearing your hoodie and your messinger bag on the way to the corner
> > Starbucks to drink an overpriced latté.
> >
> > In Portland I think they are called fakinger Boys.

> I haven't heard that moniker, but it fits. I think fixies have their
> place -- they are super easy to maintain, which is good for riding in

the
> rain here in PDX. For me, it is more important to have fenders, and

some
> of these fixies are current generation track bikes with barely enough
> clearance for 23mm tires let alone fenders. I commuted and trained

(because
> I rode track) on a fixed gear for many years, but now just do it as a
> novelty when the mood hits -- and always with a brake. Too many hills

for my
> old knees to be commuting regularly on a fixie.

Training and having riden track is a very valid reason to ride a fixed
gear bike. We had a number of classic 1930s vintage track bikes haging on
display in our shop. Occasionally we'd take them out for a spin. I rode
1/2 of a century (Tour of the Rio Grande Valley) on a 1936 Durkopf once
but as you say, it was a novelty.

> Not having brakes is a whole other issue that has gotten a lot of press

here
> in town with various traffic judges holding that fixed gear braking

(i.e.
> back pedalling) is -- or is not -- a "brake" within the meaning of the

UVC.
> Latest ruling is that it is not. So the rebels without a brake are

getting
> busted.

What I dislike is the stupid disdain for the rules of the road displayed
by the doofuses. It gives cycylists a bad rap.

> The local messengers are the usual herd of disaffected Bohemians kids,

but
> they generally stay out of my way -- and don't get in to tons of

trouble.
> If we want to talk about dangerous kids, let's talk about punk
> snow-boarders. I'm pack'n heat next season. -- Jay Beattie.

It's trendy to be a fake working class hero and wanna-be proletariat like
the messengers. Goes along with Microsoft bikers on their full dress
hawgs.

Chas.

On Apr 30, 10:01 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's trendy to be a fake working class hero and wanna-be proletariat like
> the messengers. Goes along with Microsoft bikers on their full dress
> hawgs.

I remeber the first time I saw a fake gas-station attendant shirt. I
couldn't believe it. Wearing a real one to show your bona-fides is
lame enough I guess, but a fake one?

Joseph

On Apr 30, 3:01 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> What I dislike is the stupid disdain for the rules of the road displayed
> by the doofuses. It gives cycylists a bad rap.

Yeah, I think in cities where they've had messengers for years that
motorists can distinguish between the messengers and wannabes, and
those folks just trying to get from A to B. It's in cities that have
never had a messenger culture, like my current locale, where those
guys really give everybody a bad name.

> > The local messengers are the usual herd of disaffected Bohemians kids,

> but
> > they generally stay out of my way -- and don't get in to tons of

> trouble.
> > If we want to talk about dangerous kids, let's talk about punk
> > snow-boarders. I'm pack'n heat next season. -- Jay Beattie.

> It's trendy to be a fake working class hero and wanna-be proletariat like
> the messengers. Goes along with Microsoft bikers on their full dress
> hawgs.

Fake bikers are the best. I always ask the ones with lots of fringe
where the pull cord is. You know, 'cause it looks like a lamp.

Fake working class hero? If they could only all dress like Jennifer
Beals in Flashdance! Ohhhlala!

On Apr 30, 9:57 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2:12 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yeah, considering that the trend is to taller gears. Maybe the clearly
> > > visible gear ratio is like antlers in the wild or somethin'? Mine's
> > > only 42x15 and if I feel any discomfort, I flop to freewheel for a few
> > > days.

> > > Don't forget the chiropractor bills from running those bars 12" below
> > > the saddle, Guantanamo Bay style!!

> > "Image is Everything"

> "Burlap is the new Coolmaxx!"

I think Hemp is more where it's at with these guys.

Joseph

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > landotter wrote:

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> sense
> > >
> > > That's really a stretch. If you mean guys that run track style with
> > > negative rise bars and frames four sizes to small--yeah, that's
> > > ridiculous affectation for the most part--then maybe.
> > >

> > There are a LOT of those around here. Bars more than 12" below saddle
> > height.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> My num-nuts neighbor is fascinated with my bike collection. He hadn't been
> on a bike since he was a kid. He just turned 50, has a very bad back,
> smokes like a chimney and is a full time stoner. He could have starred in
> a Cheech and Chong movie.
>
> Several months ago he showed up on my porch with a 50cm 1990 Miyata
> tri-athalon bike in like new condition. He said he just bought it for $25
> and asked me to adjust it so that he could ride it. He's about 5' 11" with
> a 32" inseam.

> I talked him into getting rid of it so that I wouldn't end up in a
> liability issue with him - he's one of those kind of people.

> Two weeks ago he shows up on my porch again with his brand new fixie. He
> just paid $600 for a bike he said was regularly $1200. A LBS had a
> "seminar" on fixies for all of the local doofuses. They were demonstrating
> skip stopping, curb jumping and so on - no brakes needed.

> The seat was so high
> that he could barely get his feet on the rat trap pedals.
>
> Another neighbor and I talked num-nuts into taking the bike back. Instead
> of exchanging the bike for a frame size that fit, the LBS put on a front
> brake and a coaster brake and sent him on his way.

Landotter: did you get him to sell you the Miyata?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 30, 9:57 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Apr 30, 2:12 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > "Image is Everything"

>> "Burlap is the new Coolmaxx!"

> I think Hemp is more where it's at with these guys.

Yet another style trend: the white Rasta. I guess growing up in the suburbs
makes one yearn for a more exotic culture. -- Jay Beattie.

On Apr 30, 5:04 pm, "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Apr 30, 9:57 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> "Burlap is the new Coolmaxx!"

> > I think Hemp is more where it's at with these guys.

> Yet another style trend: the white Rasta. I guess growing up in the suburbs
> makes one yearn for a more exotic culture. -- Jay Beattie.

That's been going on for years--and in my experience, the vast
majority of kids that adopted the style, were suburban looking for
"cred". Problem is that *most* pale folks hair doesn't naturally
dread, so you have to use waxes and pomades, which seals the dreads,
and provides a nice nesting place for parasites. I remember an entire
colony of these folks on the west coast having to clipper their heads
because of an infestation. Gaaaak and bluuurg. People of black African
origin can usually dread their hair with no such troubles, as it
remains porous and may be shampooed gently.

I hear that if you dress like an Episcopalian and smoke weed, you're
*much* less likely to get busted anyway. ;-)

On Apr 30, 4:08 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> > <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> > sense

> > > There are a LOT of those around here. Bars more than 12" below saddle
> > > height.

> > > Greg

> > My num-nuts neighbor is fascinated with my bike collection. He hadn't been
> > on a bike since he was a kid. He just turned 50, has a very bad back,
> > smokes like a chimney and is a full time stoner. He could have starred in
> > a Cheech and Chong movie.

> > Several months ago he showed up on my porch with a 50cm 1990 Miyata
> > tri-athalon bike in like new condition. He said he just bought it for $25
> > and asked me to adjust it so that he could ride it. He's about 5' 11" with
> > a 32" inseam.
>>brake and a coaster brake and sent him on his way.

> Landotter: did you get him to sell you the Miyata?

Your threading's off, that would be **Chas.

I'd love it if a 58-60cm circa '85 Miyata fell in my lap, I need to
build a nice all-rounder, and with one of their bikes as a starting
point, it doesn't take much to mildly modernize. Of course, such bikes
of that era are having their derailleur tabs ground and converted to
fixed gear.

Ben wrote:

> Every so often, someone writes an article about how
> the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
> RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
> young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
> we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
> kids turn that crazy music down!"
>
> I ride a fixed gear with two brakes because I (1) am an
> old fart, (2) like the hoods hand position, and (3) am so
> outrageously powerful that I regularly accelerate to
> massive speeds where stopping with just backpressure
> is awkward. That said, I understand from this article
> that some twentysomethings are engaging in a pursuit of
> looking fashionable at the risk of being imprudent. I'm
> shocked, shocked to hear that gambling with their safety
> is going on here!

I have a difficult time seeing no-brakes fixed gear riding as being
categorically worse than, say, skateboarding or rollerblading. And
though street riding on both skateboards and brakeless fixies is
technically illegal in most places, these modes are in many cases
appropriate and socially responsible means of urban transport that
other street users should be prepared to accommodate.

I like brakes, and I generally won't venture out on the streets
without them (though I make an exception for jaunts on my adult-sized
Big Wheel trike). But pressed to make a choice about whether I'd
prefer to share the road with hipsters on brakeless fixies or SUV-
driving suburbanites talking on cell phones behind black tinted
windows, I'd opt for fixie riders every time.

Chalo

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ben wrote:
>>
>> Every so often, someone writes an article about how
>> the New Trend is fixies, and someone else posts it to
>> RBT, and a bunch of people chorus about irresponsible
>> young bicycle riders ruining it for the rest of us. Then
>> we stick our heads out the window and yell "Would you
>> kids turn that crazy music down!"
>>
>> I ride a fixed gear with two brakes because I (1) am an
>> old fart, (2) like the hoods hand position, and (3) am so
>> outrageously powerful that I regularly accelerate to
>> massive speeds where stopping with just backpressure
>> is awkward. That said, I understand from this article
>> that some twentysomethings are engaging in a pursuit of
>> looking fashionable at the risk of being imprudent. I'm
>> shocked, shocked to hear that gambling with their safety
>> is going on here!

> I have a difficult time seeing no-brakes fixed gear riding as being
> categorically worse than, say, skateboarding or rollerblading. And
> though street riding on both skateboards and brakeless fixies is
> technically illegal in most places, these modes are in many cases
> appropriate and socially responsible means of urban transport that
> other street users should be prepared to accommodate.
>
> I like brakes, and I generally won't venture out on the streets
> without them (though I make an exception for jaunts on my adult-sized
> Big Wheel trike). But pressed to make a choice about whether I'd
> prefer to share the road with hipsters on brakeless fixies or SUV-
> driving suburbanites talking on cell phones behind black tinted
> windows, I'd opt for fixie riders every time.

Same here. But even if there are no cars I sure don't want some brakeless
fixie rider ramming into me because he couldn't make the stop at an
intersection.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

wrote:

says...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...>

> > sense

baffles

the

with

> > > There are a LOT of those around here. Bars more than 12" below

saddle
> > > height.
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >

> > My num-nuts neighbor is fascinated with my bike collection. He hadn't

been
> > on a bike since he was a kid. He just turned 50, has a very bad back,
> > smokes like a chimney and is a full time stoner. He could have starred

in
> > a Cheech and Chong movie.
> >
> > Several months ago he showed up on my porch with a 50cm 1990 Miyata
> > tri-athalon bike in like new condition. He said he just bought it for

$25
> > and asked me to adjust it so that he could ride it. He's about 5' 11"

with
> > a 32" inseam.

> > I talked him into getting rid of it so that I wouldn't end up in a
> > liability issue with him - he's one of those kind of people.

> > Two weeks ago he shows up on my porch again with his brand new fixie.

He
> > just paid $600 for a bike he said was regularly $1200. A LBS had a
> > "seminar" on fixies for all of the local doofuses. They were

demonstrating
> > skip stopping, curb jumping and so on - no brakes needed.

> > The seat was so high
> > that he could barely get his feet on the rat trap pedals.
> >
> > Another neighbor and I talked num-nuts into taking the bike back.

Instead
> > of exchanging the bike for a frame size that fit, the LBS put on a

front
> > brake and a coaster brake and sent him on his way.

> Landotter: did you get him to sell you the Miyata?
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/

I thought about it but the frame geometry was way too squirrelly - 50cm
c-c seat tube, 56cm c-c toptube with a 70° headtube angle with a 75° seat
tube and about a 38mm to 44mm fork rake.

Chas.

news:[email protected]...

wrote:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.html?pagewa...

knees....

Mine's

for a

below

> > > I think Hemp is more where it's at with these guys.

> > Yet another style trend: the white Rasta. I guess growing up in the

suburbs
> > makes one yearn for a more exotic culture. -- Jay Beattie.

> That's been going on for years--and in my experience, the vast
> majority of kids that adopted the style, were suburban looking for
> "cred". Problem is that *most* pale folks hair doesn't naturally
> dread, so you have to use waxes and pomades, which seals the dreads,
> and provides a nice nesting place for parasites. I remember an entire
> colony of these folks on the west coast having to clipper their heads
> because of an infestation. Gaaaak and bluuurg. People of black African
> origin can usually dread their hair with no such troubles, as it
> remains porous and may be shampooed gently.
>
> I hear that if you dress like an Episcopalian and smoke weed, you're
> *much* less likely to get busted anyway. ;-)

Smoking ganja is no excuse for a native lack of intelligence amongst the
shredder er I mean fixie crowd.

Chas.

On Apr 30, 6:00 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:04 pm, "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > I think Hemp is more where it's at with these guys.

> > Yet another style trend: the white Rasta. I guess growing up in the suburbs
> > makes one yearn for a more exotic culture. -- Jay Beattie.

> That's been going on for years--and in my experience, the vast
> majority of kids that adopted the style, were suburban looking for
> "cred". Problem is that *most* pale folks hair doesn't naturally
> dread, so you have to use waxes and pomades, which seals the dreads,
> and provides a nice nesting place for parasites. I remember an entire
> colony of these folks on the west coast having to clipper their heads
> because of an infestation. Gaaaak and bluuurg. People of black African
> origin can usually dread their hair with no such troubles, as it
> remains porous and may be shampooed gently.
>
> I hear that if you dress like an Episcopalian

Does this require a cross bike a cross bike? ;-)

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > My num-nuts neighbor is fascinated with my bike collection. He hadn't

> been
> > > on a bike since he was a kid. He just turned 50, has a very bad back,
> > > smokes like a chimney and is a full time stoner. He could have starred

> in
> > > a Cheech and Chong movie.
> > >
> > > Several months ago he showed up on my porch with a 50cm 1990 Miyata
> > > tri-athalon bike in like new condition. He said he just bought it for

> $25

> > Landotter: did you get him to sell you the Miyata?

> I thought about it but the frame geometry was way too squirrelly - 50cm
> c-c seat tube, 56cm c-c toptube with a 70° headtube angle with a 75° seat
> tube and about a 38mm to 44mm fork rake.
>
> Chas.

D'oh, apologies for the misattribution. That's an oddly oversquare
frame. It wasn't meant for a 650c front wheel (funny-bike configuration)
or something like that, was it?

So if I'm reading this right, relatively steep seat tube, relatively
slack steer tube...probably part of the standard thinking of tri-bikes
being for going in a straight line, right?